U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 03:23 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times

Advertisements

we'd need to upgrade our cars to minivans to accomodate 3 children- is this accurate?

NO. MOST SEDANS HOLD 5 COMFORTABLY. YOU ALSO HAVE SUVS CROSSOVERS, FULL SIZED VANS, PICKUP TRUCKS. MANY SEDANS SEAT 6 PEOPLE. IT IS WHEN YOU GET TO FIVE KIDS THAT YOU MUST HAVE A MINIVAN, FULL SIZED VAN OR LARGE SUV. UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE THAT TRENDY SOCCER MOM WHO FITS IN IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY, THEN YOU NEED A MINIVAN OR A JEEP CHEROKEE.

Hotel room bookings could need upgraded with 3 kids for vacations...accurate?

DEPENDS ON YOU. WE USUALLY JUST RENT ONE ROOM AND SQUEEZE IN. WE DO NOT LIKE THE KIDS SLEEPING IN A SEPERATE HOTEL ROOM. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, GET A SUITE. EMBASSY SUITES IS A GOOD DEAL FOR A FAMILY. SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER NOT TO TELL THE HOTEL HOW MANY THOUGH.

People tell me though that it's usually easier to go from 2 to 3 kids than from 1 to 2....

NO. WHEN YOU GO TO THREE, YOU ARE OUTNUMBERED. EVERYTHING CHANGES. AT THAT POINT YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE 5 OR 6. SINCE YOU ARE ALREADY OUTNUMBERED IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. THE BIGGEST CHANGE IS FROM 2 KIDS TO 3 KIDS.

OF COURSE WE STARTED OUT WITH 2, SO WE DO NOT REALLY KNOW THE 1 TO 2 KIDS THING. HOWEVER I CAN TELL YOU THAT FROM 2 TO THREE WAS FAR BIGGER CHANGE THAN 3 TO 4 AND 4 TO 5. FRANKLY GOING FROM 2 TO 3 KIDS WAS BIGGER THAN 0 TO 2.

We are an internationally mixed family and do travel overseas annually so I'm a little concerned with the cost increase for that on airfare.

SMALL KIDS CAN SIT IN YOUR LAP. THEY WILL END UP THERE ANYWAY. TEENAGERS SHOULD BE STOWED WITH THE LUGGAGE. YOU CAN ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WITH RELATIVES. OR TRY TO GET THE PEOPLE YOU ARE VISTING TO PAY FOR THE KIDS AIRFARE.

Just checking in to hear from you all who have more than 2 what some of the concerns or practicality things are that I might be missing.

CLOTHING

DIAPERS

HEALTH INSURANCE

BICYCLES

VARIOUS MEMBERSHIPS.

SCHOOL OR CLUB SPORTS THAT YOU MUST ATTEND AND DRIVE TO.

FINDING SPACE IN A PEW AT CHURCH.

LATER:
MOVIES

CELL PHONES.

COLLEGE

SHOT GUNS

CARS

WEDDINGS

BAIL

WE HAD VERY LITTLE EXTRA EXPENSE UNTIL WE GOT TO ABOUT 12 -14 YEARS OLD. UNTIL THEN IT WAS PRETTYMUCH JUST DAYCARE AND RESTURUANTS. IF YOU EAT AT WENDY'S INSTEAD OF RED ROBIN, IT WORKS OUT ABOUT THE SAME. PEOPLE GAVE US CLOTHING, BICYCLES, TOYS. WE PRETTY MUCH PREPARED THE SAME AMOUNTS OF FOOD AT HOME, JUST HAD FEWER LEFTOVERS. INSURNACE WAS A PACKAGE FOR FAMILIES OF MORE THAN THREE PERSONS. rEALLY NOT MUCH INCREASED.

NOW IS DIFFERENT. WE HAVE 6 DRIVERS IN OUR HOUSEHOLD. WE GO THROUGH AT LEAST A GALLON OF MILK AND TWO BOXES OF CEREAL A DAY. IF I MAKE BACON FOR BREAKFAST WE USE UP A WHOLE POUND AND A HALF DOZEN EGGS. OUR CAR INSURANCE IS MORE THAN OUR MORGAGE. WE PAY OVER $600 PER MONTH IN CELL PHONE/COMPUTER WIRELESS CHARGES. GOING TO A MOVIE COSTS OVER $100 IF WE GET POPCORN. EAT AT MCDONALDS 35 - 45. EAT AT RED ROBIN $60-70. EAT AT APPLEBEES $100 PLUS. WE SPEND ABOUT $600 A YEAR ON SPORTING SUPPLIES AND MEMBERSHIPS AND OUR KIDS ARE NOT VERY ATHLETIC. WE SPEND ALMOST $200 PER MONTH ON VOICE/PIANO LESSONS.

IT GETS EXPENSIVE REALLY FAST AFTER THE EARLY YEARS. WE MAKE THE INCOME OF RICH PEOPLE AND LIVE LIKE POOR PEOOPLE, BUT IT IS WORTH IT. I CERTIANLY WOULD NTO GIVE ANY ONE OF THEM UP FOR ALL THE MOENY IN THE WORLD.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-11-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I would wait until the 4 year old is 6, and the 7 month old is out of diapers. It can drive you crazy to have two in diapers at the same time, in completely different stages. You don't mention if you have boys, girls, or one of each...The problem with three, is that two always gang up on one, so you are constantly having to deal with that...So, if you do three, you may as well do four...Two is easier than one, Four is easier than three.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Recipes: Buy an Amish cookbook. You're problem will be cutting the measurements and servings down to five people.

Being out-numbered and out-ganged by three kids: Make one child the sensitive child who is worried about Mom's feelings. Warning: This training starts in infancy.

Shot guns: Have all boys and let the other Dad worry about that particular expense.

Stowing teenagers in with the luggage: Check. Put them IN the luggage so you don't have to listen to them whine about leaving their girlfriends behind all the way to the airport. Warning: You will be over the weight limit. Worth every penny.

Eating out: Wendy's become a lavish treat. There is also a reason I have an affinity for cheap Mom and Pop strip mall joints. (Remember you're saving to pay all those overweight baggage fees.)

Room in the pew for the whole family: Find a pro-life, LDS, or Mennonite church. Or a Catholic church where they say the Latin Mass.

Clothing: Convince the youngest it's not "hand-me-down" it's vintage.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-11-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
LOL at the Latin Mass....tried to rep you but you know the story....DH's family is Catholic. He came from a "small" Catholic family ... 5 kids. When he grew up, it was not too unusual for families to have 8+ kids. He remembers Midnight Mass in Latin, lasting hours. Bitter cold in Iowa. More contemporary churches have quick Masses...DH used to be the master of getting to Mass late and leaving ("head fake") as soon as he received communion. Until he married me and I refused to leave early (disrespectful). In for a penny, in for a pound. Can you still find Latin Masses?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
We stopped at 2 for the very reasons you mentioned. Re air travel, someone mentioned above that little ones can sit on your lap... Only for the first 2 years, and those go by quick. Plus, the OP says they fly internationally. I don't want a kid on my lap for that long. At this point, I feel like having a 3rd would take away from the first 2. Many people do it and love it, but it isn't for me.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Recipes: Buy an Amish cookbook. You're problem will be cutting the measurements and servings down to five people.

Being out-numbered and out-ganged by three kids: Make one child the sensitive child who is worried about Mom's feelings. Warning: This training starts in infancy.

Shot guns: Have all boys and let the other Dad worry about that particular expense.

Stowing teenagers in with the luggage: Check. Put them IN the luggage so you don't have to listen to them whine about leaving their girlfriends behind all the way to the airport. Warning: You will be over the weight limit. Worth every penny.

Eating out: Wendy's become a lavish treat. There is also a reason I have an affinity for cheap Mom and Pop strip mall joints. (Remember you're saving to pay all those overweight baggage fees.)

Room in the pew for the whole family: Find a pro-life, LDS, or Mennonite church. Or a Catholic church where they say the Latin Mass.

Clothing: Convince the youngest it's not "hand-me-down" it's vintage.
Heck yes to the Latin Mass comment. We go to one, and it's great seeing large families. Now, many Hispanic churches also have large families.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL at the Latin Mass....tried to rep you but you know the story....DH's family is Catholic. He came from a "small" Catholic family ... 5 kids. When he grew up, it was not too unusual for families to have 8+ kids. He remembers Midnight Mass in Latin, lasting hours. Bitter cold in Iowa. More contemporary churches have quick Masses...DH used to be the master of getting to Mass late and leaving ("head fake") as soon as he received communion. Until he married me and I refused to leave early (disrespectful). In for a penny, in for a pound. Can you still find Latin Masses?
You can still find Latin Masses. Up until a few years ago it was extremely difficult because the bishop had to approve them. Most American bishops were extremely anti-Latin Mass. The current pope, however, stripped away that privilege of the bishop. Now any church can start a Latin Mass, and it's becoming slightly more common. Now, Midnight Mass is slightly longer at a Latin Mass, but Easter Vigil is much shorter at a Latin Mass. My husband will always ask to leave a non-Latin Mass early, but he never asks to leave a Latin Mass early.

It really is true, though, that a church with a Latin Mass will tend to be much more welcoming to larger families. However, only three kids won't really qualify as a large family. That starts at four for Catholics around here at least.

My parents never had a problem going from 2 to 3 as far as I know. Of course, they already had a minivan and a station wagon. They already had a three bedroom house. My sister and I had no problems sharing even as teenagers. We had no problem sharing beds in hotels. Shoot, my thirty-year-old sister and I will still share a bed at a hotel. We didn't ever fly anywhere, so that wasn't an issue. Since I was the youngest, I was always the one stuck on the cot when that became necessary. I was the one always stuck in the middle of something, and there were no complaints. We had a ball together as a family. All five of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or