U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,980,675 times

Advertisements

My friends daughter gets migranes if she doesn't eat on a regular schedule and sleep on a regular schedule. These things are huge!!

I was also thinking hormones. I'm glad you've made appointments for her. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,537,281 times
My son started to suffer with these at the age of 5 and it was horrible one for him and two for a Mom to not be able to do anything except a dark room, cold cloths, and pressure on his head.
He had many tests done and in the end after multiple medications we found a preventative medication that really did the trick.
He was put on adult mediations that within a couple of days he had no reflexes and couldn't even write his name and I wanted him off them immediately.
A friend of ours told us that what cured his was a drug called Verapamil. Apparently it was used for another purpose but worked for migraines as a preventative and we were amazed. We spoke to our pediatrician, he tried it and it worked.

It was not a permanent thing for him and he hasn't used it in years but today (he is 28) if he feels something coming on he just takes 3 Advil and that takes care of it.

My son in law has A-fib and we were telling him how the Verapamil worked for my son and he mentioned it to his heart doc and he has not had an incident in over 5 years. He would go into A-Fib a couple times a month and we almost lost him a couple of times.

Hope that helps.

Nothing worse than watching your kids suffer no matter the age.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,943,350 times
I have migraines also since I was 7, When I was in my late tweanties a doctor of mine sugested I take liquid B its helped a lot, instead of getting a migraine that can last a whole day to 3 days, 3 or four times a month I only get one a month now. I am so sorry she is going through this,

Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,804,327 times
I appreciate everyone's helpfullness and support on this thread it has helped this difficult time tremendously.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-07-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,804,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I have migraines also since I was 7, When I was in my late tweanties a doctor of mine sugested I take liquid B its helped a lot, instead of getting a migraine that can last a whole day to 3 days, 3 or four times a month I only get one a month now. I am so sorry she is going through this,
Thank you I appreciate your input. Do you know why liquid B? I have been planning on supplementing with B and its helpful to know it helped you!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Thank you I appreciate your input. Do you know why liquid B? I have been planning on supplementing with B and its helpful to know it helped you!
Careful with Bs! Talk to the doctor first about the types, brands and amounts. In fact talk with an expert before you give any "extra" vitamins, supplements, herbs, etc. (And I'm a big believer in supplements, but you have to be educated about their use. Willy-nilly use can cause problems.) Perhaps we have someone knowledgeable here on CD to expand on this?

Bs give ME migraines. Seriously.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
Also, this might add more confusion, or it might explain things - but be sure your daughter is experiencing migraines, specifically. There are all kinds of headaches, some of which are triggered by the same things, and some which "seem" like migraines, but aren't.

Cluster headaches are often confused with migraines because the pain is isolated to one part of the head, and is usually excruciating and can even be blinding. And yet, they're not migraines and migraine treatment might help, but won't make them go away or prevent them from coming.

For me, my migraines are partly hormonal, partly triggered by "common variety" headaches caused by a sudden drop in blood sugar. Any headache I get, if I leave it to fester, will become a migraine. PLUS I get them once a month.

I've been getting them since I first started menstruating, when I was 11. They stopped coming for several years, and they've returned in the past few months. I'm almost 50 so I have a few decades of experience with them. My mom also has Migraine Syndrome (which is a bump up from "someone who gets migraines sometimes").

If your daughter can *identify the onset* of the migraine, she can probably prevent the pain that goes along with it. Remember, a migraine doesn't necessarily even have to hurt; it is not only a headache, it is a variety of symptoms and not everyone gets each symptom. If she experiences a funky "aura" of light, before the pain comes, or if she feels suddenly woozy, or if there are -any- symptoms before the pain, that's when she needs to take the meds. Whatever meds she's taking. Take it -before- the pain comes, after the first symptoms. You can help her learn how to identify them.

Definitely eliminate caffeine and artificial sweeteners. Real sugar is better than Splenda, especially in people who have migraine troubles. You can -also- try an experiment - when she first notices she's about to get a full-on migraine, have her eat a small piece of semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Yes, this is feeding her caffeine. But some people respond to caffeine as a treatment, *especially* for people whose migraines are caused by caffeine. That is why doctors often prescribe Cafregot for migraines. It is ergotramine and caffeine combined.

Make sure she avoids artificial perfumes, and anything with Ylang Ylang (an aromatic flower; its essential oil is used in heavy floral perfumes and in some gourmet chocolates).

Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
My daughter had these, starting at around age 10. She also had skin problems, and heavy periods, when she was 13, so I put her on BC pills, and the migraines went away, along with the skin problems, and heavy periods. Just a thought. I think maybe it was the flucuating hormones, or something, because once it was evened out, she was fine. She also had ADHD, and was given medication for that as well.

Could it be related to braces? I felt so badly whenever I had to take my little ones in for tightening. I suffered as much as they did.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-07-2011 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,943,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I have no clue why it works for me it just does,another thing I found that helps a bit with the pain is pepermint oil mixed lotion or oliv oil, I put it on my temples and the back of my neck it does not stop the pain but it helps

Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,134 times
Oh yes, yes this is the worst thing we have ever gone through. Hannah is just 13 and has epilepsy. She also started her period this year and has been going through hell ever since. She had several migraines over the past year but this one has lasted since January 24 and nothing can stop it! She is disabled from school. The district has her enrolled in home hospital school but this past week we've had to cancel the teacher every time. Nothing helps, not triptans, NSAIDs, opiates. She vomits almost every day. We knock her out at night with ativan or fiorinal but lately that hasn't been strong enough to put her to sleep through the pain and we've been finding benadryl to be extremely helpful. She sees a pediatric neurologist. She's had MRI's, CT's all normal. Blood work normal. First EEG showed findings consistent with benign rolandic epilepsy but the next was normal, even though she had recently had several seizures around that time. We tried a trip to the ER one night but nothing killed the pain, not morphine, dilaudid, nothing. Sure she nodded out but the headache never resolved. I strongly suspected this was hormonal, since the headaches and even her seizures seemed to come around her cycle - a catamenial origin. She got a Depo provera shot, suggested by a gynecologist. That was about 10 days ago, but she was already at the beginning of her cycle, so that hasn't helped yet. She takes Topamax and neurontin. All this should be a great preventative treatment and hopefully it will soon kick in but meanwhile she's in constant misery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting