Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,357,799 times

Advertisements

I always say extra meat for the extra beat.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,514 times
it is better for everyone's health - they found in africa that it reduces to a small degree the spread of hiv/aids for men but not for women - it is beneficial for women in it reduces the spread of cervical cancer and hpv to them - it is not only a jewish custom but its also a muslim custom -

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No offense, but your reality isn't any more real than mine. I've been on this earth quite a while, and in my experience, the average guy does not casually discuss whether or not he or any of the men around him are circumcised. And we certainly don't go around asking other dudes what their's looks like.

And before anyone suggests it, no I'm not a prude nor do I come from a family of prudes. In fact we have pretty open discussions. Just not invasive discussions
Your absolutely correct. I am older than dirt, and never in all my years of living did I ever have a discussion with male friends (or female friends for that matter) if we were cut or not, it just never came up. My cousins and sister doesn't know, it never came up.

So I agree, getting cut isn't the biggest of topics among males. My sons aren't cut and none of them ever had complaints or problems or anything for that matter on it.....

Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I am fine with male cir'c, but not female. They can not IMO be compared.

Female cir'c, generally is where they cut off the clit. That is not the same at all as a male cir'c. Cutting the hood would be the same though.

cutting off any part of the body is barbaric.

what were people thinking back then????/

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I am fine with male cir'c, but not female. They can not IMO be compared.

Female cir'c, generally is where they cut off the clit. That is not the same at all as a male cir'c. Cutting the hood would be the same though.
That's not correct. There's one procedure of Type I female circumcision that involves only removing the clitoral hood and possibly part of the labia minora. This is pretty much the same as male circumcision, so it's completely hypocritical to be okay with one and not the other.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Quote:
It's not as if I'm going into hospitals and snatching clamps out of the doctors' hands.

Like you, I have every right to express my opinion on the issue.
Wouldnt your time and energy be better spent trying to stop the mutilation of female genitalia in Africa? Especially with a user name like Nairobi? At least circumcision in the USA takes place in a sterile OR instead of a dusty,dank hut. Use your well intentioned zeal on something that actually needs fixed!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Wouldnt your time and energy be better spent trying to stop the mutilation of female genitalia in Africa? Especially with a user name like Nairobi? At least circumcision in the USA takes place in a sterile OR instead of a dusty,dank hut. Use your well intentioned zeal on something that actually needs fixed!
Africa has so many problems (FGM being the least of them) that no one person can make any difference. If I had the money, I'd love to go over there.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Your absolutely correct. I am older than dirt, and never in all my years of living did I ever have a discussion with male friends (or female friends for that matter) if we were cut or not, it just never came up. My cousins and sister doesn't know, it never came up.

So I agree, getting cut isn't the biggest of topics among males. My sons aren't cut and none of them ever had complaints or problems or anything for that matter on it.....
If it doesn't come up and you don't talk about it, how do you know they didnt/ aren't having problems because they are undone?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
That's not correct. There's one procedure of Type I female circumcision that involves only removing the clitoral hood and possibly part of the labia minora. This is pretty much the same as male circumcision, so it's completely hypocritical to be okay with one and not the other.
Are there any positive factual studies on health benefits for hood removal like there are w/circ? No? That's why we don't do it.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
Why is it called genital mutilation when it's done to girls and called circumcision when it's done to boys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.