U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,146,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Nobody hates grocery shopping more than me and with adopted kids only 4 months apart, it was really difficult.

But I learned early on- with our first kids- to use grocery shopping as learning experiences.

They learned how to act in public, how to keep their hands to themselves, how not to beg for food we don't normally buy, how to read, how to comparison shop, how to make a grocery list, etc. And now that they are 8 I've started teaching them about advertising, marketing and product placement. Today they are quite helpful in the grocery store cause I can send them - together- off to get something I might have overlooked. They are also measuring and weighing produce.

Grocery stores can be great little schools. Having TV on the grocery cart would be such a dis service to kids and parents as even the youngest kids can benefit from learning experiences in the grocery store.
I agree. Grocery shopping can be a great learning experience.

Even if we don't allow our own kids to use the carts there are parents who will use them every time. As mimimomx3 mentioned earlier, we're raising a nation of catatonic children who need to be entertained at all times rather then interacting, learning about and actively engaging in the real world surrounding them. You already see adults out and about who can't go anywhere without having their cell phone glued to their ear. I see trends like this contributing to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,937,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
A whole lot of this. Who cares where they put tv's? It is your job as a parent to say no. If the word no invokes a meltdown, that is on you.
tried to rep you but was told to spread it around, so considered yourself, repped. I cannot for the life of me understand why it is some parents have such a hard time saying "NO", it won't hurt their child and in the long run may even benefit them.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,588,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | High-tech grocery carts have movie screens

I hope that I don't see these in my local grocery stores. I'm not anti-TV or movies for kids but this just takes things too far.
Wow. That's pathetic and disgusting. Catering to below the lowest common denominator.

Am I the only one who is having visions of the super fat people drinking their meals while sitting in a chair glued to tv screens ala Wall-e?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
I know I'm going to sound like an old here, but when I was a kid, my mom kept us in line in the grocery store by carrying a wooden spoon in her purse. How far we've come!

I've used the car cart, but only at times when the grocery store was not busy. My daughter asked, but she never had a tantrum when I said no. My girls haven't had tantrums since they were about two, so that's a problem that I don't really have any connection to.

I wouldn't use the tv cart with my kids, and I think there are too many tvs in our lives to begin with. Restaurants, for example. I won't take my family out to dinner anywhere that has tvs visible from every angle. I want to talk to my children and husband, not watch them stare at Sponge Bob. But if other people want to raise zombie children, oh well. It reminds me of the Halloween movie from the 80s where the children all wore the masks and watched the television and then bugs crawled out of their heads. Does anyone else remember that?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,531,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
tried to rep you but was told to spread it around, so considered yourself, repped. I cannot for the life of me understand why it is some parents have such a hard time saying "NO", it won't hurt their child and in the long run may even benefit them.
Thanks I don't get it either. Every single time we went to a store, we had the same discussion in the car. Don't ask for anything, you aren't getting anything etc.....I can't remember a single whine or meltdown at a store because they wanted something. They already knew the answer was no.

Sure there were times when they got a small toy or candy bar, but they were few and far between and they weren't to reward good behavior but because I wanted to do it. I have always been a firm believer that you don't get rewarded for doing something you are supposed to do. You are supposed to act correctly and use good manners, not do it because that nerf gun is awesome.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
TVs in carts for the kiddies? Absolutely! Mom is walking around the store yapping into her cell phone loudly enough that everyone in the store is hearing all about her prolapsed uterus. I say give the kids something they will enjoy to help pass the time.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,248,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know why everyone is making a big deal. The grocery store isnt' forcing you to use this version of cart. They still have the old fashioned kind with the folding seat. I never pushed one of those weird plastic car carts around. Parents either fall for this crap or they don't. There's no reaon to get in an uproar about it.
I actually agree with you.
After awhile, the constant "how society does my children wrong" gets a little unnerving.
Deal with it.
My kids ALWAYS want to go in the 30foot gigantic germ infested puke infested car shopping carts. It's quite simple: "Nope"
Our major chain here has a Kids Zone where you can drop the kids off & they can play w/ toys, watch tv or play the computer. It's generally packed.
I've never used it w/ my kids but also haven't ruled it out completely.

You either use it or not. Not sure what the uproar is about for everyone elses kids are not yours

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
A whole lot of this. Who cares where they put tv's? It is your job as a parent to say no. If the word no invokes a meltdown, that is on you.
Yes it's your job as a parent to say no. And one frequently does. Just on it's own, saying no to a TV in a cart would be a non issue.

But I would say that in these times - parents have to say no 50 times more a day to 50 times more things than parents of say, 20 years ago.

I don't want to have to say "no" all the time.

It hardly ever invokes a meltdown. And it's not just on "me". Outside influences on kids are stronger than ever and they aren't going to lessen up anytime soon.

So I do care what they put in carts, what they market to kids and what they sell at Walmart. Because I'm going to be sick and tired of saying "no" by the time my kid's 18.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,724,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes it's your job as a parent to say no. And one frequently does. Just on it's own, saying no to a TV in a cart would be a non issue.

But I would say that in these times - parents have to say no 50 times more a day to 50 times more things than parents of say, 20 years ago.

I don't want to have to say "no" all the time.

It hardly ever invokes a meltdown. And it's not just on "me". Outside influences on kids are stronger than ever and they aren't going to lessen up anytime soon.

So I do care what they put in carts, what they market to kids and what they sell at Walmart. Because I'm going to be sick and tired of saying "no" by the time my kid's 18.
Bravo!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,146,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I don't think most responsible parent have a hard time saying "no" but most of us who have had 2 or 3 year olds know that 2 and 3 year olds generally lack impulse control and are unable to reason. They want what they want and don't always respond so well to the word "no" when they see something so tempting. The parent can and and will still say "no" but what I see happening is more screaming in the stores among this particular age group when parents say "no" and more annoyed customers and parents who have to deal with a screaming child when all they want to do is get a gallon of milk and some veggies without letting their child space out to the latest over commercialized Disney film.

Quote:
To many times I go to the store and hear some kid screaming, Mom repeatedly telling said child "stop it right now" or "no" and in those instances please find something to amuse your child, and if that just happens to be a TV all the better for me.
So on one hand you think that parents should just say "no" if they don't like it but if their kid acts up in respnse to that (which many kids will do simply to their age and developmental stage) the parent whould should just give in and let them watch the movie so you don't have to hear about it.

Last edited by Dorthy; 02-16-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or