Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,981,547 times

Advertisements

without turning them off/ driving them away?
Just feeling alittle down right now about some things. How do you get across to your kids that need to succeed, the will to do something 100%, whether it's a sport, schoolwork or mowing the lawn?
My husband and I always try to do our best. We talk about the importance of putting all your effort into something. I feel like other kids get it, mine don't, so it must be something I'm not doing or am doing wrong.
I appreciate all opinions, it's just been a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
How old are they?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM

101 posts, read 288,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How old are they?

Thats a big theme, it was so much easier when they were younger but now that mine are late teens its hard because of the stage their in.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,847,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Just feeling alittle down right now about some things. How do you get across to your kids that need to succeed, the will to do something 100%, whether it's a sport, schoolwork or mowing the lawn?
My husband and I always try to do our best. We talk about the importance of putting all your effort into something. I feel like other kids get it, mine don't, so it must be something I'm not doing or am doing wrong.

You give em cash

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,847,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How old are they?

21 and filled with angst! Usually found texting on a mobile device such as a blackberry.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,981,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
boys, 11 and 14

Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,331,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
21 and filled with angst! Usually found texting on a mobile device such as a blackberry.

If they're 21 kick 'em out! You have no legal obligation to pamper them anymore, they will "do their best' when its that or not eat! Just like you "do your best" because you're responsible for yourself, no work, no pay, let them now learn what it means to be an adult! childhood is over!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
If they're 21 kick 'em out! You have no legal obligation to pamper them anymore, they will "do their best' when its that or not eat! Just like you "do your best" because you're responsible for yourself, no work, no pay, let them now learn what it means to be an adult! childhood is over!
I don't think pm was being serious. Her kids are much younger. I believe she was teasing another poster...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,331,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromLA View Post
Thats a big theme, it was so much easier when they were younger but now that mine are late teens its hard because of the stage their in.

Well, $hit, I'm in a "phase" too, I'm in a phase where I'm pretending I'm not the maid in the Hilton! wonder how long it will take for me to outgrow that "phase"?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,006,204 times
When my son was six years old, he wanted to join the Cubscouts. We signed him up, and my husband took a very active role and volunteered as a leader. It was a great experience. My son is now 12 and has begun his second year in the Boyscouts. He was just promoted to Assistant Patrol Leader, and has grown so much in terms of his sense of confidence, teamwork and leadership abilities.

I can't say enough good things about the program. It is BOY run and, if you haven't checked it out yet, I would highly recommend it for your 11 year old and or your 14 year old to get involved. They age out at 18. These boys go on camp outs, they sell their own camp cards/popcorn/chocolate to help pay for summer camp and other activities. They cook their own meals, take hikes, go to "merit college" (earning merits) and so much more. Of course there are adult leaders to guide them. But it is so empowering for these boys to do things independently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting