U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,706 posts, read 2,922,123 times
Reputation: 1741

Advertisements

DH was just shy of 40 when he became a dad, I'm a bit younger than him. He's a great dad because he wants to be involved in our daughter's life. That is the key, be involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: NC
1,696 posts, read 3,844,713 times
Reputation: 1852
congrats! And my advice- never ASK for advice- youll get more than you want and it will all be different! LOL

Do what feels right for you and your wife.

the most important thing.... LOVE and CARE for your baby. you will be tired at times (many times) grumpy, exhausted and at times, worried if you are doing the right thing. The right thing is different for everyone. Do what comes naturally and what your baby seems to need, and it will all work out in the end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Reputation: 60100
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to say, Im gonna be a 1st child dad at 41 yrs. old (Yes it was planned if anyone is wondering). My wife is now 9wks had first ultrasound, and we are getting ready to announce to grandparents this weekend which will totally suprise them since they have given up on the though of us having kids.

Cool thing is my Brother and SIL are expecting with a due date just 1 wk later than ours. Grandparents on my side are going to get a really big suprise.

Anyway, to get to my original point, anybody out there want to throw out newborn advice for first time dads. Im all ears.
Love your baby, and make it your goal, above all else, to raise the child to be a good person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
 
304 posts, read 485,317 times
Reputation: 408
My advice is: you can't hold a newborn too much and you can't spoil a baby, all research suggests this and nothing else. Respond to cries. Be involved and make sure both parents get to sleep sometimes, resentment comes really fast if one carries the load alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Sudcaroland
10,664 posts, read 7,705,128 times
Reputation: 31964
Congratulations!

FYI, we have a 7-week old baby, and hubby is 46... he didn't have any problem adjusting to be a dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
My advice is: you can't hold a newborn too much and you can't spoil a baby, all research suggests this and nothing else. Respond to cries. Be involved and make sure both parents get to sleep sometimes, resentment comes really fast if one carries the load alone.
That's what I was going to suggest.
Also: help the mom as much as you can, cook, go grocery shopping, do the laundry etc etc... If there are things you don't know how to do in the house, learn while your wife is pregnant!
I couldn't have made it without my husband since I had an emergency c-section, a hard time recovering, and noone else to help me! Be aware that, for any reason, your wife may not be able to do much in the first few weeks, and will need all the help and support you can give her.
If you can take a vacation/ days off work in the first few days after your wife and baby are released from the hospital, that would be just great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,237,546 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to say, Im gonna be a 1st child dad at 41 yrs. old (Yes it was planned if anyone is wondering). My wife is now 9wks had first ultrasound, and we are getting ready to announce to grandparents this weekend which will totally suprise them since they have given up on the though of us having kids.

Cool thing is my Brother and SIL are expecting with a due date just 1 wk later than ours. Grandparents on my side are going to get a really big suprise.

Anyway, to get to my original point, anybody out there want to throw out newborn advice for first time dads. Im all ears.


Congratulations!!
Lots of hugs and love,
The more people involved in the babies life the better,
And Im big on breast feeding..the best thing your wife can do for your child,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
 
144 posts, read 244,088 times
Reputation: 162
Thanks all for the suggestions. I figured I will be doing plenty while wife is recovering. Lucky for me I am already the cook, but household chores will be rough. SLEEP part is scary . I am one of those people who love to get 8 hrs. a night, guess I can say bye to that for a while . I definitely plan to share the load in the upbringing, If I had done this 15 years ago I dont know If I would be this way, being an older dad does seem to make it easier (more laid back and mature I guess).

Told grandparents this weekend and they were shocked and thrilled at the same time. ha ha, they had admitted they gave up on us giving them grandkids a couple years ago. We definetly have support from Grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: NC
1,696 posts, read 3,844,713 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I figured I will be doing plenty while wife is recovering. Lucky for me I am already the cook, but household chores will be rough. SLEEP part is scary . I am one of those people who love to get 8 hrs. a night, guess I can say bye to that for a while . I definitely plan to share the load in the upbringing, If I had done this 15 years ago I dont know If I would be this way, being an older dad does seem to make it easier (more laid back and mature I guess).

Told grandparents this weekend and they were shocked and thrilled at the same time. ha ha, they had admitted they gave up on us giving them grandkids a couple years ago. We definetly have support from Grandparents.
i havent had a full 8 hours of sleep in over 13 years.....i also havent taken a bath or shower without being interrupted in just about as long.

welcome to parenthood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,603,756 times
Reputation: 1542
Enjoy and savor the little things. Write down milestones or special moments, so that you will have stories to tell him/her about their first words or temperment as a baby. Takes tons of photos and video, so that you can watch those moments again years later. We still watch my son's first "bath" at the hospital right after he was born. You will be amazed at the growth and development, especially when you can watch it in stages. You'd also be amazed at the little things that they remember years later. Take pictures and video of your wife while she's pregnant too.

Don't go overboard on the babyroom, baby items and clothes. They grow out of clothes very quickly and sometimes, have no interest in some of the toys. Invest in a good carseat and stroller.

Most of all, just love the little one! Congrads to you and your wife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top