Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

As the parent of two girls, I had no problems, but my husband would take them out by himself sometimes and the issue arose. I believe he just stood outside the ladies room door, and if they hadn't come out in a reasonable time, he would have barged in, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
I don't care what other people think. I'm taking my boys into the ladies room with me.
Keep a jar of loose change to help pay for therapy down the road.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
I trust my 7 year old to use the bathroom alone. It's the adults that may harm him that I don't trust.

I will never be sorry that I was "too careful" when it came to this issue.
You will be when you've raised a fearful, neurotic child that thinks harm lurks around every corner.

I don't trust other adults either but I also realize that the chances of something horrific happening in a bathroom is really low. My child has a much higher risk of drowning or getting into a car accident than being attacked in a restroom.

It is unhealthy to obsess so much over this issue.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You will be when you've raised a fearful, neurotic child that thinks harm lurks around every corner.

I don't trust other adults either but I also realize that the chances of something horrific happening in a bathroom is really low. My child has a much higher risk of drowning or getting into a car accident than being attacked in a restroom.

It is unhealthy to obsess so much over this issue.
Google the words child molested in public bathroom and get back to me with your rather naive approach to this topic...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
not in NY, I wouldn't.....nor Brooklyn.
Honestly? If I lived in an area where I felt it wasn't even safe to use a public restroom, I'd think seriously about moving.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I'm always shocked when I see small children going into a public bathroom by themselves. Just the other day we were at a very family friendly chain restaurant for breakfast and seated right by the entrance to the bathroom. I see two little girls probably 7 or 8 go into the bathroom alone, whoever they were with was not seated within sight of the restroom. Not 30 seconds later I see a very creepy looking transgendered individual who was either still drunk or nursing a serious hangover go into the ladies restroom.

My "paranoid over protective helicopter parent" spidey senses kicked into over drive right away and I got up to go into the bathroom too. By the time I stood up the two girls were already rushing out of the bathroom and making a beeline back to their table. They weren't in there with him long enough for him to have done anything but by the looks on their faces I could tell they were freaked out by him.

**I want to add that I have nothing against transgendered people or anyone in the LGBT community in general but THIS individual was creepy**

I have no problems with boys in the ladies restroom at all, I mean c'mon it's not like we are in there stripping our clothes or anything there's really not much to see. I do not agree with girls in the men's room and I feel for dads who are out with thier young girls but I agree finding a normal looking mom and asking for help is probably thier best bet.

As for how old is too old? IMO when they are old enough to be there without me in the first place. For example, would I trust my son at the mall alone? Then he's old enough to go to the restroom their alone not before that. At some point will he find it embaressing? Probably. Do I give a c**p is he's embaressed? Nope. It's not my job to keep him from blushing it's my job to keep him safe.

Some on this thread have said that people need to loosen up there's not pedo's and murders lurking in every corner, well you know what? You're right, they're not everywhere but they sure as heck are concentrated where they can find an easy target and public restrooms are full of unaccompanied underage easy targets. And oddly enough I've always felt a little safer in overcrowded NYC were everyone has their guard up than I do out in the burbs where everyone acts like it's all good.

How do you know this person was transgendered?

What are rates of murder and pedophilia happening in public restrooms?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Google the words child molested in public bathroom and get back to me with your rather naive approach to this topic...
I know it happens. But lots of things happen in life. It is not healthy to be so overprotective. It's not healthy for the parent or the child.

And I've taught my kids NOT to listen to random adult strangers and to SCREAM if they are touched or approached. NO MATTER what the stranger says. Even if they say they will kill mommy or daddy, they are LYING.

You arm them with the truth and a healthy sense of self worth. You do not shelter them.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How do you know this person was transgendered?

What are rates of murder and pedophilia happening in public restrooms?
Family Services - Child Molestation Facts & Information (http://www.fstc.net/facts_info_childmolestation.htm - broken link)

Public restrooms are a favorite place of pedophiles...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Just googled what you told me to Lindsey. Yes, lots of stories. Now, google "child molestation by parents" or "child molestation by caregivers" or "child molestation by sports coaches" or "child molestation by church pastor" or "child molestation by teachers".

I have acknowledged that child molestation happens in public bathrooms. But again, lots of things in life happen. Can't stop living and can't shield kids all the time. Not healthy.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM

From your link:

Quote:
Most child molesters are in a position of trust and are often able to undermine the child's ability to accurately perceive the behavior as abusive. Most molesters are also able to convince other adults that it never happened or that the child misunderstood.
Quote:
Molesters also test and desensitize children by telling dirty jokes, talking about sexual things and engaging in non-sexual physical contact like back-rubs, wrestling, hugging and horseplay. This behavior generally starts long before the sexual touching starts and serves to normalize contact and trust. The increased physical relationship and intimate talk between the child and offender makes it easier for the offender to introduce sexual behavior into the relationship. If the child's parent has been present when some of the close physical contact or joking has occurred, it also makes the child think it must be ok.
Quote:
Don’t let young male children go into a men’s public restroom by themselves.
Young? What's young? 3? 6? 10? And where does it say "Public restrooms are a favorite place of pedophiles"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting