U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM

9,342 posts, read 14,960,503 times
Did the pediatrician ask her to take the child to a dermatologist? If not, I would go to the pediatrician. He/she has seen it all, while the derm may not have a lot of expertise with infant issues. The biopsy may be unnecesary. (My money is on cradle cap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm looking online and can not find anything that is coming close to what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone on here has seen this or their baby has had it. My sisters baby (7 months) has tons of tiny light brown spots on her crown. She had the typical cradle cap back when but now she has these spots that resemble freckles more than anything else. I personally would not be concerned but she is. In the center they are clustered tighter together and the disperse as they go outward. The area is a pretty good size on her head but if they are permanent it would all totally be covered by hair someday. They do not have any indentions or bumps whatsoever. Her skin is smooth in this area. They don't hurt to the touch either. No bleeding or anything like that. She took her to a dermatoligist that said, "I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS" and now wants to have her put under and do a biopsy. I say get a second opinion and RUN from a supposed "professional" that has "never" seen anything like that ever and would get a second op before I put my baby under. I'm afraid of what damage this doc could do when he does the biopsy plus just not even knowing.

Has anyone seen this on another baby?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-30-2007, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 56,263 times
Default brown spots...baby

Hello:

Our daughter also has formed a few of these brown spots under her hair line. She is 11 months. Anyone know what this is yet? kedpayne4@yahoo.com

Unread 10-30-2007, 07:36 AM

559 posts, read 1,451,172 times
As a mom of 3 who are all grown, I can share that this is something I and all my friends dealt with a lot...it can be found on almost every baby's head and is called Cradle Cap. It is just a buildup of the natural oils in their skin and is harmless. The best way to get rid of it is to rub baby oil into their scalp, wait a little, and then gently scrub it off with a washcloth--easiest in the tub. To avoid it happening...daily washing their scalp with mild cleanser will keep it away.

Unread 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 56,227 times
Default tiny brown spots..

Hello I just ran across this site while googling "tiny brown freckles on babys head"

My daughter is now 9 months old and I have just discovered these as well. She has them here and there under her hair and I assume that they are freckles as well. My other daughter does not have this , sorry, DID not, shes 7 now..so Im getting kind of worried. Her ped says it just looks like freckles and to watch them without worry. I don't really trust docs too much on this..not just ONE anyway..

Really hoping these women or men come back and discuss what their docs have said...

Unread 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 55,771 times
My daughter also has these little "freckles" and shes 5 months old they came up around 4 months and after a couple of weeks I was getting REALLY worried so I took her to the pediatrician. NO WORRIES everyone its very mild cradle cap. Its usually when the rest of the mothers horamone is trying to come out of the childs body and it causes greasy oils which cause these "freckle clusters" on the scalp... Just use baby oil and a soft comb daily and it should go away quickly. Also wash with a mild baby soap daily. The Dr. said its nothing to worrie about though.

Unread 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM

172 posts, read 355,322 times
My bet would be cradle cap, too.

Unread 10-23-2008, 02:01 PM

8,310 posts, read 18,634,494 times
If it looks like this:

It's cradle cap.

Sometimes infants that get a bit of baby acne or have newborn rash will have little discolored spots where the acne was, but I'm thinking cradle cap.

Unread 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

17 posts, read 72,584 times
Default completely normal and healthy baby scalp

this is cradle cap. if you want it to go away use head and shoulders (once or twice, i would not use it all the time its just not necessary) or one of the baby shampoos offered specifically for cradle cap. it is present on perfectly healthy babies and is an effect of the fast reproduction capabilities of skin cells in babies which slows as we age, thus wrinkles and scars. the dead skin cells on the scalp simply can't shed fast enough and so they build up into a darker layer often covering the whole scalp or resembling flakes. you can see normal skin under neath, it is not necessary to bathe a baby every day, thats not even done in the nursery at the hospital. its nothing to worry about.

Unread 02-03-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 54,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm looking online and can not find anything that is coming close to what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone on here has seen this or their baby has had it. My sisters baby (7 months) has tons of tiny light brown spots on her crown. She had the typical cradle cap back when but now she has these spots that resemble freckles more than anything else. I personally would not be concerned but she is. In the center they are clustered tighter together and the disperse as they go outward. The area is a pretty good size on her head but if they are permanent it would all totally be covered by hair someday. They do not have any indentions or bumps whatsoever. Her skin is smooth in this area. They don't hurt to the touch either. No bleeding or anything like that. She took her to a dermatoligist that said, "I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS" and now wants to have her put under and do a biopsy. I say get a second opinion and RUN from a supposed "professional" that has "never" seen anything like that ever and would get a second op before I put my baby under. I'm afraid of what damage this doc could do when he does the biopsy plus just not even knowing.

Has anyone seen this on another baby?

Thanks
I found this article by typing in "8 month old has freckled scalp". Wondering what the result was for this child as this was originally posted in 2007. My granddaughter has the same MASS OF VERY SMOOTH, FLAT BROWN FRECKLING on her scalp. She has no dry patches or flaked skin. Her complexion is beautiful.
Doesn't look like cradle cap as I've seen it, and she has never been exposed directly to the sun. Just wondering what the outcome was or if anyone else has info.

Unread 03-06-2010, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 42,549 times
my daughter is 7 years old and we noticed little dark brown spots the size of a freckle spaced out an inch or so apart throughout her scalp, we scratched one with our finger nail and it seemed to go come off. her scalp is not flaky or dry, does anyone have any idea what this may be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting