Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL - I was wondering the same thing when I saw the thread in Fashion about when should women stop shopping in the junior dept. I wondered where the thread was about "when should men stop shopping in the "young mens" dept? When should they stop wearing jeans that sag? Or backward ball caps? Or, on the other end....can we talk "comb-overs"?
I'm wondering when that happens too. My son recently went shopping for new clothes because he wants to dress more adult-like. He is looking for a hoodie alternative, but hasn't found it yet. It's like there's not an inbetween look for young adult males---either too young or too mature.

I have girlfriend whose husband is a surgeon. He wore cargo pants to work. His partners had a 'talk' with him about dressing more professionally. They told him that he wasn't 'selling' as many surgeries as he should have been because he wasn't conveying 'experience' with his appearance. Can you imagine? He didn't have the sense to dress like an adult and he is a doctor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can relate. I have to walk with my neck bent if I go into my basement wearing my shoes.

Ceiling fans aren't a problem since our ceilings are 10' high throughout the house.

My basement ceiling must be under 6' though because I'm only 5'11" with 3'1/2" heels.
I'm 6' 1/2" barefoot.

I looked at a cute little house last year that I immediately discounted when I went into the basement because not only was the ceiling low, but I would have had to do a limbo dance under the ductwork to get to the washing machine.

If I were rich, I'd have my home redone to raise doorknobs, sinks, countertops, etc., to a comfortable height.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If I were rich, I'd have my home redone to raise doorknobs, sinks, countertops, etc., to a comfortable height.
I hear you. I can't work standing at a table. I know that's what it is like for you to stand at a kitchen counter. My son (who is your height) even complains that he's too tall for restaurant work because the counters are too low for him. Being bent over all the time is tiring. The world isn't made for tall people. A short person can stand on a stool, but a tall person really has no options.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
I hear you. I can't work standing at a table. I know that's what it is like for you to stand at a kitchen counter. My son (who is your height) even complains that he's too tall for restaurant work because the counters are too low for him. Being bent over all the time is tiring. The world isn't made for tall people. A short person can stand on a stool, but a tall person really has no options.
Hey, the world is not made for short people either. If I was designing my house I would put everything down at least 12 inches. I cannot stand having to get a stool in order to get things. And, I cannot get things on the top shelves at the grocery, so I have to ask someone to reach that for me.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Hey, the world is not made for short people either. If I was designing my house I would put everything down at least 12 inches. I cannot stand having to get a stool in order to get things. And, I cannot get things on the top shelves at the grocery, so I have to ask someone to reach that for me.
Same. I have wine glasses on a shelf that are more for decretive reasons unless I feel like dragging out my step ladder. I also have high up storage where I keep my suit case and have almost met my demise trying to put it back up there. Forget about putting anything in the over head compartment on a plane.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, the world is not made for short people either. If I was designing my house I would put everything down at least 12 inches. I cannot stand having to get a stool in order to get things.
Yeah, I know. I was just pointing out that short people at least have an option with a stool. It would be nice if kitchens didn't come in standard sizes.

Quote:
And, I cannot get things on the top shelves at the grocery, so I have to ask someone to reach that for me.
I always get things off the shelf for people. They don't even need to ask. If I see them reaching, I just get it for them.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:

I always get things off the shelf for people. They don't even need to ask. If I see them reaching, I just get it for them.
Sorry but I just had to ....

Tall person: here is the ketchup from the top shelf.
short person: Thank you but I don't want the ketchup.
Tall Person: But you were reaching for it.
short person: No I wasn't
Tall Person: Yes you were
short person: No I wasn't
Tall Person: Yes you were. I saw you.
short person: I was stretching. I have a sore back.
Tall Person: You should try 'sore back cream' right there on the bottom shelf.
Short person: Good idea.
Tall person: While you are down there, can you get it for me please, I have a sore back and can't bend over?

Not sure what this has to do with mom's dressing sexy. Maybe when wearing a short skirt she can't reach up for the stuff on the top shelf.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Not sure how old this video is, but I found an episode of MTV True Life called "I Have Embarrassing Parents". One of the girls featured on here has a mom who always makes it a point to dress sexy, even when she's picking her up from school or being around her daughter's friends. Here's the link:

True Life | I Have Embarrassing Parents 2 | MTV

Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,968 times
That was sad to watch. If mom want to dress like that fine. But she must be starving for a compliment to be making her daughters friends look at pictures of her. Does mom not know that they are all laughing at her and making fun of her? I think mom should go wherever she wants and dress however she wants if it is not in front of her daughters friends.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I am talking about those moms who have their shirts cut off or pulled up to show off their midriff's and have their cleavage hanging out, and wearing low rise pants/shorts/mini skirts with their thongs sticking out. Have you seen them? The ones who dress sexy around their children. I think these kids are embarrassed with the way their mom dresses? I know I would be!

I personally think it's inappropriate for a mom to walk around like that. A woman can be sexy in so many ways. But as a mom, don't you think they need to cover up. I don't mean like a nun. But dress appropriately. In fact, my kids are the first to tell me that I have too much makeup on (when I think I don't). But out of respect for my kids, I tone it down.

What are your thoughts?
I wouldn't dress like that either way. Mom or no mom.

To me, it's not the "mom" thing. It's the "trash" aspect that would bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting