Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times

Advertisements

So we're trying to be as eco friendly as possible, and we already got some Seventh Generation non-bleached diapers at the baby shower. I'm reading a lot of interesting stuff about the gDiaper option, and am wondering if anyone has any feedback on these. How do they compare to cloth diapers?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,024 times
I have never used Gdiapers and had considered it during my pregnancy. I went with SeventhGeneration instead and was completely pleased with it. I know others who have used GDiapers and were satisfied in comparison to cloth diapers. Yet others will be more adamant that cloth is the best way to go.

It truly depends on you and what is best for your child along with affordability. Can you afford to have a cloth diaper pail service collect and wash your diapers for you? Or do you have the extra time to clean the diapers yourselves when it comes to cloth? With Gdiapers can you afford the expense of the buying their refills? They are a bit pricey even with a sale.

All these options and I still went with Seventh Generation.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I have never used Gdiapers and had considered it during my pregnancy. I went with SeventhGeneration instead and was completely pleased with it. I know others who have used GDiapers and were satisfied in comparison to cloth diapers. Yet others will be more adamant that cloth is the best way to go.

It truly depends on you and what is best for your child along with affordability. Can you afford to have a cloth diaper pail service collect and wash your diapers for you? Or do you have the extra time to clean the diapers yourselves when it comes to cloth? With Gdiapers can you afford the expense of the buying their refills? They are a bit pricey even with a sale.

All these options and I still went with Seventh Generation.
Thanks. It's not completely about the cost for me. It's partially eco-friendly, partially reducing the chemicals my baby will be exposed to, and partially cost.

Diaper services from what I've read are not really any better as for as "eco-0friendly" goes than just using disposables. So in that case, the Seventh Generation disposables would clearly win.

As far as self-cleaning cloth diapers, I realize it's work, but the washing machine does most of the work. but i was wondering if the gDiapers were a better option.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Thanks. It's not completely about the cost for me. It's partially eco-friendly, partially reducing the chemicals my baby will be exposed to, and partially cost.

Diaper services from what I've read are not really any better as for as "eco-0friendly" goes than just using disposables. So in that case, the Seventh Generation disposables would clearly win.

As far as self-cleaning cloth diapers, I realize it's work, but the washing machine does most of the work. but i was wondering if the gDiapers were a better option.

If it is not a question of cost, then Gdiapers would be a better option. They are biodegradable and you have the option to flush, compost or toss. Seventh G doesn't offer that and it still goes off to a landfill where it still takes time to disinteregate. Where as Gdiapers you have more options and if flushing/tossing is not your thing then compost all the way.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
If it is not a question of cost, then Gdiapers would be a better option. They are biodegradable and you have the option to flush, compost or toss. Seventh G doesn't offer that and it still goes off to a landfill where it still takes time to disinteregate. Where as Gdiapers you have more options and if flushing/tossing is not your thing then compost all the way.
i thought you aren't supposed to compost human "waste"?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i thought you aren't supposed to compost human "waste"?
No you compost the wet ones. The poops is flushed. Sorry!

http://www.gdiapers.com/happy-planet/why-flushing-is-good (broken link)

Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Never used gdiapers or Seventh Generation, but regular cloth diapers are not that much work. I used them exclusively with my daughter until she was 20 months old or so... at that point, she was wetting through them more often and her poops were just getting gross.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
No you compost the wet ones. The poops is flushed. Sorry!

gDiapers - why flushing is good for the planet (http://www.gdiapers.com/happy-planet/why-flushing-is-good - broken link)
hahaha. no, i should have realized that!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
For each one of my children (i have 4, all grown now) I would go get flannel sheets and cut my own squares to be folded into diapers. 36 diapers was the perfect amount for the time that each child needed them, and once they were going on the potty, those old diapers made great shop rags.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Never used gdiapers or Seventh Generation, but regular cloth diapers are not that much work. I used them exclusively with my daughter until she was 20 months old or so... at that point, she was wetting through them more often and her poops were just getting gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
For each one of my children (i have 4, all grown now) I would go get flannel sheets and cut my own squares to be folded into diapers. 36 diapers was the perfect amount for the time that each child needed them, and once they were going on the potty, those old diapers made great shop rags.
I think its great that you both did cloth diapers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting