U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well, living in San Francisco which has a large population of foreigners as well as large gay population, global social awareness is something I am very sensitive too. As some of you know, much of the area's opinions seem to resonate more with a global view rather than a United States view. So I would have to say yes, part of the reason I did it is to protect my son and his future sex partners and giving them a lesser chance of catching HIV which would spread the virus further. It is also why I vaccinated my children on schedule. Aside from personal benefits outweighing the negative, I feel a responsibility to not intentionally spread life-threatening diseases. I also believe we don't provide enough services for the disabled, mentally ill, homeless, substance abusers, underage runaways forced into prostitution, and a variety of other discarded human beings that parts of society tries to ignore or make out to be villains. I am extremely socially conscious and do feel it is my responsibility to contribute to making this world a better place to the best of my ability. I know I don't always succeed, but I am trying.
Interesting.

I was born and raised in sub-Saharan Africa in a country with the greatest incidence of HIV at present (hence my user name). 1:10 people in my home country are infected with HIV. The studies done on the effects of circumcision on HIV transmission in sub-Saharan Africa are last-ditch attempts to help reduce the spread of a disease that has already annihilated millions of people in the region. These studies are not intended to show new safe sexual practices. We know that the only way to prevent the spread of STD's is abstinence or the use of condoms. To think that circumcision is an alternative to safe sexual practices is naive.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM

4,111 posts, read 3,074,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interesting.

I was born and raised in sub-Saharan Africa in a country with the greatest incidence of HIV at present (hence my user name). 1:10 people in my home country are infected with HIV. The studies done on the effects of circumcision on HIV transmission in sub-Saharan Africa are last-ditch attempts to help reduce the spread of a disease that has already annihilated millions of people in the region. These studies are not intended to show new safe sexual practices. We know that the only way to prevent the spread of STD's is abstinence or the use of condoms. To think that circumcision is an alternative to safe sexual practices is naive.
I could not rep you again, so here ya go:

In the United States, we have the luxury of being educated enough to prevent the transmission of AIDS through condom use. We don't need to depend on circumcision to keep us safe (not that it does anyway... circed men get, carry, and transmit AIDS as well!). I certainly hope that all of the posters who circed because they thought it might prevent their infant sons from one day spreading AIDS around to innocent people intend to fully educate them on safe sex practices, choosing your partners wisely, insisting on tests, using condoms, etc. Circ does not prevent AIDS the same way that the MMR prevents measles.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM

235 posts, read 436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I could not rep you again, so here ya go:

In the United States, we have the luxury of being educated enough to prevent the transmission of AIDS through condom use. We don't need to depend on circumcision to keep us safe (not that it does anyway... circed men get, carry, and transmit AIDS as well!). I certainly hope that all of the posters who circed because they thought it might prevent their infant sons from one day spreading AIDS around to innocent people intend to fully educate them on safe sex practices, choosing your partners wisely, insisting on tests, using condoms, etc. Circ does not prevent AIDS the same way that the MMR prevents measles.
Big fat ditto.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,937,996 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I am just floored to think that people actually think circumcision would prevent a person from being infected with HIV or make them unable to spread HIV.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,229,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am just floored to think that people actually think circumcision would prevent a person from being infected with HIV or make them unable to spread HIV.
Right there with you on that.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,004,571 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I can not say this better. Thank you.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,262,889 times
Quote:
And I am floored that people think the WHO is making up statistics and studies just to promote circumcision worldwide.

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%

I do understand this information is for countries with a high HIV population and I certainly don't think this is the ONLY method for prevention, using condoms is always the bestt choice to stop the spread of disease, but as teen pregnancy shows, young people do not always do what is best for them. We travel quite a bit internationally and I can only assume my children will be world travelers as well. You never know who they will meet up with. You can be as judgmental as you want and think you are right, but we ALL do what is right for our own families.

WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention
WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalenc

Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM

235 posts, read 436,974 times
Quote:
And I am floored that people think the WHO is making up statistics and studies just to promote circumcision worldwide.

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%

I do understand this information is for countries with a high HIV population and I certainly don't think this is the ONLY method for prevention, using condoms is always the bestt choice to stop the spread of disease, but as teen pregnancy shows, young people do not always do what is best for them. We travel quite a bit internationally and I can only assume my children will be world travelers as well. You never know who they will meet up with. You can be as judgmental as you want and think you are right, but we ALL do what is right for our own families.

WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence
Bolded red is mine. Last I checked, the US/Europe wasn't in this category so I still see absolutely no reason to use this as a reason for routine infant circ'ing.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,937,996 times
Quote:

WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalenc

I am being judgmental how exactly???????? According to the studies that I read there is no conclusive evidence that circumcision can help prevent the spread of HIV.

If indeed it was the cure-all for HIV I would think the medical community in North America would have jumped on the band wagon, instead there has been a steady decline in circumcisions.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Quote:
So would you think that parents that are less educated are more likely to circumcise their boys or would parents with higher education be the ones asking for the circumcisions?
It seems that a higher socio- economic level leads to a higher rate of circumcision. Although to be fair I do believe that the declining rate of insurance coverage for the procedure may have something to do with those figures over the last ten years or so. If you are on the lower end of the socio economic scale, and your insurance doesn't cover it because it's viewed as a cosmetic procedure, you're probably less inclined to have it done.

http://www.malecircumcision.org/medi...terminants.pdf
2007 report "In a number of countries, socio-economic factors also influence circumcision prevalence, especially in countries with more recent uptake of the practice such as English-speaking industrialised countries. When male circumcision was first practised in the United Kingdom in the late 19th and early 20th century, it was most prevalent among the upper classes. In the US, a review of 4.7 million newborn male circumcisions nationwide between 1988 and 2000 also found a significant association with private insurance and higher socioeconomic status."

Circumcision in the United States
1997 study "Circumcision rates vary significantly by the level of education obtained by a respondent's mother. The critical break occurred between respondents whose mothers did and did not earn a high school diploma. While 62% of respondents whose mothers did not finish high school were circumcised, the rate for all other respondents varied form 84% to 87%. These differences remained significant when other factors were controlled. Net of such factors, the odds of being circumcised for respondents whose mothers earned at least a high school diploma was about 2.5 times (95% CI, 1.9-3.8) that of those whose mothers were less educated. This discrepancy appeared to be narrowing in more recent cohorts. Among the youngest group of respondents, only those whose mothers had finished college displayed a significantly higher circumcision rate than those whose mothers had not earned a high school diploma."

I'm also a NAY, I didn't do it for the same reason I didn't pierce my baby daughters ears. I believed in letting them make their own choices about their bodies when they were old enough. DS is grown and so far as I know it has never been any kind of issue for him. I'm comfortable with my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting