U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 AM

235 posts, read 436,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I am all for doing whatever you want to yourself or children as long as it is legal and harmless. I have a personal affection for the cut guys. I just didn't like to touch the other kind. I guess that made me juvenile but since I WAS a juvenile and I have been married forever, I haven't tested myself to see if I have overcome my personal issues with uncuts.

PS Breastfeeding Nazi's is slang for women who are overbearing when talking about breastfeeding choices,.

Urban Dictionary: breastfeeding nazi
The thing is, not everyone believes that circ'ing is harmless. I think that's why there is such a heated disagreement over this issue. Some that don't circ absolutely believe that those that do ARE harming their boys with an unnecessary surgery that may or may not affect them for the rest of their lives (if it's botched or causes future issues). By not circ'ing you leave the option open for it to be done later if the OWNER of the penis decides to do it. You can always have it done later, you can't undo it later.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,531,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
You made the choice to have the mole removed. Your son never had the opportunity to make a similar choice.
I know, I was making a joke.

Anyway, this topic has obviously run its course. I am not going to keep arguing the merits of turtlenecks because I will never agree with the other side just as they will never see mine. To each his own.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,805,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I know, I was making a joke.

Anyway, this topic has obviously run its course. I am not going to keep arguing the merits of turtlenecks because I will never agree with the other side just as they will never see mine. To each his own.
Well, could you at least stop calling an uncircumcized penis a "turtleneck"? After all, it's not an inanimate piece of clothing, it's part of a living, breathing, feeling human body.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,531,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Well, could you at least stop calling an uncircumcized penis a "turtleneck"? After all, it's not an inanimate piece of clothing, it's part of a living, breathing, feeling human body.
Yes

Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
What is with all the arrogant derogatory comments coming from the nay crowd. In the USA we can do what we want with our children, isn't that what all these Grizzly Bear mothers demand? The freedom to home school without the government interfering? The freedom to not vaccinate? The freedom to eat granola. There is no harm in circumcizing or else it would not be legal. In fact there are 2 studies that show it prevents a variety of STDs from spreading. So how can anyone justify posting rude comments to other people who are actually doing something to prevent the spread of diseases and making the best decision for THEIR family?

Gathering from these posts, mothers of uncuts appear to believe they are better MOTHERS than cut ones. I find such judgmental people unattractive, EVEN MORE so then an uncut penis, and that ugliness is rearing its head in this thread. It actually reminds me of the breastfeeding nazi's who post. Show some respect for other point of views. Just because some women do not like the look OR feel of a turtleneck does not mean other women don't just ADORE it. So what? To each their own.

I think you should reread the thread. That is not the reason I had my son cut. But since you find it appropriate to not only personally attack because you do not agree with my religious views on circumcision, but are intolerant of anyone who does do it for whatever reason, I would Love to know your background is. No one ever produced that link that stated educated people do not circumcise because there is no study backing up such nonsense.

People do it for a variety of reasons, we are religious, we did think it looks better, the father is cut, which is somewhat like when people name their children jr., it is carrying on tradition and there is the clean factor which is something to consider.

I am sure my son will eventually hate me for a variety of reasons and this may be one of them, but I can live with that.

The reason females are not circumcised is because there is no positive for it. No lowered risk of STDs, no prevention of anything. I am sure if it has any reason other than ornamental or traditional it would be done in the US as well.

If there was no medical or hygenic reasons for boys circ, we would have reconsidered the religious aspects, but since that is not the case, we went ahead.

The reasons you don't let your sons decide later is because it will hurt more with age, so if he wanted it done, the moment has passed unless he is determined,

If you want to say we are choosing for them, that is correct.There are a million decisions parents make for the children every day,from where to place the car seat in the car, whether to vaccinate, what school to attend, where to live, what to eat, when to sleep, whether to attend church, whether to believe in santa/tooth fairy/boogie man, what to wear.

As a parent we decide their fate EVERY day. Oh, and I pierced my girls ears at 8 and 10 months old.

As for losing sensation? That is false.[LEFT]A study in the San Francisco Bay Area conducted by notable anti-circumcision activists and funded by NOCIRC measured "fine-touch pressure thresholds" at 19 locations on the uncircumcised and 11 on the circumcised penis [Sorrells et al., 2007]. Although the authors claimed that their study showed the ***** of the uncircumcised penis to be more sensitive than the circumcised, this is false, as analysis of their data by Waskett & Morris showed there was in fact no statistical difference [Waskett & Morris, 2007]. Despite other claims, the actual statistics in the NOCIRC paper showed a marginally significant difference (P = 0.03) only for the orifice rim. However, their statistical analysis was nave and incomplete.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]When Waskett & Morris then conducted a Bonferroni correction on their data, as should have been done by the authors, in order to eliminate false positives arising from the multiple testing they carried out, this marginal statistical difference disappeared [Waskett & Morris, 2007]. Their data thus showed there was no difference in sensitivity between the circumcised and uncircumcised penis. Moreover, serious design flaws, subjects in the Methods who were unaccounted for in the data presented in their Results section, biased presentation, and other omissions make this study lack any credibility whatsoever [Waskett & Morris, 2007].[/LEFT]

Well, I don't agree with you.

God created the human body, he made man with foreskin on his penis obviously for a reason, who are we (man) to cut it off.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,937,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well, I don't agree with you.

God created the human body, he made man with foreskin on his penis obviously for a reason, who are we (man) to cut it off.
God also gave us wisdom teeth and you routinely see them removed just because they MAY cause issues in the future, yet I see noone getting upset and calling parents who allow their children's wisdom teeth to be removed barbarians. For anyone who has ever had their wisdom teeth surgically removed it is a painful thing to experience and since the wisdom teeth are usually the last teeth to come in, they are usually surgically removed.

God also gave us appendix's and tonsils both of which are routinely removed. So just because God created us and I am pretty sure that everything he put in our bodies were there for a reason, it does not mean it has to stay.

Fact is there will always be a debate and disagreements from both sides about the validity of circumcision, I think the point Taboo 2 was trying to make is that it does not make those of us who chose circumcision for our sons bad parents or barbarians. We as parents routinely make choices for our kids that they may not like, that is just a parents job. If parents do not make a big deal of it then I doubt very seriously the kids will. Like I said I have 4 boys, 1 uncircumcised and 3 circumcised and not once has any of them ever come home and asked either their father or myself why they are different or for that matter ever made a comment about it.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
and you routinely see them removed just because theyGod also gave us wisdom teeth MAY cause issues in the future, yet I see noone getting upset and calling parents who allow their children's wisdom teeth to be removed barbarians. For anyone who has ever had their wisdom teeth surgically removed it is a painful thing to experience and since the wisdom teeth are usually the last teeth to come in, they are usually surgically removed.

God also gave us appendix's and tonsils both of which are routinely removed. So just because God created us and I am pretty sure that everything he put in our bodies were there for a reason, it does not mean it has to stay.

Fact is there will always be a debate and disagreements from both sides about the validity of circumcision, I think the point Taboo 2 was trying to make is that it does not make those of us who chose circumcision for our sons bad parents or barbarians. We as parents routinely make choices for our kids that they may not like, that is just a parents job. If parents do not make a big deal of it then I doubt very seriously the kids will. Like I said I have 4 boys, 1 uncircumcised and 3 circumcised and not once has any of them ever come home and asked either their father or myself why they are different or for that matter ever made a comment about it.
I still have all my wisdom teeth, I also have my tonsils....
If a uncut penis becomes painful for whatever reason, like wisdom teeht or appendix or whatever, then yes of course....but to a new born baby boy just to cut it off.
sorry, no.
cant agree with that.

Ok, I have said my peace, and we all have different views on it, which is fine.

I just made sure that that my sons are not cut, and they are really the only ones that I am concerned about.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM

4,111 posts, read 3,074,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
God also gave us wisdom teeth and you routinely see them removed just because they MAY cause issues in the future, yet I see noone getting upset and calling parents who allow their children's wisdom teeth to be removed barbarians. For anyone who has ever had their wisdom teeth surgically removed it is a painful thing to experience and since the wisdom teeth are usually the last teeth to come in, they are usually surgically removed.

Appendixes and tonsils are not routinely removed. They're only removed when they are causing a problem.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,959,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Since you don't like the judgement then maybe you should refrain from judging others so harshly yourself. Nazi's? Really?
We've talked about the Nazi thing before. It is definitely offensive considering what real Nazis did.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,959,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Appendixes and tonsils are not routinely removed. They're only removed when they are causing a problem.
^Ditto that. I don't see any reason to prophylactically remove a functioning body part if it isn't causing a problem. If it starts causing a problem, deal with it then. I still have my wisdom teeth, my tonsils, and my appendix.

I don't know if it's true that more educated people circ less, though that rings true to me because I think that of people who do the research, more of them choose not to. But I do know that many lower income people are not circ'ing as much because in many states Medicaid no longer pays for it, and many insurance companies are not paying for it anymore either, because it is deemed a cosmetic procedure. Therefore, if you want it, more and more, you have to pay for it out-of-pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting