Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM

279 posts, read 1,347,994 times

Advertisements

I used to always say how lucky I was to have had such a quiet, calm, baby who never cried unless she was hungry or sleepy. She started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks and was such a sweet baby to take care of. Now she is 8.5 months old and it feels like overnight she has turned into the biggest brat!!! She constantly wants to grab things, or pull things or drop things and when it's taken away, she cries her brains out until she gets the object back again!! I don't get it...where is that sweet quiet baby?

Some people have told me it could be teething and she is in some pain and doesn't know how to deal with it so she is crying a lot. I give her the Baby Orajel and it seems to helping a little but not a lot. Other people are just telling me "welcome to being a mother". Since this is my first, not sure if other parents had to deal with such a sudden change in their children's behavior at this age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
yeah, welcome indeed! Whiskey rubbed into the gums works better than orajel I find. Sounds like shes doing what every other kid of that age does.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
OH yes honey welcome to the club lol This is an age where they can crawl and the horizon is limitless (in their eyes anyway). Give her plenty to do with her hands and eyes. Oatmeal tubs filled with objects and things like that. We absolutely LOVED our exersaucer and it saved my wits on many days so you might want to try that. Make sure she has something to chew on for those little teeth too. Frozen wash clothes and such. Hang in there, you are gonna be fine

Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Welcome indeed..its normal..she is exploring..encourage it...she is just trying to enjoy life and the colors....as long as its safe....let her explor..put a nice comfy blankie on the ground and put some age appropriate colorful toys next the baby....and let her explore. Babies are not suppose to be quiet..enjoy it!
Let her coo and talk to you....you will remember these precious moments and look back on them.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
oh yeah, she sounds like she is right on target. All babies this age are exploring and learning. Make sure to babyproof everything because she's gonna be tugging, pulling, tasting, etc. everything. My little ones absoulutly loved the kitchen the most at this point. Everything harmful was put out of reach from little hands, and we got drawer locks, the lower cabinets, were paradise to the babies! Tupperwear, wonderful to pull out, toss, stack into each other, put back in the cabinet, pulled back out, over and over. Pots and pans, oh the joy. (Oh the NOISE!!lol) a wooden spoon and a couple of pans, life was great. One thing you might do too, anything smaller than your fist, put it up out of reach. Because chances are, it will go into your little ones mouth. Exersaucers are a WONDERFUL thing!! Jkmewright was right on! Ours saved our sanity too!! One of the best baby things we ever bought! Anyhow, try to enjoy this, Mom2gurls is right on as well, you will look back and remember these most precious moments. Personally, i miss em terribly!
oh, if you have family or trusted friends around, see if they will babysit for awhile here and there. Very important for parents to get a break now and again. You and your little one will be happier for it.
Good luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Have fun - until age 4!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshort View Post
I used to always say how lucky I was to have had such a quiet, calm, baby who never cried unless she was hungry or sleepy. She started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks and was such a sweet baby to take care of. Now she is 8.5 months old and it feels like overnight she has turned into the biggest brat!!! She constantly wants to grab things, or pull things or drop things and when it's taken away, she cries her brains out until she gets the object back again!! I don't get it...where is that sweet quiet baby?

Some people have told me it could be teething and she is in some pain and doesn't know how to deal with it so she is crying a lot. I give her the Baby Orajel and it seems to helping a little but not a lot. Other people are just telling me "welcome to being a mother". Since this is my first, not sure if other parents had to deal with such a sudden change in their children's behavior at this age.

Oh and please..dont call your kid a BRAT.. I am sure you didnt mean it on purpose..but she is way to young to be labeled..its like saying someone is a "dumb blonde"...Just enjoy her and be good role model and parent to her. If you start calling her brat..then others who dont even know will too...

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,798 times
First of all, she is not being a brat. She is exploring and testing. This is all normal. How you respond will determine if she does become a brat. She needs to be allowed to explore, safely, as well as having boundaries. Also, please do not rub whiskey on a babies gums unless you want to explain to the pediatrician how your baby got alchohol poisoning. I always preferred Motrin because it seemed to last longer. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain. If you are sure she is teething, and at 8.5 months she most likely is, just go ahead and give her motrin every 6-8 hrs. until the teeth break through. Babies want to touch, taste, smell everything. If you provide her with safe things to explore you will satisfy her curiousity and give yourself a bit of a break. I also used the exersaucer and felt it was great. Just remember to be patient and realize that she is not purposely trying to drive you crazy

Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 PM

279 posts, read 1,347,994 times
of course i didn't really mean she was a brat she is only 8.5 months old and I understand that she is exploring but the change in her behavior seems so unexpected and sudden. she is so vocal now and she seems to be developing a personality....i.e. gets mad and grunts loud when someone doesn't pick her up...it's actually quite humorous at times since she used to be SO quiet and not really do much before. But thanks for all the responses...it seems that she is acting just the way she is supposed to.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
My ped. advocated preventative tylenol during the really bad days of teething, just be careful not to overdo it. Also, if it's teething, take some washcloths put water on them, and freeze them and give them to her to chew on. It helps soothe the gums. Don't use too much orajel .. my ped said if you use too much, it can help toughen up the gums and make it harder for the teeth to break through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting