U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times

Advertisements

I understand making children wait until certain ages to earn certain privileges (ear piercing, cell phone, facebook page, etc.), but I've never understood the logic behind *you can't shave until you're___.* If the child feels embarrassed by her body hair, then let her shave. It seems like between 9 and 11 is the current norm for shaving. I've shaved my legs and armpits every day for as long as I can remember. It just becomes part of the hygiene routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,327,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
. It seems like between 9 and 11 is the current norm for shaving.
Unless you are my sister. One time when my mom was out she convinced my dad she was allowed to shave and she was 7. My dad helped her shave (only to the knee, she really didn't have any hair) and when my mom came home boy was she confused/mad. My dad really has no clue about the needs to girls so I think he was just trying to be a good dad.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Unless you are my sister. One time when my mom was out she convinced my dad she was allowed to shave and she was 7. My dad helped her shave (only to the knee, she really didn't have any hair) and when my mom came home boy was she confused/mad. My dad really has no clue about the needs to girls so I think he was just trying to be a good dad.
This story cracked me up! I'm sure he was trying to be a good dad!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM

741 posts, read 1,026,330 times
LOL to the above stories.
Please let her shave when she expresses a desire. My mom told me only married women were "allowed" to shave and the only reason I was wanting to shave my legs was because I must want to go have sex with someone. What a hassle, I had to shave in secret behind her back for years, all the way until I left for college (years ago now). To this day she is convinced I never shaved at home, oh how crafty I was. I have told her in passing over the years that OF COURSE I WAS SHAVING, though she still doesn't believe me.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM

5,956 posts, read 6,389,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No , Im sorry you did not ignore my mother if you did you got it on your backside and then some . My mother demanded that we obey her and if you did 'nt then you knew what was coming and it was not pretty . My mother was abusive and loud and she was in control . You simply did not ignore her or disobey her.
I'm sorry but ---I--- was in control of my body, had your mother been my mother, not only would I have shaved whatever and whenever I wanted but as a teenager if a hand had been laid on me cuffs would have been laid on her.
Just the thought of someone controlling my body and my decisions with it just strikes a nerve deep down inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I understand making children wait until certain ages to earn certain privileges (ear piercing, cell phone, facebook page, etc.), but I've never understood the logic behind *you can't shave until you're___.* If the child feels embarrassed by her body hair, then let her shave. It seems like between 9 and 11 is the current norm for shaving. I've shaved my legs and armpits every day for as long as I can remember. It just becomes part of the hygiene routine.
Same here, for as long as I can remember I have shaved everyday, I HATE hair, unless its on your head it gets so gross and disgusting and traps sweat and other crap which causes odor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
LOL to the above stories.
Please let her shave when she expresses a desire. My mom told me only married women were "allowed" to shave and the only reason I was wanting to shave my legs was because I must want to go have sex with someone. What a hassle, I had to shave in secret behind her back for years, all the way until I left for college (years ago now). To this day she is convinced I never shaved at home, oh how crafty I was. I have told her in passing over the years that OF COURSE I WAS SHAVING, though she still doesn't believe me.
My mom told me at 11 that only WOMEN wore make up and that the ONLY reason they did was to get men to have sex with them...now I'm 21 and know that's so not true men could careless if you are wearing make-up or not...
At 13 my mom told me no to tampons because virgins didn't wear tampons and only women who had already had sex used tampons and then proceeded to look at me and yell ARE -YOU- READY FOR SEX??

If I ever act like that so help me because I would rather be shot than act like that...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM

13,135 posts, read 17,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm sorry but ---I--- was in control of my body, had your mother been my mother, not only would I have shaved whatever and whenever I wanted but as a teenager if a hand had been laid on me cuffs would have been laid on her.
Just the thought of someone controlling my body and my decisions with it just strikes a nerve deep down inside.

Same here, for as long as I can remember I have shaved everyday, I HATE hair, unless its on your head it gets so gross and disgusting and traps sweat and other crap which causes odor.

My mom told me at 11 that only WOMEN wore make up and that the ONLY reason they did was to get men to have sex with them...now I'm 21 and know that's so not true men could careless if you are wearing make-up or not...
At 13 my mom told me no to tampons because virgins didn't wear tampons and only women who had already had sex used tampons and then proceeded to look at me and yell ARE -YOU- READY FOR SEX??

If I ever act like that so help me because I would rather be shot than act like that...
Let me explain that in a time when i grew up you could call the police on your parents but you would be the one getting a lecture and a big cop telling you to suck it up and they are your parents and it was considered a family matter . It is not like today where cops lock parents up back in the 50s they did not lock up parents for spanking their kids . Nor did anyone care most adults looked the other way including teachers because it was considered none of their business. Just thought I would clear that up for you because it does not sound like you are much past your twentys.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
It's nonsense to place arbitrary age rules to something like personal grooming habits.

Two of my daughters had dark hair on legs, underarms and forearms. When they expressed desire to do something about it, we got them what they needed although I had no experience with forearm hair. As I recall I think we did some sort of bleaching for awhile. Both have saved for laser treatments for bikini line, upper lip and pits and tops of fingers and toes.
One daughter is very blond and I don't think she had any interest in doing anything at all about it.

Now my little ones will be facing this sooner than I want to think. One has asked about deodorant use this summer which will be fine. When they ask about hair removal, we will deal with it at that time.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,736,854 times
This subject brings back a very painful and disturbing time in my life...

Let her shave if it is noticeable. I was a teen who was tormented, bullied to the point I almost took my own life at 11 because I could not take the hell I lived at school on the playground etc. My mom would not let me shave my legs and I also had a bit of a mustache. When I started high school first day I shaved, my legs, underarms and tweeze above my lip, without her permission. When my mom came home an I came home from HS..... She beat the hell out of me and left her mark. But, at least i was able to attend school and not have girls torment, bully me and calling me Magilla Gorilla.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,911,732 times
Does anyone have the opposite problem? A daughter who doesn't want to shave? What do you do in this circumstance?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,850,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Does anyone have the opposite problem? A daughter who doesn't want to shave? What do you do in this circumstance?

really, i guess theres no harm in NOT shaving (think European countries)... although I imagine she will eventually want to, if for no other reason than being teased at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting