Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're not Jewish, then this rule doesn't apply. But I'm answering your question, which is: "Who are we to tell God it doesn't belong there?" My answer is, God is the one telling people it doesn't belong there IF you are Jewish. God has no opinion of it either way, otherwise. Who are we to question God's decision that it doesn't?
But, as is the case with many religious issues, not all Jews even agree with this interpretation anymore. Particularly among Reform Jews, it is becoming more and more common not to circumcise, and Reform Rabbis do not require it at a bris anymore. I attended a bris a few months ago in which the baby was not circumcised and I did talk to the Rabbi about the issue and this is what she told me. She said that she would circumcise her own son, but that she does not think it is required as a Jew and she has no problem doing a bris without a circ, and that more and more Jews are choosing this in her congregation lately. Jews were told to circumcise not because there was something wrong with the foreskin, but because they needed a meaningful blood covenant with God. Some are also choosing to do just a nick instead of a full circumcision, just enough to produce a drop of blood.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
A brit mila is, by definition, a covenant of circumcision. If a rabbi is performing a bris, without the circumcision, then it is not a brit mila. It is just a bris, which lacks the "badge of Judaism" that marks the male as a bonafide card-carrying Jew. I am a Reform Jew. What you are referring to are a certain sect of Jews, who are aside from the Reform Movement, an adjunct, a sect, a seperation of, whatever you want to call it.

The Reform Movement still adheres to the laws of the covenant of Abraham, according to the text of the Torah that transliterates into Genesis 17. The "Non-Circumcising Reform Jews" are not adherent to the same thing. You could compare it to the different sects of Christianity; they all have their own ways of doing things, some traditional, some not. But they are not the same, you can't call a Baptist a Catholic, just because they both believe in Jesus the Christ. They are both, however, Christian.

Just like these non-traditional Jews who have determined that they don't need to circumcise their children anymore, are still Jews. But they are not of the Reform Movement, no matter what they want to call themselves. They are something other. A Chassidic Jew would deny that they're Jews at all. A Lubavitcher wouldn't even waste their time pondering the idea.

You can find out more by visiting the URJ (Union of Reform Judiasm) or the Berit Mila Brogram of Reform Judiasm (BMPRJ).

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I don't buy the bible thing. The Bible is what, 2000 years old, and written by "man", sorry i don't buy it.

I can only surmise that through the years the Bible has been altered maybe just a bit, if not, a lot.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Not everybody believes in God?

You don't have to believe in God, point is, you were born with a foreskin, you should die with a foreskin.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
You don't have to believe in God, point is, you were born with a foreskin, you should die with a foreskin.
I was born with an appendix too but I'm not dying with it.

This argument is pointless and been done to death anyway. I stand by my decision. I'm happy about it, my sons are happy about it and that is all that matters.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I was born with an appendix too but I'm not dying with it.

This argument is pointless and been done to death anyway. I stand by my decision. I'm happy about it, my sons are happy about it and that is all that matters.

of course it is pointless, you are right !

my sons are glad I didn't have then cut. they are in their high 20's now and never had a problem.

also, if your appendix is broken, (lol) then I can see getting it removed. But a little boys penis isn't broken when he is born, and does not need top be tampered with.

I get sick at even just the thought of a man (doctor) using a knife on a poor little defensless baby, just laying there, it just seems so cruel.

I just can't get passed that.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM

296 posts, read 542,773 times
I wouldn't circumcise my son.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Quote:
of course it is pointless, you are right !

my sons are glad I didn't have then cut. they are in their high 20's now and never had a problem.

also, if your appendix is broken, (lol) then I can see getting it removed. But a little boys penis isn't broken when he is born, and does not need top be tampered with.

I get sick at even just the thought of a man (doctor) using a knife on a poor little defensless baby, just laying there, it just seems so cruel.

I just can't get passed that.
I know, was just pointing out we were all born with an organ with no point

I was a little worried about how my boys would be after the circ. They were both back in my room an hour later, barely any fuss or muss from them so it couldn't have been too traumatizing.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
I don't buy the bible thing. The Bible is what, 2000 years old, and written by "man", sorry i don't buy it.

I can only surmise that through the years the Bible has been altered maybe just a bit, if not, a lot.
So then, you brought up the whole "god gave us this" argument just to argue? Or was it just to hijack/derail a thread? And just because YOU can't handle seeing doctors with knives, doesn't mean it's the right or wrong thing for your children. It is another invalid argument based on YOUR emotional reactions, and not anything to do with your children's needs/wants.

Also, there are children who are born with hideous mutations - mutations that aren't broken, that do exactly what those mutations are supposed to do. God put them there - and so we should just allow the children to grow up with them? Or should we try to treat them? Another pointless, invalid argument.

Take your debates to the debates part of the C-D forum. This is about parenting.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A brit mila is, by definition, a covenant of circumcision. If a rabbi is performing a bris, without the circumcision, then it is not a brit mila. It is just a bris, which lacks the "badge of Judaism" that marks the male as a bonafide card-carrying Jew. I am a Reform Jew. What you are referring to are a certain sect of Jews, who are aside from the Reform Movement, an adjunct, a sect, a seperation of, whatever you want to call it.

The Reform Movement still adheres to the laws of the covenant of Abraham, according to the text of the Torah that transliterates into Genesis 17. The "Non-Circumcising Reform Jews" are not adherent to the same thing. You could compare it to the different sects of Christianity; they all have their own ways of doing things, some traditional, some not. But they are not the same, you can't call a Baptist a Catholic, just because they both believe in Jesus the Christ. They are both, however, Christian.

Just like these non-traditional Jews who have determined that they don't need to circumcise their children anymore, are still Jews. But they are not of the Reform Movement, no matter what they want to call themselves. They are something other. A Chassidic Jew would deny that they're Jews at all. A Lubavitcher wouldn't even waste their time pondering the idea.

You can find out more by visiting the URJ (Union of Reform Judiasm) or the Berit Mila Brogram of Reform Judiasm (BMPRJ).
I know what Reform Jews are. My father's entire side of the family are Reform Jews. The bris that I went to was at a large Reform Jewish congregation. Judea Reform - Durham, NC - Home I am not talking about a different sect or offshoot. Maybe your rabbi/congregation does not agree with this practice, but you can't say that those who allow it are another sect and can't be called Reform Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting