U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times

Advertisements

With one you can travel around the world.
With two you can't get out the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,040,033 times
I've done 3, with a 2 year age gap.
After twins, everything is easy! Having my daughter I got so much more sleep and was easier able to cope than the twins. If I could have chosen, I would have had a slightly bigger age gap- maybe three years or so, in order for the twinsto be more help and out of diapers, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

I wouldn't want to do 1, because of the length of time you have a baby/ toddler in the house, likely from your mid twenties to your fourties. It would also be difficult for them to play together/ for you to find activities you can all do together.

I wouldn't want triplets because of the risks to mom and baby during pregnancy and the stress of the first couple of years. Plus no hand-me-downs. But after the first couple of years, triplets may be nice.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

1,013 posts, read 4,065,212 times
My kids are 4 years apart. I was aiming for a 2 -3 year age gap, but I had some miscarriages and 4 years is the way things worked out. At first I worried this was too big of a gap, but its actually worked out really well. My 4 year old is completely potty trained, he can feed himself, entertain himself which makes it easier for me to care for his baby sister. I didn't have much jealousy either, he is old enough to feel like the big brother who gets to help and not so much like a baby who has been "replaced". And as someone else mentioned, they will miss each other in college so no paying for 2 colleges at once. I can only speak of my own experience, but I think things turned out for the best and our age gap is perfect for our family.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,531,080 times
Mine are 20 months apart and I wouldn't have it any other way. All of the stages of life they basically went through at the same time and they always had a playmate when they were little.

I never would have wanted to send one off to school and then start the whole process again but that is just me.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,327,999 times
The lady I take pilates from has triplets. She said it's very hard for them to go play with friends because no one wants to host all three at the same time. Which I think is kinda sad.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,433,355 times
Honestly, this REALLY depends on the age your kids are at any given time and in what context. It is MUCH easier to have newborn with the older child being in school because during the day it would be like having one child and when the older child is home, that child can help and is pretty independent. Now, having kids with that age separation has definite drawbacks. Think 3-4 years down the road when your older child is in activities and dragging a 3 year old along to everything is NOT fun. At this stage is is MUCH easier to have kids closer in age so they can participate in the same things/same times and even more so if you have 3 kids all doing different things.

Having triplets, for the first year or so, is VERY difficult-you only have 2 hands but 3 babies to hold. Once they are mobile and can play together, having multiples (within reason-2 or 3) is actually easier then having one child most of the time.

Our oldest was just shy of 3 when our twins were born and that wasn't a bad separation but if we had one child and then another 3 years later, that 6+ year spread would have been much more difficult.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The lady I take pilates from has triplets. She said it's very hard for them to go play with friends because no one wants to host all three at the same time. Which I think is kinda sad.
Why do they all 3 have to go at the same time? Can't one just go? Unless of course they are Siamese triplets.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,327,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why do they all 3 have to go at the same time? Can't one just go? Unless of course they are Siamese triplets.
Thats what I said! They are like 12 years old now and I wonder why they don't have separate friends.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Would like some opinions from people with experience.

I know it is very difficult to take care of even one child. But do things become more efficient if you are taking care of two children at once? Here are some examples. Which do you think is easier and most efficient? Assume no unforeseen complications with each child, and that you want to have 3 kids total:

1) Having child #1, then having child #2 when the first child is school age (4-6 years old). Then child #3 when child #2 gets to school age. Children will have age difference of 8-12 years.

2) Having child #1, then having child #2 ASAP, then child #3 ASAP, so they are all within 5 years of each other.

3) Having twins, and then another child ASAP.

4) Having triplets.

Thanks!
I would say 2, 3, or 4. The children would be close enough to entertain one another. And if you have to deal with diapers, it doesn't take but a few minutes more to change an additional one - just line them up.

Toddlers don't mind bathing together - in fact it's more fun.

Stretching out the years makes it more difficult. It's not easy to haul an older child around to activities, sports, friends' houses with an infant.

It's easier to do just about anything in batches.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I've done 3, with a 2 year age gap.
After twins, everything is easy! Having my daughter I got so much more sleep and was easier able to cope than the twins. If I could have chosen, I would have had a slightly bigger age gap- maybe three years or so, in order for the twinsto be more help and out of diapers, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

I wouldn't want to do 1, because of the length of time you have a baby/ toddler in the house, likely from your mid twenties to your fourties. It would also be difficult for them to play together/ for you to find activities you can all do together.

I wouldn't want triplets because of the risks to mom and baby during pregnancy and the stress of the first couple of years. Plus no hand-me-downs. But after the first couple of years, triplets may be nice.
I think it is more of a "first child" issue then having twins then a single. Our twins were easier then our oldest because we were more "seasoned" as parents .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting