U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 AM

15,688 posts, read 34,684,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
What's your motivation for wanting to get it done now, two years later?
I'm indifferent...but my wife suddenly thinks its a good idea.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 AM

419 posts, read 734,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Because I "got around", nothing beats firsthand knowledge. Only ran across 1 who was uncut and was grossed out enough to not go there again. It is something I asked about before we "went there" after that.
What was so gross? I'm wondering if maybe you chanced upon a guy who didn't practice good hygiene and just happened to be intact. I'd imagine that experience would be unpleasant, just like how guys might* be disgusted by a female partner who didn't take care of herself down there.

*Had to put the emphasis on "might" because we probably all know guys who would be eager to score sex, no matter how funky the girl.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
And yet half of the boys in our class are circumcised. So which is more accurate, my suburban city in a very educated part of the country? Or statistics that are stated as being not definitive because people do not report such things.
You can't get an accurate representation of the entire country based on one elementary school class.

You live in an area of the country where circumcision rates are lower.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
No one is circumsized or gets circumsized in Japan. Doctors won't even do it.

I'm still debating on to have it done to my son or not, but we gotta do it somewhere else besides Japan if we do. (Neither myself or my wife are Japanese).

My son is two years old at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm indifferent...but my wife suddenly thinks its a good idea.
I'd be very curious to know exactly why. Getting a boy circed at birth is one thing, but at 2.....whole different story. Is he having UTI's or some other health issue? Maybe pressure from other moms? We need more info.

You do realize they would do the procedure under general anesthetic, right?

I honestly can't think of a worse age to do it, they are just exploring their bodies, potty training. It's your decision, but I'm just sayin'.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Maybe pressure from other moms?
I doubt that's the case. They live in Japan.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I doubt that's the case. They live in Japan.
I know, I just wondered if she was surrounded by a group of American moms like in the military perhaps.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Quote:
And yet half of the boys in our class are circumcised. So which is more accurate, my suburban city in a very educated part of the country? Or statistics that are stated as being not definitive because people do not report such things. I will ask my obgyn if she reported to them.
Well, I'm in the south, and among my group of friends, only 2 boys (who happen to be brothers) are circumcised. Anecdotally speaking, that would mean that only around 10% of boys in this part of the country are circed. Realistically speaking, however, it just means that I hang out with a crunchy-ish crowd, and that we all happen to live in the same town.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM

425 posts, read 649,555 times
I find this study hard to believe because they currently have no penile testing for HPV. Here is what I found:

STD Facts - HPV and Men
Is there a test for HPV in men?

Currently, there is no test to find HPV in men. The only approved HPV tests on the market are not useful for screening for HPV-related cancers or genital warts in men.
  • Some doctors use anal Pap tests to screen for anal cancer in men, however, there is no routine screening recommended for anal cancer. Anal cancer screening cannot be recommended until more research is done on how best to screen for anal cancer and if screening can reduce the risk of anal cancer.
  • There is no approved test to find genital warts for men or women. However, most of the time, you can see genital warts. Some doctors may use a vinegar solution to help find flat warts—but this test can sometimes wrongly identify normal skin as a wart. If you think you may have genital warts, you should see a health care provider.
  • There is no test for men to check one’s overall “HPV status.” But HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now. REMEMBER: HPV is very common. Most men with HPV will never develop health problems from it. Finding out if you have HPV is not as important as finding out if you have the diseases that it can cause.
  • Screening tests are not available for penile cancer.
You can check for any abnormalities on your penis, *******, or around the anus. See your doctor if you find warts, blisters, sores, ulcers, white patches, or other abnormal areas on your penis—even if they do not hurt.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Quote:
Right and being squashed thru the birth canal didn't? Oh well no one remembers it.
Well, we don't really have much of a choice about the process of being born, huh? I suppose if we started all doing C-Sections, though.... but that means more pain for the mother. (It takes longer to recover from a C-Section than it does to recover from a normal, healthy, vaginal birth.)

Isn't it weird the things we do to our bodies and our kids bodies for the sake of vanity? Piercing ears, circumsizing penis's, plastic surgery, even getting fake fingernails can be painful. Fake tans = cancer and premature aging. Waxing the hair off our bodies? Yikes. Ever try a brazillion? Lordy lordy sakes alive! Plucking/waxing eyebrows, colored contact lenses (for some people that's no big deal, for others it dries their eyes out.)

Why does beauty or being socially acceptable have to be so painful? (And cost so much $$$?)

I wonder why we humans have such a hard time loving ourselves and accepting ourselves the way we are naturally.

It's really weird when you think about it.

I'll dye my hair until I'm prolly 50. I've had grey hair since I was 19. I tried to go for a long time without coloring over my grey hair, and just accepting it, but everytime I looked into the mirror I saw an old woman. I hated it. So, because of vanity and possibly immaturity I colored my hair to feel good about myself. It's so dumb, but it is what it is.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,883,961 times
It is mutilation, pure and simple. If a man decides to make that choice as an adult, that is fine but a baby should not be mutilated for no good reason (the arguments regarding STDs don't stand up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting