Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM

400 posts, read 949,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post

Our routine has worked, but I am really up their butts in the morning. .
I have to be this way with my 7 yr old daughter or she would never get anything done. She can find more things to piddle her time away if I give her too much time to do things, it drives me crazy! It's hard sometimes to stay on top of her so much but if I don't she wouldn't ever get to bed or out the door to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
Has anyone suggested changing their clocks yet? Set their clocks back an hour while they are sleeping so they wake up an hour earlier. I actually got that idea from the movie Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

NO TV in the morning is a great plan - stick to that.

Make sure they are getting enough sleep. Talk to your doctor and find out how much sleep your kids need. It might surprise you.

Seems like a lot of kids these days have a really late bedtime, and so they and their parents suffer for it in the mornings. Our kids went to bed at 7:30 or 8 o'clock all through middle school. In high school the rules changed, but up through 8th grade they had to be in the beds no later than 8pm. We had to get up really early though - we're out the door by 7:30. Getting good sleep though makes all the difference in the morning.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Today was day 3. The only problem we've had so far is too many showers too close together. We'll have to see how we can fix that tomorrow. Haggard, our problem is too much time in the morning. The last thing I need is for him to get up earlier. Once he's ready I have been giving him things to do like make his own lunch and pack his backpack. TV in the morning over the weekend was like a treat.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Routine routine routine.
Be consistent consistent consistent.
No TV no TV no TV
Go to bed early.
School uniforms.
Make lunches.
Have breakfast.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,804 times
[quote=121804;17571834 Love & Logic.

.[/QUOTE]

Tried to PM you, but it won't let me. Is this a good book for parents of teens?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Oops! Sorry rkb... I goofed.

I like the audiobooks idea that someone else suggested. My kids love audio books for long car trips. We check out books on CD from the library and burn them to mp3 and put them on their mp3 players for them to listen to. Doesn't cost a thing.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,960 times
I agree... no tv in the am.
I don't let our girls turn it on UNLESS, they are dressed & backpacks are packed!
It is so easy for them to become distracted with it.
I usually tell them they need to read a book,practice their violin or something like that...

Our 8 year old takes FOREVER in the morning and it drives me crazy too. She can't decide what she wants for breakfast, then she doesn't like what I took out for her the night before to wear, & then it just takes forever to get dressed,teeth brushed,etc...
It is never ending.

I always feel like we are rushing,even though, we are up 2 hours before they even have to be to school. Not by my choice, they are early risers.
Part of it is my fault as I don't like to make their lunches at night, I will put their little things in their lunch boxes (pretzels,etc...) but I truly hated lunch as a kid at school because my mom would make our sandwiches the night before and then by lunchtime at school, the bread was gross, especially if it was pb&J because the jelly makes the bread a little soggy,etc... I just really disliked it.
SO, I swore I would never make my children's lunches the night before, even if it means having to get up just a little earlier to give them fresh sandwiches to eat

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I don't let our girls turn it on UNLESS, they are dressed & backpacks are packed!
I usually tell them they need to read a book,practice their violin or something like that...

Our 8 year old takes FOREVER in the morning and it drives me crazy too. She can't decide what she wants for breakfast, then she doesn't like what I took out for her the night before to wear, & then it just takes forever to get dressed,teeth brushed,etc...
It is never ending.

I always feel like we are rushing,even though, we are up 2 hours before they even have to be to school. Not by my choice, they are early risers.
Part of it is my fault as I don't like to make their lunches at night, I will put their little things in their lunch boxes (pretzels,etc...) but I truly hated lunch as a kid at school because my mom would make our sandwiches the night before and then by lunchtime at school, the bread was gross, especially if it was pb&J because the jelly makes the bread a little soggy,etc... I just really disliked it.
SO, I swore I would never make my children's lunches the night before, even if it means having to get up just a little earlier to give them fresh sandwiches to eat
sounds like we have some similar issues. Not having the TV on has made a huge difference.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post

It is never ending.

When I come down for my coffee I make the sandwiches for lunch - everything else is packed the night before. Too much time for the kids being up ends up being unproductive - plus the more sleep they get - the better they function. So, I give a wakeup warning to my 8 year old and at that time offer 2 choices for breakfast - whichever he chooses goes on the table. Clothes are selected the night before and any issues/arguments/disagreements around that resolved then. The routine is the same every morning - so he knows it well- his tasks have and has always been - wake up - wash face/brush hair. Table for breakfast / get dressed / make bed/ get bag and snow stuff/ wait to leave the house. If there is any extra time he can feed the guinea pig, turn off lights and do other odds and ends (get my cellphones together etc) - never television - except news and weather on rare occasion and NEVER kids TV. Ever.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Someone mentioned Love & Logic. L&L is a wonderful resource for parents. So is a program called Parents as Teachers, or PAT.

Parents as Teachers

Love and Logic - Helping Parents and Teachers Raise Responsible Kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting