U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times

Advertisements

This goes along with something I posted in the nature/nuture thread. I had this in my head when I first saw this posted:

To the OP: Do you have any old people in your family? Any members of the Greatest Generation? Any old grandmas/grandpas in your neighborhood you can talk to?

Find one and sit down with them. Ask them how they were raised. Ask them how they raised their own children. Ask them what their deams were. Find out what mistakes they think they made with their kids. Find out what worked for them and what didn't.

They have what you seek. Knowledge. Wisdom. Experience. They went through hell and back. Poverty. War. Struggle. Success. Old Age.

And while you have them on a roll, ask them what they eat. They're all up in their late seventies and older now. Ask them what their parents fed them! Most of them probably drank whole milk and have a snort every now and then but they know more about nutrition and sensible eating than most so-called experts on the Food Channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM

532 posts, read 877,135 times
Amazon.com: Teen 2.0: Saving Our Children and Families from the Torment of Adolescence (9781884995590): Robert Epstein PhD: Books

Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,980,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This goes along with something I posted in the nature/nuture thread. I had this in my head when I first saw this posted:

To the OP: Do you have any old people in your family? Any members of the Greatest Generation? Any old grandmas/grandpas in your neighborhood you can talk to?

Find one and sit down with them. Ask them how they were raised. Ask them how they raised their own children. Ask them what their deams were. Find out what mistakes they think they made with their kids. Find out what worked for them and what didn't.

They have what you seek. Knowledge. Wisdom. Experience. They went through hell and back. Poverty. War. Struggle. Success. Old Age.

And while you have them on a roll, ask them what they eat. They're all up in their late seventies and older now. Ask them what their parents fed them! Most of them probably drank whole milk and have a snort every now and then but they know more about nutrition and sensible eating than most so-called experts on the Food Channel.
Thank you! My Grandparents talk a lot about how they were raised - or how they raised my parents. They were pretty strict!
I talk to my parents almost daily about parenting in general. They have some great advice!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

60 posts, read 39,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I'm the Mother of 2 girls - about to turn 12 & 14 and the stepmother of 13 y/o twins.

Looking for books that offer advice on parenting teens. Anyone have one they like?
I will swear by, "Redirecting Children's Behavoir".

I use the techniques at work too

Redirecting Children's Behavior by Kathryn J. Kvols - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I meet Bill Riedler once (wife and I) at a weekend seminor (he was the instructor for a different course) and I have to say, it was then I chose to take the RCB course (Redirecting Children's Behavoir). Not only will you learn something about your two daughters, you will learn something about yourself!
Bill died last year, big loss for us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting