Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
Basically the myth that the lack of a foreskin prevents a STD infection comes from this - silly - reasoning:

Intercourse - > change of fluids - > if female partner is infected, then secretions will stick and last longer under the foreskin, thus increasing the chances of a contamination.
No foreskin - > no chance.

You do realize it's silly, right?

However, starting from exactly the same - ridiculous - reasoning:

Intercourse, yadda yadda - > finish - > GO WASH - > same ****.

The absence or presence of a skin fold will not protect you from STD. A condom might.

Edit: You know what's also silly, the desperation with which people cling to these nonexistent benefits. At least the Muslims and Jewish have the balls to say "This is how we roll, that's how we do it. Religion, tradition, whatever, eff off."
But no, some of us actually feel the need to convince the whole world - and perhaps themselves - that it's actually a salvation gesture hidden behind a knife, lol
Why do you think you can brush off the opposing point of view and insult those who have it but you are "revolted" when they do the same to you???

Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Billions of people disagree.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 AM

89 posts, read 175,024 times
Well so did billions about the Earth not being flat

Anyways. Indeed, to each his own, I sincerely apologize to any of which my opinion may have offended.
But I surely will not pretend I am unphased or agreeing to something that I personally find disturbing and useless, just for the sake of a conversation.

As for right or wrong, imoral or moral, these are arguments that are strictly related to one;s culture and raising.
In certain parts of this world, it is both right and moral to stone a female to death, for example. Perhaps not all, but surely a part of those people believe that such gesture is actually rightful and consolidating their society values.

What can we do? Nothing. Just hope they stay there

Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Go read the studies.

Answer my question, where are you from that they teach your comment that soap and water is all it takes to prevent stds like aids and hoc amongst others. I agree condoms are best but millions don't use them. I can't control what my children will do so why not give them better odds.

Quote:
Basically the myth that the lack of a foreskin prevents a STD infection comes from this - silly - reasoning:

Intercourse - > change of fluids - > if female partner is infected, then secretions will stick and last longer under the foreskin, thus increasing the chances of a contamination.
No foreskin - > no chance.

You do realize it's silly, right?

However, starting from exactly the same - ridiculous - reasoning:

Intercourse, yadda yadda - > finish - > GO WASH - > same ****.

The absence or presence of a skin fold will not protect you from STD. A condom might.

Edit: You know what's also silly, the desperation with which people cling to these nonexistent benefits. At least the Muslims and Jewish have the balls to say "This is how we roll, that's how we do it. Religion, tradition, whatever, eff off."
But no, some of us actually feel the need to convince the whole world - and perhaps themselves - that it's actually a salvation gesture hidden behind a knife, lol

Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I can't control what my children will do so why not give them better odds.
They can also get nail infections; make sure you remove their nails as well.
External and medium ear infections can occur and will occur actually quite often in a child. Better crop those ears soon too
Please do remember that feet fungus is incredibly common. You know what to do.

And last but not least: I did not state that water and soap prevent STD. I explained that it only prevents about just as much as circumcision. As in, close to not at all. I can't make myself clearer than that, Taboo.

Either my English is not fluent enough, either your comprehension abilities.

As for "the studies". The one linked by the OP has been reconfirmed as null... read some more updated ones I guess.

I also find it weird that societies that actually managed to implement and maintain a ban in dog ears and nail cropping in international competitions is quite fine about circumcision.
"My son? Yeh sure! Chop that off. What, Fluffy? NO! BARBARIANS!"

Meh.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
They can also get nail infections; make sure you remove their nails as well.
External and medium ear infections can occur and will occur actually quite often in a child. Better crop those ears soon too
Please do remember that feet fungus is incredibly common. You know what to do.

And last but not least: I did not state that water and soap prevent STD. I explained that it only prevents about just as much as circumcision. As in, close to not at all. I can't make myself clearer than that, Taboo.

Either my English is not fluent enough, either your comprehension abilities.

As for "the studies". The one linked by the OP has been reconfirmed as null... read some more updated ones I guess.

I also find it weird that societies that actually managed to implement and maintain a ban in dog ears and nail cropping in international competitions is quite fine about circumcision.
"My son? Yeh sure! Chop that off. What, Fluffy? NO! BARBARIANS!"

Meh.
This is an example of what I meant by vitriol and condemnations of others' decisions. Let the facts, not the opinions, speak for themselves. Live and let live.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM

I've been told to go read the studies, I've read them, that's what I came back with

But anyways. This will be my last contribution to this thread. The "oh my, my feelings got a booboo" card is way too old and I'd rather not get tagged in that game

Edit: but thanks everyone who kept repping my replies, haha What's with the rep system anyways? Never met anything similar. Interesting.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I can't control what my children will do so why not give them better odds.
Like castrate them?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
I've been told to go read the studies, I've read them, that's what I came back with

But anyways. This will be my last contribution to this thread. The "oh my, my feelings got a booboo" card is way too old and I'd rather not get tagged in that game

Edit: but thanks everyone who kept repping my replies, haha What's with the rep system anyways? Never met anything similar. Interesting.
I was commenting on your tone and choice of words when disagreeing with circumcision. Disagree away - but try to be civil while you're doing it. The facts don't support your view any more than they support mine.

I don't think you hurt anyone's feelings. It's not like there is a "right" universal answer here, despite some people believing so.

The rep system is a way for you to let a poster know you like something they said (and vice versa) - there's a little button in the bottom left corner "rate this post positively" or you can rep and leave a message using one of the buttons on the top right of a post.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
We had our boy circ'ed. We have a good friend whose parents didn't, he had it done as a teen, & he hated that they didn't do it. However, it's becoming more commonplace now, so, maybe those that don't won't be the 'only' one in the locker room in the next 10 or so years.

I'm all about choice. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting