U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,985,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah but we're talking about Billy Ray Cyrus here - who is in the business and is perfectly well aware of it's pitfalls.

What I find the most disturbing, is that he's now giving interviews in the press where he's lamenting the demise (as he sees it) of his child.

If he was worried about her more than the publicity, he'd be dealing with this in private and keeping the press out of it. She must be mortified. I actually don't think she's doing that badly, it's him that's the worry. He allowed her to grow up in the limelight and now he's embarrassing her on top of it. He needs to **** and deal with his family without making a spectacle of them while doing it.

ETA: I guess that acronym is not allowed. Suffice to say, I meant keep quiet.
Yes, but Dew and another poster were talking about normal parents. Billy Ray should have known what the business is like. Maybe he assumed it would be different for a kid? I doubt it, but I don't know. He didn't do much TV that I know of, so maybe he didn't think that through? I doubt it.

To a previous poster, yes he was on the show. He played her dad. So, he must have made some money because of her. I think the statement that he didn't make a dime off her meant that he didn't take any of the money she earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
To be fair, though, you and finster have inside knowledge about the business. Most parents don't know just how horrible it is and would love for their kids to be in it.

When I think of child stars gone bad I usually think of Hobie from Baywatch. It seems weird since that was really his only role, but I used to love that show and him. The reason he was forced off the show was due to his heroin use. He started marijuana at a very young age and moved on. Eventually, the show the kicked him off. He blamed David Hasselhoff saying that he should have been a better father figure. This was before it came out that David was a raving drunk.
I have no more knowledge about the business than anyone else who has access to magazines and such. I wouldn't put my children into that business.

I looked into it for my older son after a friend of mine who was a talent agent/photographer suggested it but I didn't want to invest all of that time into it. Plus it just didn't "feel right" to me to put my then baby to work. JMO

Last edited by Magritte25; 02-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: ETA "suggested it" in second paragraph

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Do you guys feel the same way about Martin Sheen as you do about Michael Lohan and Billy Ray Cyrus? He has publicly decried his son Charlie's lifestyle and drug use. He has even gone so far as to "disinherit" him publicly.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you guys feel the same way about Martin Sheen as you do about Michael Lohan and Billy Ray Cyrus? He has publicly decried his son Charlie's lifestyle and drug use. He has even gone so far as to "disinherit" him publicly.
From what I understand Martin Sheen is hard at work behind the scenes trying to get Charlie help. He always has. He only makes occasional statements to the public. He's not the publicity hound Michael Lohan is. But he is a very concerned father.

Re the money: There are VERY strict laws in the state of CA that determines how child performers are paid. It's called the Coogan Law. Basically it gives Miley 100% of her earnings. Billy Ray cannot skim any off the top to buy himself a new house. There is also a thing called a Coogan Account. 15% of the money Miley makes is taken off the top and put into her Coogan Account which is held for her in trust. (This is because so many child stars blew every penny they made.)

Miley can give Billy Ray money if she so desires. She also must pay for things like her publicist, stylisist and dog walker. (Unless she was smart enough to put things like her dog walker in her contract, which I doubt.)

Billy Ray made money because he was a performer on the show. Just as the grips and the script writers and everyone else employed by the show made money. If he's saying, "I never made a dime off Miley" it's because the law says he CAN'T. Anyone who is in the business probably rolled their eyes when they heard this.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-18-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,909,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I haven't read or seen anything other than snippets about this, however I think that what he is really saying is that, in hindsight, he wishes that his family had not taken this route. It's just like so many other families who say...if I had only known the outcome, I might have made different choices.

It doesn't really matter that they are celebrities or how much money they may or may not have made, they are just like the rest of us sometimes admitting we made mistakes that changed the trajectory of our lives in a way we wish it hadn't.
He's saying that Disney cut him out of the parenting process and that they are to blame for all the pole dancing and topless covers and bong shots. Never mind that he was first to comment after every incident defending her to high heaven.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
oh, and lets not forget about Madonnas daughter, i am sure will will see her at some point in our lives....

but I think Madonna is too smart to let anything happen to her kids..
Madonna smart? I think as her looks fade and her ability to wiggle and shake her stuff on stage subsides, she will be bringing out the kids to bring in more money.

Madonna will do anything for money.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
He's saying that Disney cut him out of the parenting process and that they are to blame for all the pole dancing and topless covers and bong shots. Never mind that he was first to comment after every incident defending her to high heaven.
Disney-made child stars tend to do worse than others. All the Disney-made child stars of late seem to end up drug addicts and very promiscuous.

I think it's because they aren't especially talented, they start out cute and extroverted which brings them fame but as the cuteness fades away, their talent alone won't carry them, they have to keep publicity going by their stunts and partying lifestyles or they become nobodies.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,198,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They are out there. You just don't hear about them. The Van Patten family comes to mind immediately. They do an enormous amount of charity work (a lot of it with disabled vets) no one knows about. Dick and his wife were in the business. They raised sons in the business who are themselves raising families. They keep their noses clean and don't make the National Enquirer.

Mark Harmon grew up with two very famous parents and has been famous since he was in college. He's related by marriage to the Nelson family (of 50s TV fame) and he married an actress, Pam Dawber, and they have sons no one ever hears about. They kept them out of the spotlight and let them grow up normally.

The Cyrus family sold their souls to Disney. Which is a studio, not a parent. I don't think Billy Ray every understood that. The studios are interested in making money. Billy Ray could have said, "No" but he fell into the trap of seeing only the dollar signs and the fame. (Had Miley worked for Walt in the 50s and 60s, her story would probably be very different.)
Walt is probably doing flips, he would die all over again seeing what Disney has become

Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,412,005 times
I don't really get what is so bad about Miley. She's made some bad decisions.. she's certainly not the best role model for young girls now (with some of her outfits, the pole dancing, and the salvia smoking). But I know a lot of young adults who have done much worse and aren't affected by the pressures of Hollywood. It's not like she's in rehab for heroin or something.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM

532 posts, read 876,148 times
I have always wondered why more underage entertainment celebrities do not pursue legal emancipation, since they clearly possess the financial means to do so. I would suppose that it is related to the fact that many, and perhaps most, need to preserve a childish and immature public image, and not be perceived as poor role models for youth by essentially bucking their parents' authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting