U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,169,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Like I said. Different strokes, different folks.

Lets all just be happy about our own and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Because they appreciate not having foreskins.

Look, this thread has been beat to death. Some people find foreskins revolting, some people don't. Everybody should just worry about their own penises and not everybody elses.

Dr. Freud would have a field day with this thread.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM

89 posts, read 151,188 times
my husband is, as 99% of my country's men, uncut.
He is very clean and never had any hygiene issues.
However, he washes with water and intimate soap after using the toilet and after intimate stuff.

Females DO collect smegma too.

But you know what, it's also washable.

If instead of using water and soap you prefer to cut it off, you must be some horribly stinky people.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,230,302 times
The medical community, at least in the U.S., has said that there are both benefits and risks involved in infant male circumcision. At this time (1999 by American Pediatric Association guidelines), there is not enough evidence to recommend or discourage routine circumcision. The decision is one to be considered by parents with impartial and non-inflammatory information from their health care providers, and involves religious, cultural and medical beliefs and preferences. Read: Until otherwise noted, to each his own. Do what you believe is right for your son based on the available information, and let others do the same.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM

That is a more pertinent answer and actually I completely agree to this attitude 100%.

Althouh, if you remember well, the medical community of any country flips and changes its mind every 5 years or so and usually their opinions go hand in hand with insurance money making or pharma. It's not a conspiracy, it's simply how the economy goes.

I only reacted to some arguments that simply revolted me:

- this thread has been beaten enough already: I believe only a moderator can decide when has a thread run its course and when it does not provide anymore insight or information for users.

- circumcision helps hygiene and prevents spread of STD: flash news, so does water and soap. But I guess it's too dramatic for some of you.

- Let's all mind our own penises. Exactly. Put a dinner plate up yours if you like, but why do you consider you are the one to decide how will your son's look like for the rest of his life?

and finally,

- I do it so that my son will not be mocked by others and so that he will look good.

To whom, to you? As someone earlier noticed, unless you intend to bang him, deciding already what's attractive in the next decades when you probably won;t be around anymore is a bit over the top. And kids mock eachother anyways. How about you help him out with some ear and nose jobs too, now that we;re at it? As far as I know, those are usually more visible than a penis.

These were the pro arguments that irked me the most. As for the decision itself, your kids, your country, your life, your legal responsibility, your choice in the end. Enjoy whatever steps you make

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,320,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
It wasn't my post, but I think you are overreacting. The statement was not that circ is alike to child molestation in its violation of the child, but that the argument that the pain is irrelevant not b/c they don't feel it but b/c they won't remember it, is alike.
Thank-you, Adventive!

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,767,524 times
These topics can turn decidedly emotional, just as can any parenting decision these days. To each their own. As long as the kids are healthy, happy and safe, life is good.

I originally was a yes, then a nay, then finally a yes when my son got some pretty bad infections that had nothing to do with washing or personal cleanliness. The urologist told us that in his case, it would be better to do it because things were not looking so good down there. Even getting cut at 5 years old, while at first was pretty nasty looking, wasn't that traumatic. He was out of the hospital that day, in a bit of pain that evening, then running around the next day. If things had just run their course, I probably wouldn't have done it but we did and don't look back. No infections and antibiotics...woot.

(Internationally adopted kid so don't nuke me for being a bad parent)

Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,320,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
That is a more pertinent answer and actually I completely agree to this attitude 100%.

Althouh, if you remember well, the medical community of any country flips and changes its mind every 5 years or so and usually their opinions go hand in hand with insurance money making or pharma. It's not a conspiracy, it's simply how the economy goes.

- this thread has been beaten enough already: I believe only a moderator can decide when has a thread run its course and when it does not provide anymore insight or information for users.

- circumcision helps hygiene and prevents spread of STD: flash news, so does water and soap. But I guess it's too dramatic for some of you.

- Let's all mind our own penises. Exactly. Put a dinner plate up yours if you like, but why do you consider you are the one to decide how will your son's look like for the rest of his life?

and finally,

- I do it so that my son will not be mocked by others and so that he will look good.

To whom, to you? As someone earlier noticed, unless you intend to bang him, deciding already what's attractive in the next decades when you probably won;t be around anymore is a bit over the top. And kids mock eachother anyways. How about you help him out with some ear and nose jobs too, now that we;re at it? As far as I know, those are usually more visible than a penis.

These were the pro arguments that irked me the most. As for the decision itself, your kids, your country, your life, your legal responsibility, your choice in the end. Enjoy whatever steps you make
I owe you rep.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,230,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post

and finally,

Thanks.

You absolutely have the right to your opinion re: circumcision, even though I disagree with some of what you say. Re: the medical community changing its mind, yes, that does happen in light of new research. At least in the US, infant male circumcision was routine for decades. To the best of my knowledge, for the past decade or more the stance has been it is the parents' choice - not routinely recommended or discouraged.

I think the people calling for an end to the thread are of the opinion that this debate has been done to death (and a new circumcision thread tends to crop up fairly consistently on this forum). I agree that at a certain point rehashing opinions gets old, particularly when the tone starts to get ugly. For whatever reason, this debate tends to draw a lot of vitriol and condemnation for others' views. I say, live and let live.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,264,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click

Name one STD that is totally prevented by soap and water???? What country are you from that they teach you this nonsense??

Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 AM

Basically the myth that the lack of a foreskin prevents a STD infection comes from this - silly - reasoning:

Intercourse - > change of fluids - > if female partner is infected, then secretions will stick and last longer under the foreskin, thus increasing the chances of a contamination.
No foreskin - > no chance.

You do realize it's silly, right?

However, starting from exactly the same - ridiculous - reasoning:

Intercourse, yadda yadda - > finish - > GO WASH - > same ****.

The absence or presence of a skin fold will not protect you from STD. A condom might.

Edit: You know what's also silly, the desperation with which people cling to these nonexistent benefits. At least the Muslims and Jewish have the balls to say "This is how we roll, that's how we do it. Religion, tradition, whatever, eff off."
But no, some of us actually feel the need to convince the whole world - and perhaps themselves - that it's actually a salvation gesture hidden behind a knife, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting