U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,436,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I had the same reaction as other posters at first, i.e., don't pathologize normal toddler behaviors!!

Moffit and Caspi are actually highly respected developmental psychopathology researchers (I worked in this field for awhile in grad school). I think the article may not be fully explaining the study and may be simplifying/overstating the relationship. My guess is that they looked at toddlers whose impulse control was way below average compared to other toddlers, rather than just talking about the normative level of impulsivity a little one has...I'm going to try to find the primary source and will link if I can.

ETA:
A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety
Disclaimer - it's a dense read if you're not familiar with social science stats

My suspicion was right - they assessed impulsivity through a number of behavioral markers and reports from scientific observers, teachers, and parents at 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 years old and pooled that data and followed the same kids up at age 32. The level of impulsivity measured (low impulse control) refers to more than just the normal level of poor impulse control a toddler has - it's talking about toddlers who are way more impulsive than their peers. So I think the Telegraph article reporting on the results is a tad misleading or at least not as detailed as it needs to be. Also, not sure if Telegraph mentioned that some toddlers who were assessed as highly impulsive at age 3 and were taught increased self-control by age 11 ended up with "good" adult outcomes. Hope that helps a bit?
Good insight.

For me the study just seems to go along with the fact that kids with ADHD are more likely to have drug and alcohol problems as they get older. Its all about poor impulse control. Its good information for parents to know though, because if they have a child with poor impulse control, they should know that they need to be quite careful and conscientious (both safeguarding against the problem by giving the child more positive outlets and also teaching coping skills for frustration and impulsivity) as their child gets older in regard to this risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
So, what do we do with those toddlers? Kill them? What a silly study.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM

77 posts, read 147,933 times
That depends, look at Hitler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So, what do we do with those toddlers? Kill them? What a silly study.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Hmmm ever hear of nature vs. nurture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's an important piece of information to leave out. Glad to hear the study concluded what we already knew: good parenting can make a positive difference.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjny View Post
That depends, look at Hitler.
Mhm. Well, we cannot predict the future. It's silly to think we can know who will overcome adversity and who will succumb to it.

So short answer: No, we don't kill toddlers.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,226,786 times
Quote:
Mhm. Well, we cannot predict the future. It's silly to think we can know who will overcome adversity and who will succumb to it.

Nope, don't kill the toddlers.

Although we can't predict outcomes 100% with any type of psychological phenomenon, identifying at-risk kids can help target who may most benefit from early intervention efforts. And despite the way the Telegraph reported on the study, one major point of Caspi and Moffitt is that intervention can make a difference in outcomes.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM

No of course not. I was just being silly and sarcastic.

I really believe that in this #1 land of opportunity, that anyone can become all they want to as long as they have a good heart, and the capacity to love and do the right thing.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,385,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjny View Post
No of course not. I was just being silly and sarcastic.

I really believe that in this #1 land of opportunity, that anyone can become all they want to as long as they have a good heart, and the capacity to love and do the right thing.
I think that is true to an extent. About a month ago there was a good bit of discussion about the 10 yr old boy who shot his mother. The consensus seemed to be that he was 'mentally unstable'. It seemed to me that there was considerable instability in the home which no doubt contributed to this child's 'impulsivity'.

I don't think there will come a day when a 'cure' for family problems will be found.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,654,865 times
Insanity is hereditary.
You get it from your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or