U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM

10,031 posts, read 10,801,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
You said that I said makeup was "immoral." I did not. Not once. Not ever. Not in a single post. Never.

I ACTUALLY said this:

"Walmart's marketing choices are interesting to me. The company takes a strong stand on music and movies, but it doesn't see the moral connection when it comes to encouraging young girls to pose as older than they are. And that, IMO, is what make-up at an early age does."

The post is still there. Feel free to go back and reread it. Where exactly is the word "immoral" in that post? Where is the phrase "makeup is immoral?" What I ACTUALLY said is that makeup at an early age encourages young girls to pose as older than they are. Do you see it up there? I said the company doesn't see the moral connection to...wait for it...encouraging young girls to pose as older than they are.

What I think is immoral and unethical is--as difficult as it may be to understand what with me using those exact words and all--encouraging young girls to pose as older than they are!

So, as it turns out you didn't comment on what I ACTUALLY said but rather on your misinterpretation of it.

It also turns out that you don't need to be a mind reader, but sadly, you do have to ACTUALLY read words.
So what do the words "moral connection" mean?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,069,293 times
I think it is nice and I would buy it if I had kids provided they wished to wear makeup.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,168,419 times
Anything other than lightly colored lipgloss is too much for tweens.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM

852 posts, read 678,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So what do the words "moral connection" mean?
Okay. The last word is yours. Have a good night.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 AM

10,031 posts, read 10,801,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Okay. The last word is yours. Have a good night.
I am not looking for the last word. If "moral connection" does not mean that makeup is immoral (for young girls) then what does it mean? If I misinterpreted what you wrote I would like to know what you actually meant by those words. Because I can't see how your words would mean anything else.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM

3,967 posts, read 3,137,440 times
I really don't see what the big deal is as long as she isn't looking like a hooker from westport a little makeup won't hurt a little girl.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont have a daughter, but if i did, i would try my best to keep her looking and acting like a child of her age for as long as i can. unfortunately that would probably make her quite unpopular, but whatever. also i see many mothers actually promoting their girls to become older faster so they (mom) can look cool and be freinds rather than be the parent.

Doubtful because she will put it on in school much like i did

Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I told my futur wife about this and she said they just opened a wal-mart in her town, of Shenyang, she will not go there and help a store promote the harming of young children by grown people because that is who would want a child of 8 to 12 years of age wearing this.
She is very upset and said that Americans should wake up and look around to find our better judgement.

by the way she is Chinese and feels very strongly about this type of thing.

In the rest of the world it's not considered that big of a deal and the rest of the world has far less problems then we do...i think saying it is harming them is a tad ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have to say that I really don't think make up is immoral.

I have to agree with you.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
It's not.

I don't get the big deal here? So what if they are marketing it. You are the parent, if you don't want your daughter wearing it, don't let them.

I think it is actually a halfway decent idea. Little girls love to play with makeup and that play stuff is awful and so bad for their skin. If this is made from better ingredients, it is better for them.

I didn't have a little girl but I can guarantee you I would have bought it for play, cheering, dance etc.....I would rather that than have her using my $25 mascara!

See you and i agree on something else once again . I think it's a problem when you allow your child to go all gooped up....but what is the harm of a a little girl wanting to look pretty or just play dress up? Though you could make cheaper mascara yourself LM...and it's a fun activity to do with your daughters....which you have none so i guess that really isn't an incentive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting