Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:52 PM

797 posts, read 238,555 times

Advertisements

Remember these old rubber numbers?

RUBBER PANTS! And we all know what that meant!

Sure to bring back a few memories for the 50 (and older) crowd!

What do you remember about old-fashioned cloth diapers, and how far back do you have to strain to remember?

• The 1960's?
  • The 1970's?
  • The 1980's?
  • Babysitting (back in the day)?
  • Raising you own children?
  • Baby siblings?
  • The pin pricks?
  • The rubber pants?
  • The stinky diaper pail?
  • The diaper rash inducing rubber pants?
  • Double diapering?
  • The plasticy rustling sound the rubber pants made at change-time?
  • The plasticy popping sound the rubber pants made when administering a spanking?
  • Dunking dirty diapers up and down in the toilet?
  • Hanging didies on the outdoor line?
  • The all too familiar penguin-like waddle caused by all of the bulk?
  • The folding?
  • How they sagged and drooped - especially when wet?
  • Holding the pins between pressed lips when readying the diaper for fastening?
  • The constant checking?
  • The constant changing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:22 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
I remember all that because I was almost 7 when my brother was born. That was in 1986. My mom would never let me help change him because she was afraid I'd accidentally poke him with the safety pin. I remember her dunking the poopy diapers in the toilet lol

I don't think those rubber pants are sold anywhere in stores nowdays. Maybe on eBay. lol

Most babies these days wear disposable diapers it seems. At least every baby I have cared for did.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 06-21-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I remember all that because I was almost 7 when my brother was born. That was in 1986. My mom would never let me help change him because she was afraid I'd accidentally poke him with the safety pin. I remember her dunking the poopy diapers in the toilet lol

I don't think those rubber pants are sold anywhere in stores nowdays. Maybe on eBay. lol

Most babies these days wear disposable diapers it seems. At least every baby I have cared for did.
Wrong. They are still sold.

https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...9e3d0085098bbd

Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
oh.... I guess they'll never go out of style lol. My brother wore the Gerber ones when he was a baby

Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:

All the above for me, too. I was the eldest of 5, and by the time baby sibling #3 was a toddler, I had badgered my mom to the point of her handing the safety pins over to me. She supervised me for a short-time (first few changes), then applied her rubber-stamp of approval to my license to change diapers all by myself. I would have been no more than age 8 or 9.

Started babysitting in and around the neighbourhood at age 10. No disposables, not-a one. Cloth diapers and rubber pants were the gold-standard of the day. That was the 1970's.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
oh.... I guess they'll never go out of style lol. My brother wore the Gerber ones when he was a baby
Don't remember what brand my siblings wore, but do remember it was always plain white rubber pants in our house.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Rubber pants sure have come a l-o-n-g way from when I used them. The pants I used were vinyl, so they ripped, tore, and got hard and crunchy after many washing and wearings, and they had a rubber, off-gassy smell to them.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:35 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
When my young'un was born 49 years ago, I only used disposable diapers for emergencies. They were awful. They leaked terribly and were not very absorbent. I'd tear the insides from one, fold it up and put it inside the one I'd put on her. That helped with the absorbency, but not the leaking.

Thank goodness they improved.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
When my young'un was born 49 years ago, I only used disposable diapers for emergencies. They were awful. They leaked terribly and were not very absorbent. I'd tear the insides from one, fold it up and put it inside the one I'd put on her. That helped with the absorbency, but not the leaking.

Thank goodness they improved.
Though my memory of those awful, early disposable diapers is vague, I do remember they had no elasticized gathers, the tapes ripped the plastic outer waterproof backing if you pulled one open to check the diaper for wetness, and the padding shifted.

One family I babysat for late into my high school years used a combination of both cloth and disposable diapers, and on evenings when I sat and the baby was in disposables, it wasn't unheard of for me to pin the baby's disposable like a cloth diaper, because even the slightest dusting of baby powder landing on the sticky tapes rendered them useless.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:45 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Just seven years ago I was able to buy the plastic pants at the grocery store.

My mom ‘recycled’ cloth diapers & even bought new ones for my sister & I to wear around our necks, fastened with a diaper pin (had to have the yellow ducks on them) when we were sick (I had chronic strep-throat as a kid).

She was convinced it helped us get well faster.

My MIL gave me a gift of a diaper service after my first set of twins in 1994. They were a pain but they worked better because they were preemies & you could make them fit better.

I was glad that by the time my youngest was born in 2003, the disposable diapers had been fixed to not leak those gel balls all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting