U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,148 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Reputation: 35609

Advertisements

rkb - my mom would be laughing right now. You've just described me as a child...I can still be absent minded and dreamy...I do struggle with focusing on tasks sometimes...but I manage to get through life...good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Reputation: 32243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
He's absent minded, easily distracted. While he's in his room "getting ready" he often does other things like look out the window and give me a report on how much snow is out there or how much melted yesterday. He often leaves his room with dirty laundry and/or a wet towel on the floor, and always leaves the light on. In order to get him fully ready, I almost always have to send him back upstairs to do something he forgot.
Is he smart? How's he do in school? Is he creative?

He sounds like my kind of kid, lol. Looking out the window amazed at the world. You definitely need to leave the TV off. As I'd guessed earlier he gets totally tied up in it. (Does he like the commercials as much as the program?)

Normally, I'm not one for rewarding kids for doing something they should do anyway but it sounds like this may be your only hope. You need to be creative though, because a normal reward probably will not cut it with him.

What does he LOVE to do? Read? Write? Color? If he likes to read and he has a favorite book right now, tell him he can't read it until he gets properly dressed. Find something he LOVES and reward him with it. If he's an absent minded professor (Bless them all) he's going to need the carrot and stick approach.

How often does he pop his little head up at the supper table and say something smart but totally off the wall and unexpected? He's thinking deep thoughts in that little seven year old brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Location: here
24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Reputation: 31056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is he smart? How's he do in school? Is he creative?

He sounds like my kind of kid, lol. Looking out the window amazed at the world. You definitely need to leave the TV off. As I'd guessed earlier he gets totally tied up in it. (Does he like the commercials as much as the program?)

Normally, I'm not one for rewarding kids for doing something they should do anyway but it sounds like this may be your only hope. You need to be creative though, because a normal reward probably will not cut it with him.

What does he LOVE to do? Read? Write? Color? If he likes to read and he has a favorite book right now, tell him he can't read it until he gets properly dressed. Find something he LOVES and reward him with it. If he's an absent minded professor (Bless them all) he's going to need the carrot and stick approach.

How often does he pop his little head up at the supper table and say something smart but totally off the wall and unexpected? He's thinking deep thoughts in that little seven year old brain.
Totally! Yes, he's creative. He loves to draw. I think in some areas of life it will be a blessing. Right now, I just need him to get dressed without having to be reminded 10 times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Reputation: 32243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Totally! Yes, he's creative. He loves to draw. I think in some areas of life it will be a blessing. Right now, I just need him to get dressed without having to be reminded 10 times!
Good luck! You are going to fight this battle your entire life.

His brain is not processing: 1) Wake up. 2) Feel need to pee. 3) Go to bathroom and pee. 4) Wash hands.

His brain is processing 1) Get up, feel the need to pee but decide to first go look out window then look under bed to make sure favorite toy is still there. 2) Get toy out from under bed and check to make sure it still has all its parts 3) Put toy on pillow and go back to look out window to see if bird is still on top of car across street 4) Feel horrendous need to pee 5) Look for book to take to bathroom 6) Hot foot it across cold floor (can't find slippers, don't know where slippers are) to the bathroom 7) Yell at sibling to get out of bathroom 8) Hold onto willy and dance around hallway. 9) Pee 10) Wipe hands on towel without washing them. 11) Look you right in the eye and say , "Yes I washed my hands."

He isn't lying. He thinks he washed his hands. Probably. His little brain is thinking about birds and electrical engines and goodness knows what else. Socks? He needs socks? What ARE socks? He'll learn. Hopefully. But he needs repitition to pattern his brain that everybody else wears socks and he needs to wear them too.

(You know, don't you, that this is probably something that drove Bill Gates' parents looney? Your DS will be the kid who invents something that lets him pee right from his bed and you'll retire to Cabo San Lucas because he's so ingenious.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: here
24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Reputation: 31056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good luck! You are going to fight this battle your entire life.

His brain is not processing: 1) Wake up. 2) Feel need to pee. 3) Go to bathroom and pee. 4) Wash hands.

His brain is processing 1) Get up, feel the need to pee but decide to first go look out window then look under bed to make sure favorite toy is still there. 2) Get toy out from under bed and check to make sure it still has all its parts 3) Put toy on pillow and go back to look out window to see if bird is still on top of car across street 4) Feel horrendous need to pee 5) Look for book to take to bathroom 6) Hot foot it across cold floor (can't find slippers, don't know where slippers are) to the bathroom 7) Yell at sibling to get out of bathroom 8) Hold onto willy and dance around hallway. 9) Pee 10) Wipe hands on towel without washing them. 11) Look you right in the eye and say , "Yes I washed my hands."

He isn't lying. He thinks he washed his hands. Probably. His little brain is thinking about birds and electrical engines and goodness knows what else. Socks? He needs socks? What ARE socks? He'll learn. Hopefully. But he needs repitition to pattern his brain that everybody else wears socks and he needs to wear them too.

(You know, don't you, that this is probably something that drove Bill Gates' parents looney? Your DS will be the kid who invents something that lets him pee right from his bed and you'll retire to Cabo San Lucas because he's so ingenious.)
LOL! You've described him so well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Australia
8,012 posts, read 2,716,929 times
Reputation: 38452
Here's an idea that might work with him, and will save having both a reward chart and a reminder list.

Get a large piece of white card. Divide it into three vertical columns (wide for the first one, narrow for the other two), and as many horizontal columns as there are morning 'tasks'.

List each morning task in the first column - in the order that they should be accomplished. This will also serve as his reminder list. In the second column award a certain number of points for completing the task. This way you can give more points for 'pick up yesterday's clothes and put in laundry hamper' than for 'put socks on'. In the third column you can list bonus points for going the extra mile with the task ... for example, making sure the clothes in the hamper are inside out ready for washing. Write 'bonus points for turning clothes inside out' right underneath 'pick up yesterday's clothes and put in laundry hamper'. Of course, there would be no bonus points for 'put on socks' LOL.

Then beside this chart, you can hang a same size piece of paper, divided into 7 vertical columns, one for each day of the week. He can write in his points as he goes along. Then you and he can tot up each day's points (good math practice!) and the rewards can be based on the number of points he's managed to achieve each day or each week (however you want to do it). More points = bigger reward. Under X points = no reward.

Since your son is good at drawing, he might like to illustrate his chart - this would give him more 'ownership' of the system.

Oh, and make sure you hang a pencil beside the chart so he has no excuses for not filling it in!!

It sounds like you're making good progress rkb! I agree with Dew - sounds like you're raising a potential genius!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: In the AC
972 posts, read 2,079,797 times
Reputation: 830
My pokey son showers AND dresses for school the night before. From wake up to out the door is 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM
 
2,255 posts, read 4,318,008 times
Reputation: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
My pokey son showers AND dresses for school the night before. From wake up to out the door is 30 minutes.
He wears his school clothes to bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Southern NC
1,917 posts, read 4,229,567 times
Reputation: 2500
Turn off the TV and turn on the radio in the mornings....do everything possible the night before.
Change up your routine and you won't have this morning drama.
No one is being "punished". You are setting new rules to help your family's mornings flow more smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: here
24,477 posts, read 28,773,973 times
Reputation: 31056
DS7 has been taking a tumbling class once/week for about 4 weeks. Every Thursday he sleeps an hour later. If only we had the time and money to have him tumble every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top