Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Tantrums and lack of self control in toddlers is a sign they may grow up to be drugs addicts and criminals, claims research.

Badly behaved children as young as three are also the most prone to financial and health problems in adulthood.

Future criminals could be identified as toddlers - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
This is rubbish, What toddler does not behave badly or throw tantrums?
This is where the Parent steps in and corrects those actions..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
This isn't new. A lot of common criminals are really just acting like big babies.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Most of these studies are garbage and waste of taxpayer dollars. You can do a study on anything and come up with some ridiculous conclusion.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:30 PM

537 posts, read 818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Tantrums and lack of self control in toddlers is a sign they may grow up to be drugs addicts and criminals, claims research.

Badly behaved children as young as three are also the most prone to financial and health problems in adulthood.

Doesn't every child had a tantrum at least once or twice at that age?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I hope this does not turn into labely young kids before they even have a chance in life, take care.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
I had the same reaction as other posters at first, i.e., don't pathologize normal toddler behaviors!!

Moffit and Caspi are actually highly respected developmental psychopathology researchers (I worked in this field for awhile in grad school). I think the article may not be fully explaining the study and may be simplifying/overstating the relationship. My guess is that they looked at toddlers whose impulse control was way below average compared to other toddlers, rather than just talking about the normative level of impulsivity a little one has...I'm going to try to find the primary source and will link if I can.

ETA:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...0-03f9b382e792
Disclaimer - it's a dense read if you're not familiar with social science stats

My suspicion was right - they assessed impulsivity through a number of behavioral markers and reports from scientific observers, teachers, and parents at 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 years old and pooled that data and followed the same kids up at age 32. The level of impulsivity measured (low impulse control) refers to more than just the normal level of poor impulse control a toddler has - it's talking about toddlers who are way more impulsive than their peers. So I think the Telegraph article reporting on the results is a tad misleading or at least not as detailed as it needs to be. Also, not sure if Telegraph mentioned that some toddlers who were assessed as highly impulsive at age 3 and were taught increased self-control by age 11 ended up with "good" adult outcomes. Hope that helps a bit?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 01-27-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I believe there is a great deal to be said for this. Look up "Sociopath" in Wiki. People, for the most part, are born that way, maybe about 3% of the male population. I wouldn't think it would be very hard to spot a budding sociopath in a group of toddlers.

However, if we define "criminal" as a person who has been convicted of a felony, of course it becomes more problematic to predict who is going to be someday arrested and serve hard time in the big house.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Most of these studies are garbage and waste of taxpayer dollars. You can do a study on anything and come up with some ridiculous conclusion.
I agree, but don't waste that paper, use it to start the fire in the morning.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Also, not sure if Telegraph mentioned that some toddlers who were assessed as highly impulsive at age 3 and were taught increased self-control by age 11 ended up with "good" adult outcomes. Hope that helps a bit?
That's an important piece of information to leave out. Glad to hear the study concluded what we already knew: good parenting can make a positive difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting