U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Reputation: 14658

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No one said anything about being traumatized. Something that happened "so long ago" resulted in something that I'm living with now, and will be living with for the rest of my life. Are you male?
While I understand a female has not been circumcised, I do know that every single male member of my rather large extended family has been circumcised. Strangley none of them think this is a big deal through which they have to spend the rest of their life dealing.

The reason I say this is not because I am pro-circumcision. Quite the opposite. But that it takes away credibility from your argument(s) such as they may be. Furthermore, if it a situation you continue, after all these years, to actively deal with, counseling might be of help for you.

My 8yo daughter lost the tip of her finger last year. She is already over it.

I am not trying to be insensitive. Just a bit concerned about how personally upset you seem to remain.

 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,364,272 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
No, I am female. Just seems to me that if you wake up every day, you are healthy and a functioning male adult, you should be happy with that and not be concerned about something that to me seems so trivial.
Bingo.

You're suggesting that I've allowed my circumcision to somehow inhibit my ability to live a happy life, and that's not what I'm saying. It's just a little upsetting to think about how such a decision to change my body was made without my approval.

But as you've shown, it isn't a big deal to some women because, hey, it's just a penis right? Please tell me you now realize how insensitive that sounds.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But as you've shown, it isn't a big deal to some women because, hey, it's just a penis right? Please tell me you now realize how insensitive that sounds.
Is it insensitive that I think the small bit of finger my daughter lost is trivial? It is not the location of the skin, it is the overall impact to the rest of her life. Thank god it was not the whole finger.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,364,272 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
While I understand a female has not been circumcised, I do know that every single male member of my rather large extended family has been circumcised. Strangley none of them think this is a big deal through which they have to spend the rest of their life dealing.

The reason I say this is not because I am pro-circumcision. Quite the opposite. But that it takes away credibility from your argument(s) such as they may be. Furthermore, if it a situation you continue, after all these years, to actively deal with, counseling might be of help for you.

My 8yo daughter lost the tip of her finger last year. She is already over it.

I am not trying to be insensitive. Just a bit concerned about how personally upset you seem to remain.
As I've already stated, being circumcised has not traumatized me. And I have not suggested that I speak for all circumcised men. Some don't care and some do.

How did your daughter lose the tip of her finger? By accident, I'm assuming. Someone did not make the decision for no good reason that she would have to live without the tip of her finger for the rest of her life. Not quite the same thing. If I somehow lost my foreskin through some sort of accident, then no one would be to blame.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,533,922 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is it insensitive that I think the small bit of finger my daughter lost is trivial? It is not the location of the skin, it is the overall impact to the rest of her life. Thank god it was not the whole finger.
Exactly this. I know of no person whose life was ruined or day to day activity was impaired due to a circ.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,364,272 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is it insensitive that I think the small bit of finger my daughter lost is trivial? It is not the location of the skin, it is the overall impact to the rest of her life. Thank god it was not the whole finger.
Living with a circumcised penis is upsetting enough that some men consider "reversing" the process:

Foreskin restoration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,364,272 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Exactly this. I know of no person whose life was ruined or day to day activity was impaired due to a circ.
You know that's not what I'm saying. Don't be ridiculous.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As I've already stated, being circumcised has not traumatized me. And I have not suggested that I speak for all circumcised men. Some don't care and some do.

How did your daughter lose the tip of her finger? By accident, I'm assuming. Someone did not make the decision for no good reason that she would have to live without the tip of her finger for the rest of her life. Not quite the same thing. If I somehow lost my foreskin through some sort of accident, then no one would be to blame.
What does it mean to you to "live with" this for "the rest of your life"? I would venture a guess that your parents thought they had a good reason. May your children judge you less harshly for your judgment failures of which I can GUARANTEE you, being human, you will have.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, CO
521 posts, read 693,939 times
Reputation: 1141
Ummm...Basic psychology tells us that nobody has memories earlier than around three years so it's biologically impossible for someone to be traumatized by something that happened to them as a newborn.

That's not me saying that. That's years and years of research saying it.

And FWIW I'm a male and am circumcised.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,364,272 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What does it mean to you to "live with" this for "the rest of your life"? I would venture a guess that your parents thought they had a good reason. May your children judge you less harshly for your judgment failures of which I can GUARANTEE you, being human, you will have.
How does this get to me harshly judging my mother? The first thing I said is that I don't resent her. I have a very loving relationship with my mother, who I consider my best friend. I'm simply saying that I wish she had not made such a decision. It happened decades ago and she was a young woman.

Though there are conflicting arguments, and no hard evidence to support the idea that sex is more pleasurable for men who are uncut, that theory is out there. While I'm 400% confident and proud of my body parts and sex for me is great, I can't help but imagine if I did lose some natural sensitivity.

So again, it hasn't traumatized me or ruined my life, but it does bother me from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top