U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,751,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have a BA in liberal arts from a Top 50 University. My parents paid half of my education, I paid for the second half via loans & working through college.

I work in corporate retail as a Senior Buyer. Retail does not pay the same as being a hedge fund manager or big law attorney or a surgeon....but I'm good a it and I love my work. I hit the 6-figure mark at 28- figure in 2 years of no merit increase due to the recession and very low/no bonus for fiscal 2008 and 2009 and I think I've done quite well financially for my field.
sounds pretty good to me! congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM

21,148 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
She is, but I don't feel that all kids are cut out for college anyway. Some would be better served by going to vocational school and learning a trade.
I agree. College is not for everyone. Even everyone who is "smart"....There has become this whole concept that college is a necessity or that the only reason NOT to go to college is if you are not smart enough (I also see that attitude about community colleges unfortunately) or driven enough. What about those smart people who just are interested in doing something else? There are jobs that a person can train for, do well at and live very happily, that do not require going to college. They do require training of some sort but not necessarily college.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM

12,542 posts, read 17,751,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree. College is not for everyone. Even everyone who is "smart"....There has become this whole concept that college is a necessity or that the only reason NOT to go to college is if you are not smart enough (I also see that attitude about community colleges unfortunately) or driven enough. What about those smart people who just are interested in doing something else? There are jobs that a person can train for, do well at and live very happily, that do not require going to college. They do require training of some sort but not necessarily college.
while this is true, you're limiting yourself to just those jobs. it may work out for you, but you might want a degree of some sort to fall back on, if you can afford to get it. but you're absolutely right, it's not for everyone. a mechanic doesn't need to go to college. but what happens if the mechanic gets hurt, and can no longer do that job? maybe go to college at that point, or maybe get a fall back degree early on. i don't know which is the right answer personally.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
while this is true, you're limiting yourself to just those jobs. it may work out for you, but you might want a degree of some sort to fall back on, if you can afford to get it. but you're absolutely right, it's not for everyone. a mechanic doesn't need to go to college. but what happens if the mechanic gets hurt, and can no longer do that job? maybe go to college at that point, or maybe get a fall back degree early on. i don't know which is the right answer personally.
What happens when a stockbrocker loses his job? Honestly, in this economy, a mechanic's job might just be safer than lots of more white collar jobs that are being outsourced. Can't really outsource a mechanic . What happens when any person has a debilitating accident? Or goes blind? Can't really continue to be an interior designer or architect if you can't see....college is no guarantee that there will always be a job or that you will always be able to do it.

Also (to stick with your example) there are many different things a mechanic can do - they don't just work on cars. Also, just like anyone else, who's to say if you're a mechanic that's "all" you can do anymore than if you're a stockbroker that's "all" you can do?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM

24,738 posts, read 59,687,302 times
Why pay for my kids college education?

A: So they can pay for my retirment!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
We won't be paying for our son to attend college. If he wants to further his education after high school he can get grants, scholarships or apply for the service. No one paid for my education past high school, nor did my husband have anyone pay for his. He will appreciate his education more if he pays for it himself, if he decides he wants to go to college
Good luck with those two. You'll have to fill out a FAFSA to qualify for any need based financial aid. They calculate an EFC (expected family contribution). Unless you are nearly destitute, you will not be eligible for any need-based grants, just loans and on-campus jobs. Scholarships are less picky about financial need, but you're competing with students of equal or greater ability than yours (your kid's). Many public colleges do not give out much fin. aid at all for in-state students; they seem to feel the discount you get for tuition is scholarship enough. See the education forum for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, I agree college is not for everyone, however, I think everyone can benefit from attending college. Most vocation programs are through the community colleges these days; a lot of them grant an Associate's degree as well as the vocational certification. Some people are attracted to a profession that does not require a four year committment (or more) in college, only to find out that there's little opportunity for advancement w/o a degree, or that they'd really like to do something else. I'd never discourage anyone from going to college.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd never discourage anyone from going to college.
I might. Or at least urge them to spend a "gap year" doing something constructive between high school and college if I thought they just weren't suited to college. Not everyone is. I keep saying it, but I know a lot of successful, creative people who did not go to college. (They do, however, have a work ethic and a drive that's unbelievable. These are the people who don't take "no" for an answer.)

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Good luck with those two. You'll have to fill out a FAFSA to qualify for any need based financial aid. They calculate an EFC (expected family contribution). Unless you are nearly destitute, you will not be eligible for any need-based grants, just loans and on-campus jobs. Scholarships are less picky about financial need, but you're competing with students of equal or greater ability than yours (your kid's). Many public colleges do not give out much fin. aid at all for in-state students; they seem to feel the discount you get for tuition is scholarship enough. See the education forum for more details.

Well, I agree college is not for everyone, however, I think everyone can benefit from attending college. Most vocation programs are through the community colleges these days; a lot of them grant an Associate's degree as well as the vocational certification. Some people are attracted to a profession that does not require a four year committment (or more) in college, only to find out that there's little opportunity for advancement w/o a degree, or that they'd really like to do something else. I'd never discourage anyone from going to college.
There are lots of things that people can benefit from...but that wasn't the question. My feeling, as a parent, is that I will help them become financially self sufficient. That may be college, that may be trade or vocational school, or something different. I have nothing against college (DH and I both have degrees, and we are helping our DD through college as we speak) but I don't think it's the be-all, end-all for everyone. If I had a child who had a clear idea of what they wanted to do in life, and it didn't require college, why would I spend tens of thousands of dollars for something they did not want or need? I'd think the money would be better spent, helping them prepare for/achieve what they DID want to do. Or if they did not have a clue what they might want to do, if it were financially possible, like DewDropInn said, encourage them to spend a "gap year" doing something that might help them figure out what it was they want to do. Endlessly changing majors, retaking classes they don't do well in (if that is an issue) and ending up feeling like a failure after several years and thousands of dollars trying to become what other people think they "should" be, can't be great for a person either.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-22-2011 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,738,215 times
Quote:

There are other grants and scholarships available for students other than those requiring a financial limit by family (heck, I earned a 6K grant to attend college for winning a writing essay on why I wanted to go into law enforcement- which I never used because I decided to join the military instead). Either way, we won't be footing his bill for college. There are many other options out there to help him earn his way if he chooses to go to college

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
[SIZE=2]I know this my seem like a weird question, but I don't see how it makes sense to pay $40-50K a year for an undergrad education. Where we come from college is free, so my mother did not understand paying for college. When I went, I chose a cheap school and she gave me about $500 a month to cover expenses. I worked all summer, entire 14 weeks, 60 hours a week to have spending money during the school year. I graduated with $20K in student loans and an undergrad degree.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]When I have my kids, unless they are passionate about something or really have an aptitude, I would say go to state school or community college until you figure out what you really want to do. I would have them work to pay expenses and I would cover some of the expenses as well. I'll leave the Ivy League out of it, but is school name really that important for most professions? In accounting, they don't really look at your school, they look at your experience and certifications. I k now law school, med school and prestigous MBA schools don't apply here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My brother made a big stink that it was my mother's duty to pay for his college and she shelled out $14K a year for him to go to a $45K a year school. He has $70K in loans, but did get a job right out of college making $50K. His field is engineering. I figure if he did engineering at UCONN (where he got a full ride), he would be doing the same thing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Is my thinking this way because I see so many college grads with debt up towards the 6 figures with a job paying $30K a year?[/SIZE]
Nothing i9s really free;someone pays. A coillege degreee does mean that the competition is over 'it just gets you thru the door and then it foud just now good you are compared to others. Its always that way.But it certainly means you will make more if your degree is useable in a profession( sone are not as they are so general and not valued economically. But the average is twice the lifetime income.and even now about $5 chance of unemloyment copred to 9+%.Its not a wise choice of course to get a degree that cost 100K in loans but pays 30K and never has been. But that is the indivdual; not the norm of the best schools. Many are the ones that make the millions makig their degreee seem like buying a new car really.Of course; people ahve to be realistic on the abilties and how best to sue them;that has never changed. There are no guarantees with much in life really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or