U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times

Advertisements

Walmart is launching a makeup line for 8-12 year old girls - supposedly to give them a lighter, more natural alternative to grown up makeup.

I think it's a truly awful idea. I can't think of any reason at all, whatsoever, that an 8 year old needs to wear makeup. Beyond playing with Mommy's lipstick during a dressup game - but buying it specifically to wear out? Or to school?

What on earth are we telling our prepubescent girls by having this stuff available and marketed to them as desirable? At that age, they are truly beautiful just as they are and why are we planting the seed that their appearance is not good enough without it? Not good enough for whom?

What are everybody's thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 AM

40 posts, read 105,788 times
Ummm...yeah...yet another reason Wal-Mart doesn't get my $$$

Seriously, though...I don't agree with this in the slightest. A young girl/young lady only needs a clean face and maybe a dab of carmex on the lips to keep them from getting chapped.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
I agree....that's horrible.

With my DD, we started allowing makeup in about 6th or 7th grade - and even then just lip gloss and a touch of brown mascara (she's blonde with light eyelashes)....

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
I don't see little girls wearing makeup on a daily basis and I don't think that is the purpose of the new line of makeup. I would think that it is being sold more to mothers so the little girls stay out of mommy's makeup. I have all boys so they don't play with my makeup but I think I would rather buy my little girl her own little girl makeup rather than having her play with mine. Especially if it is more suitable for little girls.

Lots of my son's friends like to play with putting on makeup but their parents don't let them wear it on an everyday basis.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Eubanks View Post
Ummm...yeah...yet another reason Wal-Mart doesn't get my $$$

Seriously, though...I don't agree with this in the slightest. A young girl/young lady only needs a clean face and maybe a dab of carmex on the lips to keep them from getting chapped.
me too! they don't get any of my $$ either. Ever.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,977,987 times
I agree with Momma bear. I think it's just "play" make-up. Of course there are those mothers out there that let young girls go out with make-up on, but they would do it even if there wasn't a "Tween" makeup line out there.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
My daughter is about to turn 8, and she is totally into makeup. In fact last Christmas she got a huge make-up set. She loves wearing it around the house, and if we are going somwhere special she will sometimes put on lip stick/gloss. Where we live, it's pretty much the norm in that age group. She will not wear it to school, but I see some girls at school that age wearing it. We had an elementary school dance at the weekend, and my daughter did not wear make-up, not because I told her she couldn't, she just didn't feel like it, but most of the girls did. In fact many had their hair and nails done, etc. I think that's excessive, and there's plenty of time to do that down the line, but whatever...

There is already a lot of makeup available for younger kids, but it is usually pretty poor quality. I would honestly rather have something available that is better quality marketed to that age group than what is available now. It's one of those "pick you battles" subjects I think.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,722,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't see little girls wearing makeup on a daily basis and I don't think that is the purpose of the new line of makeup. I would think that it is being sold more to mothers so the little girls stay out of mommy's makeup. I have all boys so they don't play with my makeup but I think I would rather buy my little girl her own little girl makeup rather than having her play with mine. Especially if it is more suitable for little girls.

Lots of my son's friends like to play with putting on makeup but their parents don't let them wear it on an everyday basis.
I wish that were the case, but I doubt it. It's not "toy" makeup. It's a full line of properly packaged products, including cleanser.

This is Walmart's PR statement - it's clearly meant to be worn, not just played with:

Quote:
To clarify and correct previous inaccurate reports, the geoGIRL line does not contain any anti-aging products and it is not marketed to eight-year-olds. The geoGIRL™ line was developed in partnership with Walmart customers, parents and educators to give parents a healthier, age-appropriate option for their tween girls who ask about wearing make-up and help parents teach their child healthy skin care. The decision of what age is appropriate to wear makeup rests solely with the parent. The line will be marketed to parents and targets a certain life stage as opposed to a certain age of girl so parents can make informed decisions whenever they feel it’s appropriate for their child to start wearing make-up.
Obviously the decision rests with the parents. But this is real makeup, and I question the need for an entire line of it marketed to girls this young.

I think the line "parents can make informed decisions whenever they feel it's appropriate for their child to start wearing makeup" speaks volumes.

Why do children need to be "wearing makeup"?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,272,211 times
Whatever makes them extra money I guess. But I thought makeup already existed for kids? I used to wear it, it's the really awful clown-like crap we used to wear playing dressup.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,246,067 times
i dont have a daughter, but if i did, i would try my best to keep her looking and acting like a child of her age for as long as i can. unfortunately that would probably make her quite unpopular, but whatever. also i see many mothers actually promoting their girls to become older faster so they (mom) can look cool and be freinds rather than be the parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting