Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
This thread and topic has been beaten to death (no pun intended). There is no reason to be judgmental of people who choose to circumcise or those who do not. The American Pediatric Association does not recommend routine circumcision at this time - they acknowledge both pros and cons and leave it to the discretion of the parents. To each their own and MYOB, people.
Of course you are right. My frustration with this topic comes from people who justify circumcising their sons based on their subjective perception that an uncircumcised penis is yuk, or ugly, or gross, or unhygienic. That in and of itself is not the problem, although not true, but passing on such attitudes to their children bothers me.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Not suggesting you should keep your opinion to yourself. Suggesting that anyone still posting on a thread this old would benefit from reading through all of it and seeing whether what they have to say adds anything at all to a topic that has been discussed to death.
I did read the thread, and still wanted my opinion heard, if that's alright.

No one can ever say they don't know how Nairobi feels about circumcision.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I did read the thread, and still wanted my opinion heard, if that's alright.

No one can ever say they don't know how Nairobi feels about circumcision.
Duly noted.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Of course you are right. My frustration with this topic comes from people who justify circumcising their sons based on their subjective perception that an uncircumcised penis is yuk, or ugly, or gross, or unhygienic. That in and of itself is not the problem, although not true, but passing on such attitudes to their children bothers me.
I can totally see that that would be frustrating! I tend to get frustrated when people spread misinformation or opinion like it was fact, as well. I also get frustrated that there's not a lot of civility in most of the posts on this topic and it tends to rapidly turn into an insult-fest every time the thread is resurrected.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
Oh most definitely, get it done.

My nephew whom wasn't circumcised had to have it done due to many infections!!!!
His pediatrician didn't tell him he had to CLEAN it?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Most American men are circumcised (somewhere around 80%) The 33% is based only on American baby boys. In 2006 the circumcision rate was 56%, in 2009 it was 33%. The rates have been steadily declining in the US.
Because Medicaid no longer covers it, so people of lower income cannot afford it. The percentage is much higher among middle/upper class, who have an actual choice.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I can totally see that that would be frustrating! I tend to get frustrated when people spread misinformation or opinion like it was fact, as well. I also get frustrated that there's not a lot of civility in most of the posts on this topic and it tends to rapidly turn into an insult-fest every time the thread is resurrected.
Just more fuel for the fire for Professional Obsessive Overbearing Parents.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Just more fuel for the fire for Professional Obsessive Overbearing Parents.
Did you know their acronym would be POOP?
And their umbrella organization: I Know How to Raise Your Kids Better Than You Do.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
I can assume that bait was for me, so I'll bite.

If someone chooses to be insulted by my comments then that is too bad, but I tell it like it is. Aside from a few rare cases in which it is strongly recommended, there is no real good reason to perform that surgery, and plenty of reasons why one shouldn't. People who choose to have it done to their boy usually do so for either cosmetic purposes (which is just twisted) or misinformation and half-truths told related to health concerns. This is fact.

I'm obviously passionate about this particular issue, so I will pull no punches. I have no problem with people making decisions for themselves, but I draw the line at that decision infringing upon the right of someone else, especially a child.

Last edited by Nairobi; 09-07-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Did you know their acronym would be POOP?

Quote:
And their umbrella organization: I Know How to Raise Your Kids Better Than You Do.
I thought it was My Obsessive Feelings Of Superiority? Same difference I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting