U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times

Advertisements

I think girls should be allowed to shave when they have really thick dark hair on their legs and armpits too . My mom would not allow me to get in a bathing suit at all because she did not believe in them . She also did not want me shaving before I was 15 and I cannot tell you how much I was embarassed especially in gym . I never showered in gym or dressed out . My mother raised me to be ashamed of my body and until I was grown I was .I still have problems going to the dr all because of my mother . so please ladies let your daughter shave when and where she wants too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Why did she need it. When I was a teen none of the girls did that. The only reason they need it is so they can wear very revealing garments. What is wrong with a little modesty? This whole topic gets me riled up. We teach the little girls from the get go that they are just a hunk of meat. If 1% of what was directed at girls about their looks and their bodies was directed at their inner beauty and their individuality and their intrinsic worth we would not have so many screwed up young women.

Okay, now let's live in the "real" world...If you have not been to a high school, or middle school lately, those girls are mean, you don't want to "stand" out as a wierdo who does not shave or wax, believe me. Being a teen in hard enough these days.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,672,835 times
If she has hair on her legs now then let her shave

Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,672,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think girls should be allowed to shave when they have really thick dark hair on their legs and armpits too . My mom would not allow me to get in a bathing suit at all because she did not believe in them . She also did not want me shaving before I was 15 and I cannot tell you how much I was embarassed especially in gym . I never showered in gym or dressed out . My mother raised me to be ashamed of my body and until I was grown I was .I still have problems going to the dr all because of my mother . so please ladies let your daughter shave when and where she wants too .

Pfft i would have ignored my mother and did it anyway.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM

852 posts, read 1,135,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
That's exactly what I did! I wasn't *allowed* to shave until I was 13, and I started at 11 with my dad's single blade razor. I do not want my daughter to have to sneak and possibly get a bad cut from not knowing how to do shave properly.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,163,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
That's exactly what I did! I wasn't *allowed* to shave until I was 13, and I started at 11 with my dad's single blade razor. I do not want my daughter to have to sneak and possibly get a bad cut from not knowing how to do shave properly.
This brings back memories. My mom and older sister never showed me how to shave properly. I picked up a razor at 12 and started shaving my legs. I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking, but I looked at the bottom of the razor full of hair and used my thumb to swipe across it and clean it.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,844,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I looked at the bottom of the razor full of hair and used my thumb to swipe across it and clean it.
AGHH!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM

60 posts, read 39,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hi all! I'm wondering when I will let my daughter shave/wax her legs. Also, when do girls start tweezing/waxing their eyebrows? She is 10 now, and I know it's too soon, but I was wondering when we start dealing with this. She has hair below the knees. I was also curious which is better for a youngish girl, waxing or shaving. I ask because I have only shaved, never waxed. I also can't for the life of me remember when I started shaving my legs. I think I tweezed my eyebrows for the first time when I was in 7th grade. Thanks
My wife handled this issue but we both discussed it. Our daughter started to shave under her arms (at 9) when she announced she didn't like having hair there. When my wife explained the never ending need to shave her arm pit she, my wife, followed up with the discussion about all body hair and offered several types of hair removal options but we leave the choice to our daughter.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,654,296 times
Never to early to start teaching kids.

Encourage her to look beautiful. I think you will find she feels good and generally more confident.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No , Im sorry you did not ignore my mother if you did you got it on your backside and then some . My mother demanded that we obey her and if you did 'nt then you knew what was coming and it was not pretty . My mother was abusive and loud and she was in control . You simply did not ignore her or disobey her .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting