Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,477,613 times

Advertisements

Here’s a sticky wicket for you: the mother of a 21-year-old mentally challenged woman in Britain is asking a court for permission to sterilize her daughter so she will not continue getting pregnant. The daughter, who is referred to in court as P to protect her anonymity, already has two young children who are being raised by P’s mother, Mrs. P, who lives with them.

Mom Wants Mentally Challenged Daughter Sterilized | The Frisky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,736,630 times
I feel for the mother but shouldn't she be more concerned that her daughter is going out and having sex when she isn't mentally capable enough to understand the consequences? What other kinds of reckless choices is the daughter making?

The mom didn't help matters by taking in the first one, although there's no guarantee that if they hadn't, she wouldn't have just kept having more anyway.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,899,725 times
I admire the Mom and her determination. Nobody else will take responsibility for this woman and her kids. She should have the right to have this young woman sterilized.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,227,316 times
sticky is right....I feel for this mom, and I think she should take more controll over who her daughter goes out with...these men should absolutely have to help her support their children.Also I feel that sterilization for this young woman just because she is mentally challenged is not fair....how many women out there who are not mentally challenged keep having kids, even though they can't support them...LOTS, should we force sterilization on them too??

Old 02-19-2011, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,541,681 times
People who have no ability to financially provide for their children should not keep having them. If the mother is the one who ends up supporting and raising them, then I would think she should have some say in the matter.

It's difficult when these mentally handicapped women are raped continually by men who have no regard for them and have no intention of ever paying child support for their children.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,999,926 times
We had a neighbor's who's mentally retarded daughter got pregnant. What a mess. She was excited that she had a baby in her stomach....but had no real idea concept of being a mother. They ended up putting the baby up for adoption because the elderly parents had enough trying to support their 29 year old daughter.

It would have been better for all concerned had her tubes been tied early on. It is a lot less traumatizing than an abortion or having to give the baby up after the fact.

BTW, this young woman had not been raped or abused. She had a boyfriend she met at the special olympics who was also mentally challenged. They did look cute walking around holding hands....smiling ear to ear. But the end result was not happy at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
sticky is right....I feel for this mom, and I think she should take more controll over who her daughter goes out with...these men should absolutely have to help her support their children.Also I feel that sterilization for this young woman just because she is mentally challenged is not fair....how many women out there who are not mentally challenged keep having kids, even though they can't support them...LOTS, should we force sterilization on them too??
Not forced but we should not pay able bodied women to breed out of control no matter what their IQ. Women with IQ's of 150 should also be strongly encouraged to have some responsibility, if they have no means to financially provide for children then they shouldn't have them.

It's a difficult problem, yes the daughter thinks she likes babies and obviously likes sex but just keeping her knocked up and turning her babies over to someone else isn't doing any one a favor, including her.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,992,562 times
This mother absolutely should be able to have her daughter sterilized. The daughter will NEVER be able to support or take care of any children she has.

This mother is just trying to do the responsible thing.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,267,292 times
Yes. It should not even be a public issue, it is a private family matter. We can't judge this Mother or young woman. My heart breaks for the whole situation. Kudos to the Mother.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,530,080 times
I'm not quite sure why this is making the news headlines, as this is a common issue that faces many families in a similar situation. I think it's best dealt with on a case by case basis with, in this case, the daughter, the parents, and her doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting