U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And I found it odd that you and some of the others in this thread have somehow came to know just how many of the males around you were circ or uncirc. The average person has little to no knowledge of this fact concerning the men in their lives.
I don't want to shock you but people talk about it. I mean when you're a teenager and John Lennon's naked self is looking at you from the cover of a record album you start talking about it. (He wasn't. I've heard Paul was.)

It doesn't even concern having sex with a particular man. Women ask their friends when they have sons. Husbands and sons talk about what they see in the locker room. You see guys at the pool or on the beach. The suit slips and, Hello!

I've known ONE person who was tremendously upset about all of this. He was 14 and hated his mother because she hadn't had it done. He had it done. (She told me because she was worried about how much pain he'd have and if the insurance would cover it.)

I know about my brothers' status and we aren't exactly nudists.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,332,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't want to shock you but people talk about it. I mean when you're a teenager and John Lennon's naked self is looking at you from the cover of a record album you start talking about it. (He wasn't. I've heard Paul was.)

It doesn't even concern having sex with a particular man. Women ask their friends when they have sons. Husbands and sons talk about what they see in the locker room. You see guys at the pool or on the beach. The suit slips and, Hello!

I've known ONE person who was tremendously upset about all of this. He was 14 and hated his mother because she hadn't had it done. He had it done. (She told me because she was worried about how much pain he'd have and if the insurance would cover it.)

I know about my brothers' status and we aren't exactly nudists.
No offense, but your reality isn't any more real than mine. I've been on this earth quite a while, and in my experience, the average guy does not casually discuss whether or not he or any of the men around him are circumcised. And we certainly don't go around asking other dudes what their's looks like.

And before anyone suggests it, no I'm not a prude nor do I come from a family of prudes. In fact we have pretty open discussions. Just not invasive discussions

Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Quote:
No offense, but your reality isn't any more real than mine. I've been on this earth quite a while, and in my experience, the average guy does not casually discuss whether or not he or any of the men around him are circumcised. And we certainly don't go around asking other dudes what their's looks like.
Just sharing my reality. That's all any of us have.

In my reality guys take a peek at each other, mothers talk, photos are published, comments are made, historians note who was and who wasn't.

There are religious discussions. Discusions in "health" class. Discussions on internet boards. Talks with the doctor.

There's the Bible and Hemmingway and Jewish friends and... want me to continue?

And Twitter! You should follow some pro athletes. Boy, do they talk. I'm learning all sorts of things. Heck, I've got a defensive lineman on my favorite team who posted his naked self shower on Twitter.

BTW: I'm seeing definite cultural trends here. Don't suppose we have any anthropologists on the board who want to join our discussion?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-08-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,530,649 times
Quote:

In my reality guys take a peek at each other, mothers talk, photos are published, comments are made, historians note who was and who wasn't.

There are religious discussions. Discusions in "health" class. Discussions on internet boards. Talks with the doctor.

And Twitter! You should follow some pro athletes. Boy, do they talk. I'm learning all sorts of things. Heck, I've got a defensive lineman on my favorite team who posted his naked self shower on Twitter.

BTW: I'm seeing definite cultural trends here. Don't suppose we have any anthropologists on the board who want to join our discussion?
All of this.

I grew up as one of the guys, I stil have a lot of guy friends, there have been many discussions.

And if you think women don't talk? Well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:

All true, but this is not the same thing as casually discussing circumcision to the point that you would know what most of the men around have down there, let alone what they feel about it. So again, the average guy does not know what the other men around him look like.

Here's an interesting poll from right here on City Data.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...sion-poll.html

Around half of the men that voted said they were either circumcised and wish they weren't, or were uncircumcised and happy about it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,333,874 times
Personally I would guess that guys that have a problem with it have some kind of other issue going on.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would guess that guys that have a problem with it have some kind of other issue going on.
Why? Because you're okay with yours? That's not very enlightened.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,333,874 times
Quote:
Why? Because you're okay with yours? That's not very enlightened.
Why would it even come up? Are some guys actually sitting around thinking about why they were circumcised and how they feel about it? And if the answer to that is yes I'm guessing there is something else going on. Just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,547,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There is actually a small, but growing, group within the Jewish community who do not circumcise.
There is also a group of Messianic Jews, but that don't make it right.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,547,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think she's probably getting at the fact that in some cultures they also circumsize their daughters, which for some reason Americans find totally unnacceptable and cruel. Whereas most Americans still have no problem with the idea of circumsizing their sons.

Both the circumcision of males and the circumcision of females make sex less pleasurable for them later on, which goes back to its religious beginnings, so a lot of people wonder why one is deemed OK but the other not.
I am fine with male cir'c, but not female. They can not IMO be compared.

Female cir'c, generally is where they cut off the clit. That is not the same at all as a male cir'c. Cutting the hood would be the same though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting