U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I find thinking about your child's sex life creepy. I find the idea of cutting off a piece of their anatomy because you're thinking about what their future wives will like, beyond creepy. If a father, anywhere, thinks his daughter should be circumcised because her husband will enjoy her more, well... that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

But now, that I know all your female friends think it's gross I'm going to ignore the fact that the vast majority of people in the world are not circumcised and for the vast amount of human existence nobody was, and that in the US it's down to 32% of babies being circumcised and the rest are not, and agree with you. I can't fight you and all your female friends. If they say it's so, then it must be so. That's too much objective evidence for me!
I spent more time than I ever wanted to thinking about my kids sex lives and talking about it with them. Responsible parenting and all.

In any case, you are just a bit bitter and ridicuous, so moving on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
Your kids think an uncirc'd penis is gross, yet you've never discussed it with them? Sorry, I don't get that. My husband and I talked at great length prior to making the decision for our sons and I find a lot of what is being said in this thread so interesting because it is just the exact opposite of my husband's experience.

He said guys don't look at each other in the locker room....and if they do, they certainly don't comment on each other's junk. He said there were only a few guys uncirc'd when he was in school and he never experienced anyone teasing them or even commenting. Maybe in private, but certainly not in front of other guys. He said THAT guy would get teased mercilessly for looking at another guys penis.

As for 'every single female' friend of yours finding them gross & a deal breaker, that has also NOT been my experience at all...and I'm in MA as well. In fact, I have 2 very close friends who married men from Europe (who are not circ'd obviously) and they had no issues whatsoever...it was never even a concern or topic of conversation. In fact, I can't remember ever even THINKING of such a thing when dating various men. If the relationship got to the point where any of us were seeing a man naked, believe me, the look of his penis was not a concern. I cannot believe that some women are so incredibly shallow. I just can't imagine judging someone in that way....I'm actually a bit sad to think that someone may love my son enough or find him attractive enough to want to be with him but because he's not circ'd they'd find him 'gross' and it would be a 'deal breaker'? Sad indeed!

Thankfully my (circ'd) husband and I were on the same page. My DH wishes he wasn't circ'd. He said there was no reason at all to have our boys done. None of the common reasons made any sense to us at all. He doesn't want our boys to 'look like him' because they don't look like him in so many other ways....certainly not going to compare penis's! As for future locker room teasing...DH said it just didn't happen from his experience and regardless...kids can be cruel and I'm sure there will be plenty of other things to tease the kids about. In regards to future partners....well, I guess it will be their loss then. Good luck finding a man 20+ years from now who is circ'd. Rates are steadily dropping, lots of foreign men live/work in our area, so women will have many less circ'd men to chose from. I assume attitudes of these women will change when they realize there aren't many circ'd men to chose from.
My kids are grown. I asked them when they were grown if they cared.

People can prefer fat, skinny, muscular, bald, hairy, blonde, brunette, big boobs etc..but they can't prefer circumcised????? Call me shallow then I guess.

Considering in 20 years I won't be trying to date a 20 year old, I think I will be all set. I have a new nephew due this week. He is being circumcised. My brother has 2 friends who just had boys, both circ'ed. I guess my circle is the only place it still happens.

In any case....to the CD Moms who I really like, I apologize if my views on this offend you. I really am sorry. I just have a hard time being accused of thinking of my kids like a molester does and not speak up. That is much more twisted than removing a foreskin.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM

235 posts, read 436,500 times
Preferences are fine. Saying someone is gross, that despite the fact you get to the point where you're going to see their penis it's now a 'deal breaker' because they have an extra piece of skin? That's the part that bothers me on behalf of my boys.

I'd say the same thing if my boys had red hair and someone said they were 'gross' or it was a 'deal breaker' despite loving everything else about them. It's hurtful and I personally find it sad & upsetting to think that some people can be so incredibly shallow. Having a preference for blondes is fine...but immediately ruling out anyone that is different or expressing they're gross....? Not part of my way of thinking.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,139,816 times
Quote:
Preferences are fine. Saying someone is gross, that despite the fact you get to the point where you're going to see their penis it's now a 'deal breaker' because they have an extra piece of skin? That's the part that bothers me on behalf of my boys.

I'd say the same thing if my boys had red hair and someone said they were 'gross' or it was a 'deal breaker' despite loving everything else about them. It's hurtful and I personally find it sad & upsetting to think that some people can be so incredibly shallow. Having a preference for blondes is fine...but immediately ruling out anyone that is different or expressing they're gross....? Not part of my way of thinking.
Totally agree with this.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,257,474 times
Quote:

Umm I have red hair as do 2 out of 3 of my kids and t was ALWAYS a deal breaker for me. I have NEVER found men with red hair attractive. There are so few out there we may be related. But I digress, I only am attracted to blue or hazel eyes. Not green, not brown. Also only men over 6'. Another deal Breaker because it makes me uncomfortable. So are you saying I tall, No reds,. And blue eyes that I'm shallower then men who only date athletic women, or ethnics who date ONLY in their own race???

Yeah whatever.

Oh and I know 22 boys under the age of 7 who are circd. There will be plenty out there still.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 PM

235 posts, read 436,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Umm I have red hair as do 2 out of 3 of my kids and t was ALWAYS a deal breaker for me. I have NEVER found men with red hair attractive. There are so few out there we may be related. But I digress, I only am attracted to blue or hazel eyes. Not green, not brown. Also only men over 6'. Another deal Breaker because it makes me uncomfortable.
So as a mother it doesn't upset you if someone thinks your kid is gross because they have red hair and that despite being wonderful loving people that they are immediately ruled out by potential mates that won't even give them a chance? Cold.

Quote:
So are you saying I tall, No reds,. And blue eyes that I'm shallower then men who only date athletic women, or ethnics who date ONLY in their own race???
Not shallower....just equally shallow.

Quote:
Yeah whatever.

Oh and I know 22 boys under the age of 7 who are circd. There will be plenty out there still.
No need to be rude. Anyway, all I'm saying is the rate for circ'ing your children is going down. Nurses told us it's about 60/40, nearing 50/50 in our area. If women are immediately willing to rule out half the men out there because they might not be circ'd go for it...but you may be missing out on a wonderful partner. More great men for the rest of them, I guess.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:58 PM

7,144 posts, read 12,728,761 times
Ow!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
How strange. In all my years on the planet I have never listed attributes that are a must, or conversely deal-breakers. I am attracted to the person, their personality, their heart, their nature. I have never considered the physical appearance of their genitalia either. Guess I'm weird.

This debate has veered steeply off the road into crazy and ridiculous territory. If you have a son, do extensive research, and make the best decision for yourself, your son, and your family. I think that what many posting here object to is the juvenile "eeeww, it's gross", "women will hate it", "it's gross and dirty" posts.

The latest research shows that around 30% of American males are now being circumcised, there are many, many studies available. If you still want to do, then do it. Stand by your decision, and own it, but I don't care for the juvenile silliness.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,313,579 times
Quote:
Your kids think an uncirc'd penis is gross, yet you've never discussed it with them? Sorry, I don't get that. My husband and I talked at great length prior to making the decision for our sons and I find a lot of what is being said in this thread so interesting because it is just the exact opposite of my husband's experience.

He said guys don't look at each other in the locker room....and if they do, they certainly don't comment on each other's junk. He said there were only a few guys uncirc'd when he was in school and he never experienced anyone teasing them or even commenting. Maybe in private, but certainly not in front of other guys. He said THAT guy would get teased mercilessly for looking at another guys penis.

As for 'every single female' friend of yours finding them gross & a deal breaker, that has also NOT been my experience at all...and I'm in MA as well. In fact, I have 2 very close friends who married men from Europe (who are not circ'd obviously) and they had no issues whatsoever...it was never even a concern or topic of conversation. In fact, I can't remember ever even THINKING of such a thing when dating various men. If the relationship got to the point where any of us were seeing a man naked, believe me, the look of his penis was not a concern. I cannot believe that some women are so incredibly shallow. I just can't imagine judging someone in that way....I'm actually a bit sad to think that someone may love my son enough or find him attractive enough to want to be with him but because he's not circ'd they'd find him 'gross' and it would be a 'deal breaker'? Sad indeed!

Thankfully my (circ'd) husband and I were on the same page. My DH wishes he wasn't circ'd. He said there was no reason at all to have our boys done. None of the common reasons made any sense to us at all. He doesn't want our boys to 'look like him' because they don't look like him in so many other ways....certainly not going to compare penis's! As for future locker room teasing...DH said it just didn't happen from his experience and regardless...kids can be cruel and I'm sure there will be plenty of other things to tease the kids about. In regards to future partners....well, I guess it will be their loss then. Good luck finding a man 20+ years from now who is circ'd. Rates are steadily dropping, lots of foreign men live/work in our area, so women will have many less circ'd men to chose from. I assume attitudes of these women will change when they realize there aren't many circ'd men to chose from.
I owe you more rep.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,763,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How strange. In all my years on the planet I have never listed attributes that are a must, or conversely deal-breakers. I am attracted to the person, their personality, their heart, their nature. I have never considered the physical appearance of their genitalia either. Guess I'm weird.
Very well said Zimbochick. I find it quite shallow to focus on one part of the person when the individual is really the most important thing. If a woman is focusing on a particular body type to make a judgment (baldness, shortness, color of hair, cut or uncut), I call that woman shallow and probably someone I wouldn't want around my son anyway.

To each their own. If you decide to circumsize your child, be comfortable with your decision. If you don't, that is fine too. As long as the child is healthy and happy, that is the important thing. Don't judge others for their decisions. Frankly, I don't really understand why these topics become so emotional.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,225,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post

To each their own. If you decide to circumsize your child, be comfortable with your decision. If you don't, that is fine too. As long as the child is healthy and happy, that is the important thing. Don't judge others for their decisions. Frankly, I don't really understand why these topics become so emotional.
Couldn't agree more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting