U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
I have never said anything about being courageous. I am not an 'ill informed antivaxer' I am a very informed mother who loves her son very much and you can blow all the hot air you want about me sending my child to a 3rd world country to see if he will die from a disease.
I do NOT count on the community to keep my child from becoming sick. I have actually never even thought of that before. I have not heard most of these terms that are used in this forum. I was actually on this site about a real estate forum and wound up checking this out.
My child is not a 'bundle of diseases' That is a ridiculous assumption on your part. I also do not believe there is a government conspiracy around vaccinations. I'm not sure if it was you who said 'ant vaxers' think there is a conspiracy.
I am curious what you would do if you found out that one of your best friends or one of your childs best friends was not vaccinated?? Would you mo longer be friends with them? Just curious!
Here are some of the ridiculous assumptions on your part:

1) You state you are a "very informed mother" and yet you also state you haven't "heard most of the terms used on this forum"

Which is it? Can't be both....can't be "very informed" and "not heard of the terms" at the same time.

2) Yes...yes you do count on the community from keeping your child sick. Whether you realize it or not, if vaccine preventable illnesses were still running rampant in this country we wouldn't be having this discussion.

People would be killing each other to get their kids vaccinated NOT trumpeting their "right" not to vaccinate...

 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Reputation: 14677
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
I have never said anything about being courageous. I am not an 'ill informed antivaxer' I am a very informed mother who loves her son very much and you can blow all the hot air you want about me sending my child to a 3rd world country to see if he will die from a disease.
I do NOT count on the community to keep my child from becoming sick. I have actually never even thought of that before. I have not heard most of these terms that are used in this forum. I was actually on this site about a real estate forum and wound up checking this out.
My child is not a 'bundle of diseases' That is a ridiculous assumption on your part. I also do not believe there is a government conspiracy around vaccinations. I'm not sure if it was you who said 'ant vaxers' think there is a conspiracy.
I am curious what you would do if you found out that one of your best friends or one of your childs best friends was not vaccinated?? Would you mo longer be friends with them? Just curious!
If you have not heard mention of many of the verbage in this thread, then perhaps to announce you are very informed is ill-advised. There are many great links posted here, perhaps you would take the time to read them. There are also some very experienced people in the field of maternal-child health. This would be a great time and place to ask questions.

I am curious why you decided not to vaccinate?
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
I am curious what you would do if you found out that one of your best friends or one of your childs best friends was not vaccinated?? Would you mo longer be friends with them? Just curious!
It never came up. Most of the families we knew were headed by Boomer paents who remembered polio and vaccinated because they remembered polio.

More than that, we took our children to so-called third world countries. I was on the phone to the county health department three months before we left asking what additional vaccines my kids needed before each trip.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
 
24 posts, read 19,432 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Here are some of the ridiculous assumptions on your part:

1) You state you are a "very informed mother" and yet you also state you haven't "heard most of the terms used on this forum"

Which is it? Can't be both....can't be "very informed" and "not heard of the terms" at the same time.

2) Yes...yes you do count on the community from keeping your child sick. Whether you realize it or not, if vaccine preventable illnesses were still running rampant in this country we wouldn't be having this discussion.

People would be killing each other to get their kids vaccinated NOT trumpeting their "right" not to vaccinate...
Just because I have never heard the term 'anti vaxers' or such things like this does not make me ill informed. I have read many articles and spoke to doctors on either side of vaccinations I made my decision based on these conversations. It was NOT an easy decision for me. I didn't just listen to one side and make my decision. I did lots of research after I found out I was pregnant. The reason I don't know some of these terms is because up until now I haven't read any forums like this. It seems for the most part on this forum there is only one side. Anyways I am not going to keep my child in a bubble. Sorry for those of you who think that is an ill informed decision on my part.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,258,181 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
We wouldn't have an epidemic of autism, or other spectrum disorders.
What a crock! Autism cannot be caused by vaccines when my friends child has autism and never had vaccines. Explain that!
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 5,258,181 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, I work for a health care company, but my more cynical side says that there's a good reason that an insurance company would encourage more doctor visits. Insurance companies are mostly for-profit organizations.

A lot of employers offer similar incentives to employees, because that does save them money. My husband's company gives all employees $200 a year to spend on health-related items like gym membership, equipment or sports gear. Mine gives gift cards for completing various tasks each year, like filling out a health risk assessment form and visiting the doctor.
Again, my doctor does not charge for immunizations as an office visit. You get them at yearly FREE checkup and if kids are sick they gone back another day for vax free of charge.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Again, my doctor does not charge for immunizations as an office visit. You get them at yearly FREE checkup and if kids are sick they gone back another day for vax free of charge.
Your doctor definitely charges the insurance company for the immunizations. S/he is not going to eat that fee.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM
 
24 posts, read 19,432 times
Reputation: 15
here is one of the many great articles that I have read. Take it or leave it.

Dispelling Vaccination Myths (Part 1)
 
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Eastwood, Orlando FL
1,260 posts, read 1,368,523 times
Reputation: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroughten View Post
here is one of the many great articles that I have read. Take it or leave it.

Dispelling Vaccination Myths (Part 1)
Sorry, I'm not going to take advice from an AIDS denialist
 
Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Reputation: 8593
Moderator cut: Removed reference to deleted comment.
Quote:
Whether you realize it or not, if vaccine preventable illnesses were still running rampant in this country we wouldn't be having this discussion.

People would be killing each other to get their kids vaccinated NOT trumpeting their "right" not to vaccinate...
Everyone makes the decisions that are best for their own family. It's about weighing the risk and the benefits. If we lived in Kenya, we'd be vaxing for typhoid fever and taking anti-malaria pills. Since we live in the USA, where the risk of developing typhoid fever and malaria are slim to none, people here don't do that. Saying "well, if you lived in India, I bet you'd vax for polio in a heartbeat!" is silly. If the risk of disease is great, then you can take greater risks with the vaccines. If the risk of developing AND suffering from a complication of a disease is very low, some will choose that risk over the certain risk of injecting a potentially harmful substance into their child.

If smallpox were running rampant and people were dropping dead from the associated infections, I'd take the chance and get my kids vaccinated for it, even though they have had eczema in the recent past, making them more at risk for having a very severe side effect. Since it's NOT running rampant, even a hypothetical few cases per year in the USA would not prompt me to go out and get them the vaccine. Risk vs. benefit.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-22-2011 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top