Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You know we're all adults here, I've got to say the who eeww thing is quite silly. If that's the reason some of you elected to circ your kids then......
There were lost of reasons I did it but the main one was I would never want them to have to go through that when they got older. It was much simpler to do it when they were born.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I just found it interesting that with the release of the study that it helps prevent girls from catching hpv from their partners, and the fact that you have a daughter yourself, that you would still be against circumcision for your son.

Even though you just read a study that found it would help prevent him from spreading a disease that causes cervical cancer to his girlfriend/wife. And that by you having a daughter, if her partner is circumcized it would lessen her potential to catch hpv and possibly develop cervical cancer.

But you are still against circumcision.
Not sure why you are singling me out specifically when others have also responded that they would not or have not circumcised?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You know we're all adults here, I've got to say the who eeww thing is quite silly. If that's the reason some of you elected to circ your kids then......
I found it not attractive and saying eww is a completely valid response if all that skin turns you off. If you think sexual attraction is NOT a part of having sex with someone you are mistaken. You can fake it, or maybe it doesn't bother you, but I prefer them cut, and just like having blue eyes, or an athletic build, we all have preferences that turn us on.

Crooked is also one of those weird things, but a crooked one I can handle (ha ha get it?) but I just did not like the turtle neck. Nor did my friends to be honest. If we found out they were uncut we would make fun of them, and it lasted for years.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm confused after looking at the abstract to the study. The link in the OP says that sexual partners of circumcised men had a 28% lower chance of contracting HPV. Is that accurate? I fully admit to being awful at math and statistics but it just doesn't sound right after reading the abstract to the actual study.

Effect of circumcision of HIV-negative men on transmission of human papillomavirus to HIV-negative women: a randomised trial in Rakai, Uganda : The Lancet

The study shows that after 24 months, 27.8 percent of the steady partners of circumcised men had HPV infections, compared with 38.7 per cent of the partners of uncircumcised men.

20.7 infections per 100 people were found in the circumcised group and 26.9 infections per 100 people were found in the uncircumcised group.

Is that really a difference of 28% or are they just saying that it reduces HPV rates from 38% to 28% ?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I found it not attractive and saying eww is a completely valid response if all that skin turns you off. If you think sexual attraction is NOT a part of having sex with someone you are mistaken. You can fake it, or maybe it doesn't bother you, but I prefer them cut, and just like having blue eyes, or an athletic build, we all have preferences that turn us on.

Crooked is also one of those weird things, but a crooked one I can handle (ha ha get it?) but I just did not like the turtle neck. Nor did my friends to be honest. If we found out they were uncut we would make fun of them, and it lasted for years.
I've seen them both ways and didn't have an ewww reaction to the uncircumcised. I didn't find one more attractive then the other, just different. :shrug:

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I've seen them both ways and didn't have an ewww reaction to the uncircumcised. I didn't find one more attractive then the other, just different. :shrug:
Same. I also didn't think when it was "ready to go" that there was much of a difference between cut and uncut. It actually took me 3 times with someone to realize it was difference.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA....Taboo! Sorry I prefer a turtleneck over a crooked hooked one! I once dated this guy (may he rest in peace) who resembled a small version of Gonzo's nose. That scared me off!

As Mattie said and I will say I have come acrossed many and prefer me a turtleneck. When it came to us and our pregnancy, Mr. X said, if I have a turtleneck then Baby X has a turtleneck. I was for either or and I told Mr. X should Baby X later in life (God Forbid) need a circumcision it was on him to explain! But really for us it was a matter of personal choice.

Our Ob/gyn even talked us out of one because he said many people do it for cosmetic reasons or religious reasons, it doesn't matter whether you have a turtleneck or not you can still get STD's because you are not practicing safe sex. And he was adamant that men who are not cut have better sex lives. Mr. X agreed and was sold on it. I never did ask my Ob/gyn whether or not he was since he was really vocal about it.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
This study was supposedly done in Uganda. This alone makes me skeptical. Uganda has had a lot of positive change in its people's health in recent years. I honestly don't think circumcision statistics has had much to do with the HPV virus in women. I think that's just coincidental, really. I think it has more to do with the fact that more people are receiving better health care and in some cases, health care at all in Uganda. Also, more men and women in Uganda are receiving sex education. Whether a man is circumsized or not will not affect whether he carries disease or spreads disease or not. His sexual habits and personal hygiene habits - that's what will determine his health and therfore the health of his partners.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
This study was supposedly done in Uganda. This alone makes me skeptical. Uganda has had a lot of positive change in its people's health in recent years. I honestly don't think circumcision statistics has had much to do with the HPV virus in women. I think that's just coincidental, really. I think it has more to do with the fact that more people are receiving better health care and in some cases, health care at all in Uganda. Also, more men and women in Uganda are receiving sex education. Whether a man is circumsized or not will not affect whether he carries disease or spreads disease or not. His sexual habits and personal hygiene habits - that's what will determine his health and therfore the health of his partners.
I was also wondering about the differences in health care in Uganda. I wonder how often screening for HPV via paps is done. I also wonder about cultural differences. The study was done in couples who started out as HPV negative but later caught HPV. Were the partners faithful? If not, were they using condoms?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Why don't we do penis straightening plastic surgery so they are straighter if we are going for looks. For the HPV thing, why don't we just cut the whole thing off, then you have no chance. There are so many diseases out there, it seems that education might be the right path instead of hacking off body parts. I imagine in 30-50 years we will look back and wonder how we lived with a such a barbaric ritual through the 1900's. I think protecting yourself during sex will have a greater affect than the small percentages people are quoting about hpv protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting