U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM

2,470 posts, read 3,892,718 times
Another thing that works for us is to use a timer. Use an egg timer, where you can see the minutes ticking down. Then we may say, you have 15 minutes to finish XYZ, here is your timer. It works for my kid to have a visual representation of the amount of time left for each task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM

16,949 posts, read 13,939,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Another thing that works for us is to use a timer. Use an egg timer, where you can see the minutes ticking down. Then we may say, you have 15 minutes to finish XYZ, here is your timer. It works for my kid to have a visual representation of the amount of time left for each task.
Forgot to mention that. We do. I have 3 kinds of timers, including an hour glass that suctions to the shower wall. He either forgets to set it, or forgets to check it. I feel like we've tried everything!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 913,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Forgot to mention that. We do. I have 3 kinds of timers, including an hour glass that suctions to the shower wall. He either forgets to set it, or forgets to check it. I feel like we've tried everything!
Naked school or no hot water. These are your options.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM

3,428 posts, read 4,378,598 times
7 is old enough to regularly keep on task. Here are my suggestions which I know mirror others - but I didnt real all the previous posts:

I have an 8 year old that I have managed to get into a pretty good routine. Here are some of the things that we do:
Shower at night, lay out clothes the night before, pack backpack and snow clothes the night before, no TV in the morning ever. Too much time to get through a morning routine is actually a deterrent (according to my therapist). My kids get a 10 minute first call before they have to get out of bed. When they get out Bfast is on the table. For showers get a timer - when its up - he needs to wrap it up. It can also work for bkfast. If he cant finish eating on time - then he gets a granola bar or something he can take on the go - preferably something he doesnt really like. Finally, is he getting enough sleep? Maybe an earlier bedtime would be helpful or a nice incentive to get his act together. Both my 11 yo and 8 yo go to bed at 8 for a 6am wakeup for the 11 and 6:15a for the 8.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM

3,428 posts, read 4,378,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
thanks, all.

I do feel kind of bad for DS5 being punished (no TV) when he isn't really the problem. Oh well.
Think of it as a gift to both of them. Theoretically TV distracts and puts them on autopilot which decreases their learning and ability to reason/attention span (or something like that) and should not be watched prior to the school day anyway.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM

3,364 posts, read 5,661,956 times
When we lived in NM, ds was in kindergarten, then 1st grade. He was also an early riser and would have almost two hours before the bus came.

We started out with a 'no TV' before school routine from day one. He was a slow eater, so we set a 20 minute timer - when the time was up, it was time to get dressed. After he dressed fully and had his shoes on, jacket on his backpack in front of the door, he could play (no tv or electronics though) or finish his breakfast until the 'time to leave' timer went off. He bathes/showers at night, even now, though occasionally he wants a morning shower.

Even now, when he wakes only 45 minutes before it's leave, we have basically the same schedule. Except now, he doesn't need the breakfast timer (he's 11). School here starts an hour and twenty minutes earlier than it did in NM. Both kids (8 & 11) make their own breakfast and pack their own lunches each morning.

Clothes are set out the night before. But we only started insisting on this because their school has a uniform code - there was one morning, at the start of the school year that ds had to go into school an hour late because NONE of his approved school pants were clean. (They were all balled up, on the floor of his closet, except for one pair which he had set on the washer right before bedtime, but not mentioned )

Our kids get up by themselves 'or else'. The 'or else' is that I will start singing - I'm a morning person generally. But the 'Good Morning Song' is too much for either of them at 6:30 AM.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 1,452,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Think of it as a gift to both of them. Theoretically TV distracts and puts them on autopilot which decreases their learning and ability to reason/attention span (or something like that) and should not be watched prior to the school day anyway.

When my daughter started grade school, her teacher told me she could absolutely tell which kids watched TV before school and which kids didn't. The non-TV watchers were more alert, more interested in what was happening in the class room, and more participatory.

So OP, don't feel bad about your other child not being able to watch TV. As StilltheSame says, you're doing him a favour!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
When my daughter started grade school, her teacher told me she could absolutely tell which kids watched TV before school and which kids didn't. The non-TV watchers were more alert, more interested in what was happening in the class room, and more participatory.

So OP, don't feel bad about your other child not being able to watch TV. As StilltheSame says, you're doing him a favour!
you're right. It is probably something we should have done a long time ago.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,830,134 times
So many are saying no TV until the kids are ready. Why does the TV need to be on at all? We have a strict no-TV rule, not only mornings, but most of the time. DVDs are ok, but no more than one a day, after school. DD watches football with me also, but aside from that, there's nothing on there that she needs to be watching. Oh, she's 5.

We have little or no problems with getting going in the morning. She usually reads while eating breakfast. If she's pokey about it, the book(s) disappear quickly.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Day 1- DS7 was up early, dressed, made his own lunch. He didn't eat until I got up at 7:00. Both boys were completely ready by 8:00. Now they are starting to get rambunctious. TV is still off. I'm going to read them a book. Still 20 minutes until we have to leave for the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting