U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,955,446 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Christian, but I'm pretty sure that Paul said that Christians don't have to get circumcised. Only Jews had to be circumcised, not gentiles.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 AM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Yes, it is my opinion - WHICH I AM ALLOWED TO HAVE for goodness sakes.

I am very happy for your sons. Lol, poisoned? I have probably had 2 conversations that totaled 5 minutes with them about it and they were grown when I did. We didn't spend a lot of time talking about their penises growing up.

Given I don't believe that God created them really, not sure what good that would do.

Well then I wish you well never encountering another vagina in your life

Trust me, I won't !!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,137,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I'm not a Christian, but I'm pretty sure that Paul said that Christians don't have to get circumcised. Only Jews had to be circumcised, not gentiles.
Correct. Paul said that circumcision of the flesh is not to be done. Later the pop condemned those who circumcised.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,259,841 times
Quote:
It actually depends on the individual. Some churches believe there doesn't had to be a blood covenant since Jesus died on the cross eliminating that and some still believe it is the right thing to do. Let's just say my family is Lutheran, Presbyterian, Catholic, interdenominational and Episcopalian and each one has sons that are circd- on both side of the family.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,259,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Correct. Paul said that circumcision of the flesh is not to be done. Later the pop condemned those who circumcised.
1 corinthinians 7:1 For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. (1 7:19 ESV). Which verse did he condemn them?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
It actually depends on the individual. Some churches believe there doesn't had to be a blood covenant since Jesus died on the cross eliminating that and some still believe it is the right thing to do. Let's just say my family is Lutheran, Presbyterian, Catholic, interdenominational and Episcopalian and each one has sons that are circd- on both side of the family.
Oh, sure lots of Christians do it. I was just saying that I didn't think it was required, just optional. The other poster had said she did it for religious reasons b/c she is Christian and quoted the OT, and that didn't make sense to me. It makes sense for Jews, but not Christians, to use religion as their reason for circ.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,621,982 times
Quote:
There's a passage in the OT, probably Leviticus, I forget, that says no one with a foreskin gets into Heaven.

Whatever that means to you....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
From a religious standpoint Jews and Muslims perform it as part of their beliefs per the Abrahamic tradition. Several Christian subsects such as Coptics, Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox also perform it as part of their beliefs.

The Christian church in general takes a neutral stance to the entire issue, believing it to be neither wrong nor right from a moral and biblical standpoint.

Jesus was circumcized as recorded in the Bible cementing the fact he was Jewish. This event is still celebrated in the Greek and Russian Orthodox Church as the "Circumcision of the Infant Jesus".

The Council of Jerusalem according to the Acts of the Apostles rejected the practice of circumcision as a requirement for gentile conversion.

Paul of Tarsus in Acts, Romans and Corinthians took a waffling approach, at one time being neutral, at another being against it while simultaneously performing a circumcision on Timothy. In Galatians he finally comes out against it saying that those who are circumcised will profit nothing from Christ.

The first Pope, Simon Peter, did in fact condemn the practice for Christians in Acts 15 strongly citing the works of Paul of Tarsus.

In the Cantate Domino written in 1442 the Catholic Church came down on the side of banning circumcision with the statement that baptism had superseded circumcision.

The modern Catholic Church and all mainstream Protestants take a neutral approach to the current practice. Most scholars believe that the practice does not violate church moral law and the evidence suggesting health benefits in the prevention of disease make it even more acceptable. For instance, infant circumcision is practiced in Catholic hospitals in the U.S. Benedict XVI recently came down on the side of not circumcising saying not practicing it is one of the bedrocks of the gentile faith. However, he did not go so far as to condemn the practice.

So, if you are Jewish or Muslim, circumcision is part of your religion. If you are Christian (outside the of subsects mentioned) the stance is neutral towards the practice, but they in no way recognize circumcision as a religious necessity, in fact they quite strongly state it isn't necessary at all and view it as a personal choice.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
There's a passage in the OT, probably Leviticus, I forget, that says no one with a foreskin gets into Heaven.

Whatever that means to you....
I'm aware of that. I'm also under the impression though, that many of these rules which applied to Jews, do not apply to Christians via Paul. Circumcision being but one example. It would be a reason a Jew would cite for circ, not a Christian.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,137,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
1 corinthinians 7:1 For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. (1 7:19 ESV). Which verse did he condemn them?
Acts 15:7-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting