Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
this is the job of an actuary. they evaluate risk and assign costs to each risk. if one doesn't like that, they don't have to get insurance at all. this isn't a government issue either, so those that keep saying they don't want the government telling them what to do are just missing the point....insurance companies are well within their right in a private, capitalist society to charge you however much they want for whatever they deem risky activity. if you don't like that, you can ask the government for protections against that. that's where the government comes into play.
What about people on medicaid? That's government funded and operated. What about the new health car law that forces people to buy health insurance?

Quote:
don't like that a doctor won't see your kid? tough. you made your choice. don't like a daycare won't take your kid? can't send them to school? all part of the decision you made. as should be higher healthcare premiums, since you are simply a higher risk to the insurance company.
It's kind of silly to think that all Dr's are 100% pro-vaccination. They aren't. There are already rules in place regarding schools. That would be government controls over vaccination decisions which has nothing to do with insurance companies.

Quote:
debate whether or not vaccines work all you want. leave it to the actuaries to decide what the insurance companies think works and doesn't work.
Why not leave health care decisions to the patient and their doctor instead of huge corporations interested in nothing but profits?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

It's kind of silly to think that all Dr's are 100% pro-vaccination. They aren't. There are already rules in place regarding schools. That would be government controls over vaccination decisions which has nothing to do with insurance companies.
That is it. All Dr's are not 100% pro-vaccination or pro non-vaccination. You have to be able to trust your doctor and find one who suits what your believes and values are and be able to find a doctor that is willing to discuss such issues with you so that your family and the doctor can come up with the decision that is best for the family, but is an educated decision and that all facts are considered either way.

Quote:
Why not leave health care decisions to the patient and their doctor instead of huge corporations interested in nothing but profits?
I agree. Decisions like this should not be left up to the government and only the doctor and patient. I think people tend to prefer having the government make all their decisions for them then because they don't have to stay informed and it makes it easier for them having the decision made for them.

Sorry, but I didn't serve my country, and my husband isn't serving his country, so that the government can dictate our every decision on what THEY feel is best (which often times isn't) right for us

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
That is it. All Dr's are not 100% pro-vaccination or pro non-vaccination. You have to be able to trust your doctor and find one who suits what your believes and values are and be able to find a doctor that is willing to discuss such issues with you so that your family and the doctor can come up with the decision that is best for the family, but is an educated decision and that all facts are considered either way.
You know, I hear this argument often. "There are doctors who are not pro-vaccination". My reply is "so what?"

I could probably find a geologist or astronomer somewhere who wanted to argue that the earth is flat. Maybe there is some physicist somewhere who would argue there is no "law of gravity". Its not what degree the person holds that's important here. What's important is whether they are basing medical practice upon hard science instead of voodoo medicine. The science behind vaccination has been so firmly established that no person in their right mind would argue against the general principle. Some people do dispute vaccination schedules. I don't think disputing schedules established by reputable bodies like the CDC based on opinions of "anonymous physicians" who oppose vaccination is very bright, but I don't put in quite the same category as opposing all vaccination.

I'd for once like to see a list of all pediatricians and family practice physicians in this country who are licensed with either an M.D., or a D.O. who oppose vaccination. I am not counting naturopaths, herbalists, or chiropractors in my survey. So, if there is a list like this than please provide it.

Quote:
I agree. Decisions like this should not be left up to the government and only the doctor and patient. I think people tend to prefer having the government make all their decisions for them then because they don't have to stay informed and it makes it easier for them having the decision made for them.

Sorry, but I didn't serve my country, and my husband isn't serving his country, so that the government can dictate our every decision on what THEY feel is best (which often times isn't) right for us

A person who chooses to reject vaccination for their children after all the data that proves it efficacy is truly misinformed. He/she would be a person who ignores guidance from reputable bodies such as the Center for Disease Control, the Food and Drug Administration, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Academy of Family Practice Physicians in favor of listening to what a handful of herbalists and conspiracy freaks believe.

If you and your husband are/have been in the military than you darn well know that there are some things in this country that are compulsory and not mere options for people. I include paying your taxes, jury duty, feeding your children, and sending your kids to school in the list of things that are compulsory.

Vaccination is compulsory in many places because it not only protects your children, but other children from disease as well.

Sometimes I wonder if anti-vaxers absorb anything that is posted here

Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
What about people on medicaid? That's government funded and operated. What about the new health car law that forces people to buy health insurance?
if you're referring to the individual mandate...you're not forced to buy insurance. there's various exceptions, or you could just pay the penalty. you don't go to jail if you don't buy insurance.

Quote:
there's plenty of rules you must follow for attending schools. vaccinating is just one of many many rules. homeschool or send to private school that will accept them if you don't like the rules. since public school is funded by everyone, public schools are governed by societal rules. don't like em, don't send the kids there.

Quote:
the decision is between the patient and doctor. no one says you have to vaccinate your child. but, if you want to participate in certain societal things putting other people at risk, then that's where these rules come in. maybe i like walking around nude. much healthier, let's my skin breath. but that doesn't mean i can walk around wherever i want nude.

you must realize, the non-vaccinated movement is a very very tiny group of people. you can throw all the studies out there you want, but the facts are out there. if you want to blame huge corporations, then lock yourself in a tiny little house and live off the grid. remove yourself from society. the big bad government and companies are all out to get you.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if anti-vaxers absorb anything that is posted here
no need to wonder.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Quote:
no need to wonder.
From posting here I have noticed that there are 2 parenting buckets.

Anti-vaxers/Anti-circ/Breast is best/homescoolers/co-sleepers

Vaxers/Circers/Formula/Public School/Mean Moms

Old school versus new school, maybe?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
When you buy a health insurance policy, you are purchasing a product. The insurance company designs the product --- what will be covered --- and the employer or the individual decides which product fits the needs of the group or that particular individual. You choose the level of deductible and the copayment you are comfortable with. You can even choose whether you want maternity coverage or not with some plans.

Being a member of a group helps spread the risk over multiple individuals and the result is usually a lower premium. If you buy as an individual, you will pay more if you are overweight or you smoke or if you have certain health conditions. If the group is fairly small, and one person generates a large claim, the premium for the whole group may go up the next year.

Factoring in lack of vaccinations as a risk factor would be no different. A person who takes the flu vaccine is less likely to generate a claim for a flu related illness. For the insurance company to reward that person with a lower premium is totally reasonable. If you decide not to take the vaccine, then you accept more risk for yourself, and you should be prepared to pay for it. As bradykp said, there are people whose job it is to quantify those risks. That info is used to set the premium.

The government does not design the insurance product. That is a different issue from mandatory vaccination in order to attend public school. Since one of the functions of the government (which is us, by the way) is to protect the public welfare, which vaccines do very well, then requiring vaccines in order to attend public school is both reasonable and desirable.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
From posting here I have noticed that there are 2 parenting buckets.

Anti-vaxers/Anti-circ/Breast is best/homescoolers/co-sleepers

Vaxers/Circers/Formula/Public School/Mean Moms

Old school versus new school, maybe?
So you're a mean-mom?

J/k.

I don't fit into any one of those groups.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you're a mean-mom?

J/k.

I don't fit into any one of those groups.
I am

Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
if you're referring to the individual mandate...you're not forced to buy insurance. there's various exceptions, or you could just pay the penalty. you don't go to jail if you don't buy insurance.
You are forced to pay, one way or another (penalty or insurance) and what about medicaid?

Quote:
there's plenty of rules you must follow for attending schools. vaccinating is just one of many many rules. homeschool or send to private school that will accept them if you don't like the rules. since public school is funded by everyone, public schools are governed by societal rules. don't like em, don't send the kids there.

the decision is between the patient and doctor. no one says you have to vaccinate your child. but, if you want to participate in certain societal things putting other people at risk, then that's where these rules come in. maybe i like walking around nude. much healthier, let's my skin breath. but that doesn't mean i can walk around wherever i want nude.
Never said that there were no rules. I was just saying that there are already government controls in place. There are vaccination exemptions for schools in many states; medical, religious and philosophical so non-vaxers are often not breaking any rules if they do send their children to school.

Quote:
you must realize, the non-vaccinated movement is a very very tiny group of people. you can throw all the studies out there you want, but the facts are out there. if you want to blame huge corporations, then lock yourself in a tiny little house and live off the grid. remove yourself from society. the big bad government and companies are all out to get you.
Just because people don't hold the same opinion as you does not mean that they need to go and live in isolation. That's really extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting