U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I totally agree. Newborns sleep a ton if you let them. They want to be close to a warm body and warm milk at all times. If you let them sleep next to mom and nurse at will, then you will all get a lot more sleep than someone who is up and down all night trying to get baby to sleep independently in a crib.

Babies are not meant to be independent. Don't set up expectations that they are, and you will have much less stress in parenting.
Yes - I know a guy - age 25 - but he has to get up and work early - he was adament the baby wasn't going to be in the bed but after a few nights of lost sleep and difficulty for him getting up to work all day, guess where the baby ended up.

The need for sleep sometimes changes the picture, now their little baby is snuggled up between them, happy and quiet as a clam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you let them in the bed, they won't keep you awake all night.

That won't work for every couple obviously - but if you both need your sleep - both parents work for example then sleep might be necessary. If one parent doesn't work then staying up all night is an option.
This is fine if that is the way you want to go, but beware. That child could also be in bed with you for years to come and it may be difficult to get them out.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
This is fine if that is the way you want to go, but beware. That child could also be in bed with you for years to come and it may be difficult to get them out.

Good luck!
True - at least they might be there for a couple of years. It's just that with newborns you can make it easy or difficult. But yes, once you start something, then you might plan to stay the course, but of course a full night's sleep can be very important also.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,988,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to say, Im gonna be a 1st child dad at 41 yrs. old (Yes it was planned if anyone is wondering). My wife is now 9wks had first ultrasound, and we are getting ready to announce to grandparents this weekend which will totally suprise them since they have given up on the though of us having kids.

Cool thing is my Brother and SIL are expecting with a due date just 1 wk later than ours. Grandparents on my side are going to get a really big suprise.

Anyway, to get to my original point, anybody out there want to throw out newborn advice for first time dads. Im all ears.

Congratulations!!! Fantastic news!!!

My first advice is to get help during the first months. Grandparents, babysitters, friends...anyone who could help you 2 with the housework and food. This was our biggest mistake. Your wife will need to recover from delivery and especially if she decides to breastfeed, she will need to eat, A LOT.

I remember when my son was just born. My husband spent a lot of time food shopping, preparing meals, and doing housework. My baby was on my breast a lot and I needed homemade meals and a lot of sleep and rest. I regret that we didn't have help, because it limited my husband from also enjoying the baby.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM

101 posts, read 258,343 times
Great to here and congratulations.

First don't chunk the tyke like a football, they dont like that(just joking)

Only thing I can add is be careful supporting their heads when they are born, also even though it doesn't make much sense from a safety view but with SIDS laying them on their stomach when they sleep is not a good idea.

Enjoy them while they are young, cause when they get older everything they did with you when they were little they usually dont do in the teen years.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times
40 y/o mom here of two. Ages 21 and 18.
My best advice to you would be to enjoy each stage of the child because it goes by faster than we imagine it ever could. Make date nights with the s/o and don't forget to enjoy each other as a couple. A good marriage and happy partners make better parents. Things will come up like potty training, teaching baby to sleep through the night, cup training and removing bottles if they apply, and it's a good idea if you and s/o are going to be on the same page when those times come. Also basic child rearing, I suggest the two of you make sure you agree on how rewards will be given or discipline, just to keep things in harmony. Newborns are generally pretty easy imho unless they have colic or some other issue but that stage is short lived and the more challenging times come.

Congrats on your new upcoming addition.

The best thing ever is seeing your baby smile

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,675,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to say, Im gonna be a 1st child dad at 41 yrs. old (Yes it was planned if anyone is wondering). My wife is now 9wks had first ultrasound, and we are getting ready to announce to grandparents this weekend which will totally suprise them since they have given up on the though of us having kids.

Cool thing is my Brother and SIL are expecting with a due date just 1 wk later than ours. Grandparents on my side are going to get a really big suprise.

Anyway, to get to my original point, anybody out there want to throw out newborn advice for first time dads. Im all ears.

you poor poor man

Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM

1,079 posts, read 938,538 times
Every newborn is different. Some are more high needs than others. This holds true when they get older. Barring medical issues, never wake a sleeping baby. They will let you know when they are hungry, need a diaper change, etc. Use common sense. Basic hygenic and sanitation practices are sufficient for newborns without health problems. The only things my ex and I did differently was sterilize their bottles and wipe the changing table with bleach water after each use. We also had three big hairy dogs.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM

16 posts, read 282,486 times
Research breastfeeding, vaccines, car seat safety and starting solids too early and beauty product safety as much as you can so you can make an informed choice. . .

Sleep when baby sleeps

Hold baby as much as possible

Not every baby can "cry it out" or sleep alone in a crib. Do what's best for you AND your baby.

Enjoy

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

34,581 posts, read 42,741,316 times
You are so lucky! I was a young mother, so most of my kids were grown at your age. I wish I could have them back now.
I think mature parents don't have the same pressures that young ones do. You can roll with the punches and see the humor in the little human, the size of a loaf of bread, totally taking over your life.
It will keep you young...whether you want it to or not. In 10 years, when your contemporaries are sitting on the porch, you will be coaching baseball or soccer. Which sounds like more fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting