U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,066,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You are ONLY "required" to get vaccines for your children, if you give birth in a medical facility, send your children to school, or if you plan on travelling with them to certain other countries. If you don't mind home-birthing, home-schooling your kids and staying away from the borders, then you don't "have" to vaccinate your kids.

See, you do have choices. You can choose to be responsible to the community in which you intend to thrust your children, or you can choose not to thrust your children into that community.

The community requires that you vaccinate your children. Either comply and join the community, or don't comply and stay out of it. It's a reasonable choice. And you have every right to make that for yourself and your family.
You don't have to vaccinate because you give birth in a hospital. Where did you get that from? You also don't need to vaccinate to send your kids to school in 48 states. The exceptions are, I believe, West Virginia and... Mississippi? (I am not positive on that one.) The "community" does not require anything. Anyone is allowed to vaccinate or not vaccinate based on their preference. I don't know about the traveling. I know that we traveled to Europe without anyone asking us about our vaccination status, but I imagine it's different for travel to third-world countries? If the consequence of not accepting every vaccination that comes out is that we can't travel to Zimbabwe, then we'll make a decision if and when we come to that bridge.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
I do not claim religious exemption from the vaccine rather philosophical.
And I hope that I am always free to do so.
ObamaCare (Universal health care)...ugh..
I am not willing to risk my child going into a Dr. office to get a vaccination and end up with GBS or some other adverse reaction. This is my choice. It is others peoples choice to vaccinate themselves and their children. I do not understand the debate here. To each their own. really!
I agree with you. I will absolutely stand up for your right to choose to decline medical procedures such as vaccines. However, I am also leaning toward barring unvaccinated kids from public schools. I haven't fully made up my mind, but it does seem to me that if you wish to opt out of the public health system, you should also opt out of the services it was designed to support. The more I know about herd immunity makes me feel that unvaccinated kids would be better off at home.

My kids are vaccinated and healthy as horses. The "I know a kid who" isn't the strongest argument--we all "know kids who" are one way or another.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,369,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
You don't have to vaccinate because you give birth in a hospital. Where did you get that from? You also don't need to vaccinate to send your kids to school in 48 states. The exceptions are, I believe, West Virginia and... Mississippi? (I am not positive on that one.) The "community" does not require anything. Anyone is allowed to vaccinate or not vaccinate based on their preference. I don't know about the traveling. I know that we traveled to Europe without anyone asking us about our vaccination status, but I imagine it's different for travel to third-world countries? If the consequence of not accepting every vaccination that comes out is that we can't travel to Zimbabwe, then we'll make a decision if and when we come to that bridge.
If it hasn't changed in the 16 years since I had my sons the first shots are at around 2 month? There is the heel stick while in the hospital,but I think that can be refused
Diptheria, tetanus and Hep A are recommended for some Eastern European countries, but not required.

We want to travel to India, Vietnam and Cambodia in the next few years and I will likely have to get some vaccinations to go there.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

84,981 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Some hospitals give the first Hepatitis B shot at birth. If the child doesn't get it at birth, at our office, it's offered at 1 month. The bulk of childhood immunizations start at 2 months.

The CDC recommends immunizations for many countries, but I don't know how many require them to enter. When I went to Brazil, I didn't have to show an immunization record to get my visa, but it was recommended that I get typhoid and yellow fever vaccines, in addition to the Hepatitis A I had already had.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM

8,308 posts, read 8,586,427 times
Quote:
I don't know how to use the quote or any of these things on here because I have never been on forums before. But I would like to say to Katiana regarding the rotovirus vaccine comment. NO PARENT would want their child to die from dehydration due to the virus. Give me a break. My son has been an extremely healthy child without vaccines. We do a lot of holistic and alternative medicine as well as a healthy diet free of processed foods and such. I have many friends with children younger than my son that are fully vaccinated that have been to the doctor and had so many illnesses it seems like every other week it's pneumonia or influenza. They always ask me hey what is it you give your son he never gets sick..I tell them. They don't take the advice. Their child is sick again. I don't understand why there is a debate here.
Your son is only extremely healthy because most all the other children around him have been vaccinated. If the "herd immunity" that vaccination created disappeared, your son would be a prime candidate (without any vaccines in his system) for diptheria, whooping cough, polio and other infectious diseases. He is in essence what I will call a "free rider". You do not pay for vaccines, so he continues to remain healthy because most other people do vaccinate their children.

Eat all the health foods you can swallow. Feed your kids nothing, but cod liver oil and wheat germ if you want. There is no scientific proof at all that kind of a diet confers any protection against the diseases that vaccines are recommended for.

Honestly, people like you and Purehuman amaze me. You ignore advice from competent bodies like the Center for Disease Control and instead choose to rely on herbalists and people without any background at all in epidemiology or infectious disease. I actually think someone ought to write a book someday about those in our society who ignore scientific opinion and instead choose to believe what cranks and crackpots claim is the truth. Do you honestly believe that the Center for Disease Control is part of a conspiracy to suppress the truth about vaccines and infectious disease? It would be quite instructive for me and others to learn what your bottomline views on this are.

These debates have gone on here for months. Anti-vaxers have repeatedly been asked to produce: 1. The names of medical doctors who oppose vaccination; 2. Scientific proof or studies that vaccines are dangerous or injurious; 3. Proof that the tiny bit of thimersol that was in the past contained in some vaccines caused any harm. All we get when we make these requests is a lot of hot air and no evidence. We occasionally see articles written by herbalists with no background in virology or bacteriology. We get links to groups or foundations that have boards of directors primarily made up of people without any degrees in medicine, nursing, or public health.

I have little patience for those who ignore scientific evidence and make a choice to put their children at risk. If I had my way, I would rewrite the vaccination laws and eliminate exemptions for any reason other than a child having a possible allergy to a vaccine. Its just too damn bad that people can claim a "philosophical" or religious exemption to vaccination and be allowed to send their kids to public school. Their children should be sequestered and kept away from those of us who make the choice to prevent disease.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Public school systems in all states have immunization requirements. Most of them ALSO have exemption provisions. But if you don't, or can't, provide that state's idea of a valid exemption for your child, then yes your child MUST be immunized if you intend for them to attent public school.

In Colorado, they take it a step further: you can declare exemption for your child and attend. BUT - if a disease breaks out in the system, all exemptions are invalidated and your child MAY be quarantined and/or prohibited from attending school until proof of immunization is provided.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Public school systems in all states have immunization requirements. Most of them ALSO have exemption provisions. But if you don't, or can't, provide that state's idea of a valid exemption for your child, then yes your child MUST be immunized if you intend for them to attent public school.

In Colorado, they take it a step further: you can declare exemption for your child and attend. BUT - if a disease breaks out in the system, all exemptions are invalidated and your child MAY be quarantined and/or prohibited from attending school until proof of immunization is provided.
Not quite right about Colorado. In the event of an outbreak of vaccine-preventable disease, all unimmunized kids are restricted from school until the outbreak is over. I would guess that most states have such a provision.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,921 times
Regarding the side effect of GBS. You do realize that it is like a one in ten million shot, correct?

Having said that, my kids father did contract GBS from a flu shot as a child. I opted not to have flu shots for my kids because of this, but they have had every other vaccination known to man and they are fine. My ex has had every other vaccination with no problems. As far as I know, GBS is only a side effect of the flu shot, nothing else so that excuse seems silly to me.

Taking the chance that my kids get the flu is one thing. Polio? Not so much.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Regarding the side effect of GBS. You do realize that it is like a one in ten million shot, correct?

Having said that, my kids father did contract GBS from a flu shot as a child. I opted not to have flu shots for my kids because of this, but they have had every other vaccination known to man and they are fine. My ex has had every other vaccination with no problems. As far as I know, GBS is only a side effect of the flu shot, nothing else so that excuse seems silly to me.

Taking the chance that my kids get the flu is one thing. Polio? Not so much.
Actually, the only vaccine that has ever been linked to GBS is the 1976 swine flu vaccine.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers - Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)

Influenza can be a very serious disease, leading to pneumonia. About 36,000 people die from it in an average flu season. 91 kids have died from it this year alone. My daughter got it when she was 9, and that happened to her. My niece got it this winer and got pneumonia. Neither was immunized. DD now gets an annual flu vaccination; when she was 10 she said a shot would be way better than what she went through, which was two weeks of illness.

It's interesting that so many people are concerned about polio, when the last case of natural polio in this country was in 1979 in the Amish community. There are a few imported cases every year. Of course, if people quit immunizing, it would come back with a vengeance.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-21-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the only vaccine that has ever been linked to GBS is the 1976 swine flu vaccine.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers - Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)

Influenza can be a very serious disease, leading to pneumonia. My daughter got it when she was 9, and that happened to her. My niece got it this winer and got pneumonia. Neither was immunized. DD now gets an annual flu vaccination; when she was 10 she said a shot would be way better than what she went through, which was two weeks of illness.

It's interesting that so many people are concerned about polio, when the last case of natural polio in this country was in 1979 in the Amish community. There are a few imported cases every year. Of course, if people quit immunizing, it would come back with a vengeance.
Interesting. My Pedi and my Dr both recommended I not take the chance with the flu shot as it was still a side effect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting