U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,364,337 times

Advertisements

Try a sound machine . . . I think they work wonders. And maybe reward system . . ."If you go to sleep like a good boy tomorrow you get "x."

I also think the "family bed" is not a bad thing and especially in this case when you are all so sleep deprived. He might just need some cozy, attachment time with his mom and pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 2,713,293 times
I really think the answer lies in more consistency rather than more flexibility. The OP has already acknowledged she is not always consistent and that the sleep problems occurred or became worse once her husband was around in the evenings (this being a change in previous routine). Thus, 'flexibility' hasn't been working out too well.

Crazymom - I bet you'll start to see great results when both you and your husband implement a bedtime routine and both of you stick to it like glue. No ifs or buts.

The problem you have, of course, is that your family's routine is about to be subject to upheaval when the new baby arrives, so you may have to just suck it up for now... until you can establish a new routine that encompasses both of you and all the children. That's when it will become critical to be consistent!

I also agree with the poster(s) who suggested starting bedtime routine slightly earlier... your child may well be overtired... and with those who suggest you keep an eye out for physiological explanations.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
My youngest grandson was like this. He required very little sleep. You and his Dad must be firm about certain boundaries, but realize this is just how he is.
I always let my kids read or look at books as late as they wanted. This makes them think they are getting away with something, but in fact, when they are still for awhile they tend to go right to sleep. Other than this, after 8:00 pm, no talking, no coming out of his room and no bothering anyone else in the family. You might need to install a gate or a dutch door on his room, but for us plain old fear of a spanking worked. Make sure you get him good and tired out during the day..no napping.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 2,713,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Try a sound machine . . . I think they work wonders. And maybe reward system . . ."If you go to sleep like a good boy tomorrow you get "x."
That's what my husband used to to; problem was the kids would whine and whine, and with each whine, he'd up the ante and offer them even more! I preferred to handle the 'blackmail' (LOL) the other way around... 'If you DON'T go to sleep like a good boy tomorrow you WON'T get x."

Again, if you make those kinds of 'threats' you must follow through!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
^^Good question.

If he was having these problems BEFORE you got pregnant, why have another child at this time? If he has been having these problems SINCE you got pregnant, the pregnancy could be the cause.
She said in her original post that it's been going on for over a year:

Needless to say I haven't slept longer than 3 hours at a time in over a year

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I certainly will! Thank you!

My husband compared him to our labrador retriever...needs constant stimulation, exercise...
The ADHD issue popped in my head today, and most certainly will I keep my eyes on this guy....

He is a handful for certain, but can be the sweetest, most loving boy.

Knowledge is power!
My nephew (8) was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and he's always had sleep problems. Something that helped with him was letting him sleep in a tent. Not a bed tent, a real tent. We discovered it by accident one night, but it has worked. I know it sounds nuts, but for some reason, the closer space and not being distracted by the things in his room helped him sleep better.

So, if you have a tent, set it up in his room, pull the mattress off the bed, and give it a go. Couldn't hurt.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,915,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My nephew (8) was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and he's always had sleep problems. Something that helped with him was letting him sleep in a tent. Not a bed tent, a real tent. We discovered it by accident one night, but it has worked. I know it sounds nuts, but for some reason, the closer space and not being distracted by the things in his room helped him sleep better.

So, if you have a tent, set it up in his room, pull the mattress off the bed, and give it a go. Couldn't hurt.
This worked when my oldest transitioned from the family bed to his own bed - we had a little pop-up tent, just the size of his bed, that he put on his bunk. It really helped him feel cozy!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Oh, and I forgot to add Crazymom, that my ADHD nephew is the sweetest most loving boy too. He has a wonderful laugh and gives the best hugs! My sister and BIL have chosen not to medicate him, and it's been a journey, but little tricks like the tent sleeping have helped. Also, my nephew doesn't like to have toys with eyes visible in the room at night. When he stays here, I have to stash my daughter's dolls in the closet (and set up the tent!).

Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,143,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Amazingly, we didn't have this much trouble when it was just me at night. But, this is certainly a battle we have to fight as a couple, as a team, so we best be on board.
Because it was a change. It used to be that I worked during the day and went to school in the evenings, but now I'm graduated. When I started spending more evenings at home, my daughter's routine freaked out for a week or two. My husband told me his exact routine down to each and every detail. And thus, I followed his routine. After the initial two-week freakout of "OMIGOD MOMMY IS HOME ALL THE TIME YAAAAAAAAAY", everything is back to a (new) normality.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,463,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I really think the answer lies in more consistency rather than more flexibility. The OP has already acknowledged she is not always consistent and that the sleep problems occurred or became worse once her husband was around in the evenings (this being a change in previous routine). Thus, 'flexibility' hasn't been working out too well.
Flexibility as I wrote means being flexible in your expectations and allowing him to have some control over some things. Trying consistently to put him to bed starting at 8 is something that is not working either. If he is even remotely like my son, it won't matter how long or how consistent you are in trying to put him to bed earlier, it will not work.

I had the same experience with my son as she is having and learned quickly what worked best for that type child in my house.

My son simply does not need as much sleep as the average child. He is much more a night owl than perky early morning riser. He just needs a different routine for bed than most, and that starts with a later bedtime. That's where the flexibility starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or