Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know why most of this thread has been about speculation on the OP's personal issues.
No one is speculating. After someone posts here enough, their personality and situation(s) become familiar to regular readers of the board. The OP has posted many times soliciting advice and input on a variety of situations. She has complained endlessly about her children and their lack of respect for her, breaking rules, being difficult, calling CPS, etc. At face value, she appeared to be a mom who was at the end of her rope in dealing with out of control teen children.

People responded to her posts in various ways offering their opinions on how to handle the situation(s) and in many cases she simply kept complaining and did not acknowledge that others were genuinely trying to help her. After a while, the people who try to help get frustrated that they are taking the time to provide suggestions and being ignored. Or, the story begins to change once people begin offering advice.

Beachmel has pointed out that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we are aware of. That's fine, but it needs to be understood that people here cannot be blamed taking posts at face value and responding to them.

If there truly is a mental illness in Marylee's family, I hope she can find appropriate assistance to manage that. I don't think she is doing herself much good posting here because you really can't post half a story and expect to get answers that will be of any value, nor should one post their personal family situations on a message board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
This isn't a 6 year old kid..... You know, this attitude right here? This attitude is why this child and his family are suffering so bad.
Yeah. It's people like me why THEY are suffering so bad. It's not because of all the drama going on in their family, but because of me. Glad we found the problem. Now MaryLee's family can go back to being wonderful

Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I think it's great that she has a place to vent her frustrations. Better here than towards her kids or family.

If I had known more about her situation, I would have responded differently to her post.

Hope she and her family are doing OK.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
No one is speculating. After someone posts here enough, their personality and situation(s) become familiar to regular readers of the board. The OP has posted many times soliciting advice and input on a variety of situations. She has complained endlessly about her children and their lack of respect for her, breaking rules, being difficult, calling CPS, etc. At face value, she appeared to be a mom who was at the end of her rope in dealing with out of control teen children.

People responded to her posts in various ways offering their opinions on how to handle the situation(s) and in many cases she simply kept complaining and did not acknowledge that others were genuinely trying to help her. After a while, the people who try to help get frustrated that they are taking the time to provide suggestions and being ignored. Or, the story begins to change once people begin offering advice.

Beachmel has pointed out that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we are aware of. That's fine, but it needs to be understood that people here cannot be blamed taking posts at face value and responding to them.

If there truly is a mental illness in Marylee's family, I hope she can find appropriate assistance to manage that. I don't think she is doing herself much good posting here because you really can't post half a story and expect to get answers that will be of any value, nor should one post their personal family situations on a message board.
I read many of her posts and I did not see anything that would warrant some of the comments that have been made in this thread.

I thought that people were supposed to "stay on topic." I didn't realize that there some unwritten rule that you are free to psychoanalyze someone if you have read a number of their posts. I personally feel that is wrong.

I also don't think anyone should be speculating on anyone else's mental health in a public forum.

If people had simply responded to her question as it was posed and then sent her personal messages if they wanted to, that would have seemed more appropriate to me. But that's just me and my two cents.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?
Blaming NEOhioBound's attitude for that family's problems???

Really? LOL That's what you got from my post? ROTFLOL. Why yes Pitt....it's ALL NEO's fault.....hers, personally that our OP and her family are having so many problems. You really got that from my post? Wow, you know there are darn few posters on here who would have actually gotten that from the post. I do apoligize....perhaps it would have been much easier for "some" posters to understand, if I had said, "You know, it is THIS TYPE OF THINKING, which make it so difficult for families with these problems, to get the help they need.....not that THIS poster is personally responsible for the OP's predicaments, but rather, the type of thinking".

Why do some posters go about attempting to cause problems? Hmmm, I don't know...perhaps it's a bit like the OP's son, who feels the same need. Some folks simply cannot bear to not be "instigators" of trouble. It's what makes them feel alive and in control. Some people are settlers, some are stirrers...

Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
"You know, it is THIS TYPE OF THINKING, which make it so difficult for families with these problems, to get the help they need.....not that THIS poster is personally responsible for the OP's predicaments, but rather, the type of thinking".
Yes, because if my family needed such dire help, the first place I would run to would be a message board

Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Yes, because if my family needed such dire help, the first place I would run to would be a message board
Until you are living in the exact same situation as the OP, you do not know WHERE you're willing to turn. People who ARE looking for answers, who are seeking information...I would HOPE, will look ANYWHERE for hope and help! If you have tried everything you know how to try, exhausted every possible resource imaginable, desperation can lead you to the most unexpected places.

Your snice statement said "first place"...FIRST place? Oh if ONLY this was the FIRST place she'd been looking for answers. You know what? Even if this was the first place someone looked for answers.....Thank God! At least they're LOOKING for answers...looking for help!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Really? LOL That's what you got from my post? ROTFLOL. Why yes Pitt....it's ALL NEO's fault.....hers, personally that our OP and her family are having so many problems. You really got that from my post? Wow, you know there are darn few posters on here who would have actually gotten that from the post. I do apoligize....perhaps it would have been much easier for "some" posters to understand, if I had said, "You know, it is THIS TYPE OF THINKING, which make it so difficult for families with these problems, to get the help they need.....not that THIS poster is personally responsible for the OP's predicaments, but rather, the type of thinking".
Yes, actually, that is what I got from your post.

You quoted NEOhioBound's post and specifically said
Quote:
This isn't a 6 year old kid..... You know, this attitude right here? This attitude is why this child and his family are suffering so bad.
If that is not what you meant, then you shouldn't have wrote it.
All I know is what you post... I am not a mind reader!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM

beachmel- she isn't looking for answers if she isn't even asking the right questions by not even telling people what is, supposedly, really going on, but whatever

PittChick- I read it the same way. And I also didn't get why she mentioned he isn't a 6yr old kid. We all know how old her kids are. That still doesn't mean if one if them is having such severe mental issues as beachmel is saying, that they should be allowed to go to the store unsupervised

Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Isn't it funny how some people seem to have all the right answers for everyone else's problems? Isn't it funny how some people always think they say ALL the right things?

Sometimes, all we really need to do is have a heart of compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting