U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Reputation: 19847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I've never EVER heard of a woman being so adamantly against being with an uncir'd man. If they are, then she's the one with issues and it's best that my son stay away from her.

Who's personal choice is it? Your son's? Why not give him the choice when he's a man? It's not your baby's choice.

And again, yes, in areas with higher education, people tend to do it less. It's an old fashioned practice, outdated and barbaric.
I agree with this post one thousand percent !!!

 
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,529,398 times
Reputation: 1916
Update..I talked to my oldest son and told him of our discussion. He said he knew one guy in college who wasn't but also laughed and said he never checked guys out. He also told me he would have been pissed had I not done it and he had to have it done as an adult.

My Mother of the Year award is still intact
 
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,141,781 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Update..I talked to my oldest son and told him of our discussion. He said he knew one guy in college who wasn't but also laughed and said he never checked guys out. He also told me he would have been pissed had I not done it and he had to have it done as an adult.

My Mother of the Year award is still intact
I'm betting that if you hadn't had it done he would have also been happy with the decision and would not feel any reason to have it done as an adult since that would be what he grew up with.
 
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,529,398 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm betting that if you hadn't had it done he would have also been happy with the decision and would not feel any reason to have it done as an adult since that would be what he grew up with.
No, he actually thinks it is gross too. And no, it is not something I stuck in his head, we rarely have ever had conversations of this type in his life.

Different strokes for different folks
 
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,141,781 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
No, he actually thinks it is gross too. And no, it is not something I stuck in his head, we rarely have ever had conversations of this type in his life.

Different strokes for different folks
But if he hadn't had it done and had grown up with an intact penis all of his life I don't think he would think intact penis' were gross. Either way, your mother of the year award would remain intact.
 
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,529,398 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
But if he hadn't had it done and had grown up with an intact penis all of his life I don't think he would think intact penis' were gross. Either way, your mother of the year award would remain intact.
Not sure, I had a mole I thought was gross my whole life and I grew up with it. I had it removed
 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Reputation: 19847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
But if he hadn't had it done and had grown up with an intact penis all of his life I don't think he would think intact penis' were gross. Either way, your mother of the year award would remain intact.
I agree, if he wasnt cut he would have not know any better and by the time he did, he would have been used to it and thought his is how a penis looks, and as i man, i dont think he would have cared.
 
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 7,931,569 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

I agree and I don't.
A baby does not have a say in the matter. So to me, it should not be done unless the boy himself wants to be cut. It is his penis and it should be his decesion.

I completely understand your point, but it is much more painful the older they are, I was in the room when my boys were circumcised, they cried when they were put in the form because they didn't like being constrained, as soon as it was over I nursed and never had another issue. As I said it is personal preference and for those who think it is wrong nothing I could ever say would change their belief.
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Reputation: 19847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I completely understand your point, but it is much more painful the older they are, I was in the room when my boys were circumcised, they cried when they were put in the form because they didn't like being constrained, as soon as it was over I nursed and never had another issue. As I said it is personal preference and for those who think it is wrong nothing I could ever say would change their belief.

Yes, I will grant you that as truth, obviously.

Having 3 sons not cut, they never had a problem with it to the best of my knowledge...and trust me, if they did, I would have heard about it, over and over and over again...
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,081 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm betting that if you hadn't had it done he would have also been happy with the decision and would not feel any reason to have it done as an adult since that would be what he grew up with.
This is my guess as well. My brothers are both intact, and they both are thankful to my parents for not cutting off part of their respective bodies. My husband is circed, and does not miss his foreskin (but thankfully did not try to insist that our son would be circed). You are used to what you know. This is evident by the number of girls in Africa and elsewhere still undergoing female genital mutilation by their own mothers and grandmothers. All of those women are evidently happy that they had it done, because they then turn around and do it to their own daughters. It's what they know, and what seems "normal" to them, whether it is, in fact, normal to the rest of the population or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top