U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 PM

21,187 posts, read 5,520,333 times

Advertisements

That's an offer I would turn my back on and run away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 3,971,297 times
You're crazy for even entertaining the thought of doing this. RUN don't walk away from this.

Skiing is a dangerous sport you don't want to make yourself responsible for someone elses child up there let alone 3 of them at once. What are you going to do if two of them fall in completely different directions and you lose the third while helping the others?

Just the other day my son who skiis and his best friend who snow boards decided to switch equipment for a quick run on the bunny slope (they are 4 and 5yo). The other 3 parents were chatting so I went up there with them alone on the BUNNY SLOPE and I wanted to rip my hair out, they were both falling all over the place and I was struggling to help them both one more would have been a disaster.

You've never met these kids the mothers idea of Very Good Skiiers could be your definition of utter novices. She's already admitted to not being a good skiier so what does she know anyway? And she trusts a stranger from an online ad with the life of her children while doing an extreme sport without even knowing if YOU are a good enough skiier to help her kids, obviously this woman has poor judgement.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,908,909 times
Basically, you'd be a nanny. I'm not sure what a nanny's liablity would be in general, much less for skiing. I think that unless you were criminally negligent- throwing them off a ski lift, pushing them into a tree, being drunk- you'd be ok. I would check with a lawyer to be sure. I would expect to pay at least $20/hr/kid, plus lift ticket, transportation, and meals. For three kids, about $600/day, it would be lucrative, but a work out to be sure.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker
However, if the pay for the lift ticket+ride and I am only responsible for 1/2 day with them, plus 1/2 a day to go on my own, that could be more interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
And what happens with the kids the other half of the day? How old are they?
Exactly. ValueAddedWorker fails to realize that when the kids are done skiing, the ride is leaving.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM

926 posts, read 1,869,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I'd reply and find out more, such as how old the kids are, how good they are at skiing, and what exactly she wants you to do.
Well despite my reservations about the whole thing, especially for ensuring her kids remain safe (even handling 3 kids on the chairlift, if they squirm around, could be dangerous), I decided to email the parent a bunch of questions to further evaluate the situation. Hopefully she/he will realize that enrolling her kids in a ski school would make more sense and that's ultimately what I may suggest.

My email to her:

Thank you for your message and for offering a ride with your family. While I am not a certified ski instructor and posted the message on xxx with the goal of traveling with adults, your plan sounds like fun, as long as some conditions are met. Since looking after children on the slopes will require a great amount of responsibility, I would like to ask you several questions so that I better understand your and your children's needs.

1. How old are they?
2. What is your children's skiing ability and how long have they skied? (first time, beginner, intermediate, 5 years experience, etc.)
3. Do they have their own equipment or will they rent?
4. Have they ever been registered in a ski school in group lessons with a ski instructor?
5. Will there be another adult with me on the slopes (the mountain) with your children?
6. How long do you want me to ski with your children on the mountain? For 1-2 hours, all afternoon, or full day? Do you mind if I ski a few runs alone while you have lunch with them in the cafeteria, take a break, etc.?
7. Are you willing to offer some more compensation for what sounds like a temporary instructor/babysitting job? For example, pay for my lift ticket+equipment rental+offer round trip transportation? As you may know, registering 3 children in ski school lessons would probably cost a lot of money, but if I am skiing with them instead, you would save a lot.

Looking forward to your reply,

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,657,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What's weird is her children are beginners and she's a beginner, but she thinks her children can go on the mountain and she can't. Strange. I'd look for a different ride. Period.
Its fun to go skiing but the kids pick it up much quicker. The real embarrassment comes when the adult ski class is standing obediently in their line awaiting their turn to ski down some green run that in their opinion should be rated black when they hear a call. Look all around and finally look up as their kid (who has only been skiing for about 8 hrs in their entire life) resplendant with coloured streamer flys through the air above them, lands and continues down the valley at a gazillion miles an hour. Followed by half a dozen kids of similar age and ability.

I doubt though that I would swap a free ride to supervise someones kids though. What if they turn out to be bossy little brats or something.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM

926 posts, read 1,869,898 times
Four days later, no reply from the parent. I did find out that various ski hills offer initiation lessons including equipment rental and lift ticket for around $40-70 depending on the place and duration, so I'll be proposing that to the adults I'm taking in the carpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or