U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Interesting. My Pedi and my Dr both recommended I not take the chance with the flu shot as it was still a side effect?
I can't speak for your doctors. I can refer you to this site where you can read a lot about flu and all other immunizations:

Immunization Action Coalition (IAC): Vaccine Information for Health Care Professionals

Is your daughter old enough for the flu mist vaccine, that is over 2?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I can't speak for your doctors. I can refer you to this site where you can read a lot about flu and all other immunizations:

Immunization Action Coalition (IAC): Vaccine Information for Health Care Professionals

Is your daughter old enough for the flu mist vaccine, that is over 2?
Both my sons are adults now They have both opted to continue not to have them but I will read that and pass it on to them. Thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
It's interesting that so many people are concerned about polio, when the last case of natural polio in this country was in 1979 in the Amish community. There are a few imported cases every year. Of course, if people quit immunizing, it would come back with a vengeance.
I think because polio is a dramatic illness, people have visions of old iron-lung machines, and little kids with withered legs standing with their crutches. I really wish people were more worried about the truly devastating diseases like measles, pertussis, and HIB. Those are such nasty devastating diseases and most younger parents have never seen them or heard first-hand accounts.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Sorry. I thought you said daughter. Your sons are probably candidates for the flu mist.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
I don't know how to use the quote or any of these things on here because I have never been on forums before. But I would like to say to Katiana regarding the rotovirus vaccine comment. NO PARENT would want their child to die from dehydration due to the virus. Give me a break. My son has been an extremely healthy child without vaccines. We do a lot of holistic and alternative medicine as well as a healthy diet free of processed foods and such. I have many friends with children younger than my son that are fully vaccinated that have been to the doctor and had so many illnesses it seems like every other week it's pneumonia or influenza. They always ask me hey what is it you give your son he never gets sick..I tell them. They don't take the advice. Their child is sick again. I don't understand why there is a debate here.
unvaccinated children are EXTREMELY healthy and robust...the fact that you've chosen to allow your child to enjoy this health is commendable, I've seen the same things, and you are right!!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

There actually is a vaccine for a "stomach bug", rotavirus. It can cause death due to dehydration from severe diarrhea. Is that what you want for you/your kid? Frankly, a vaccine against the common cold would be helpful for people who work around kids a lot, such as day care providers. My daughter who works in a day care seems to always have a cold b/c she's always getting exposed.
New Rotavirus Vaccine Danger - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com I'll pass!!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
CDC - Vaccine Safety Basics Rotateq and Intussusception - Vaccine Safety

The observed rate of intussusception was not higher than the age-adjusted background rate of intussusception.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Vaccinations are a public health issue not a case of "to each their own"

Vaccination programs only work when the majority take part.

As for the Hep B, you are clearly too young to remember a time before Hep B vaccinations were available and the concern of contracting Hep B from blood exposure. Hep B vaccines save lives and if you work in a hospital and have risk of blood exposure you are foolish if you don't get the vaccine plain and simple.
That's assuming vaccines do work!! Vaccinating the LEAST likely to get hep B(newborns) is a travesty, and is leaving many damaged, and dead babies in it's wake.Hepatitis B vaccination

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM

21,490 posts, read 26,089,700 times

The article in your link is misleading:

Clarification on Rotavirus Vaccine and Intussusception

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are carefully monitoring reports of possible adverse events following use of the Rotavirus, Live, Oral, Pentavalent vaccine (RotaTeq ). FDA has notified health care providers and consumers about 28 post-marketing reports of intussusception following administration of the vaccine. The number of cases reported to date is far less than the number that public health officials would expect to occur without vaccination. FDAs announcement was not intended as a warning but as a reminder to clinicians to be alert and to report cases of intussusception that occur after use of the vaccine."

To date, there does not appear to be an increased risk of the bowel complication with RotaTeq.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have a couple of questions for the anti vaccers. Do you think it would be ok if everyone stopped vaccinating today? What do you think the outfall from everyone not vaccinating would be? Would it be worth it to avoid whatever awful thing you think happens when children are vaccinated?
We wouldn't have an epidemic of autism, or other spectrum disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting