U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,855,216 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm wondering when I will let my daughter shave/wax her legs. Also, when do girls start tweezing/waxing their eyebrows? She is 10 now, and I know it's too soon, but I was wondering when we start dealing with this. She has hair below the knees. I was also curious which is better for a youngish girl, waxing or shaving. I ask because I have only shaved, never waxed. I also can't for the life of me remember when I started shaving my legs. I think I tweezed my eyebrows for the first time when I was in 7th grade. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
My daughter is 12. I bought her a shaver at Christmas. She also had some hair on her legs (below the knee) at 10 or 11. I was going to wait until she was 13, but her hair was getting noticeable and I didn't want her to feel embarassed about it.

I don't know about waxing. I think that would be a choice I would let her make when she's a bit older. For now, shaving will do just fine.

I haven't let her touch her eyebrows. They are absolutely perfect -- the kind people pay money to get. Lucky her! LOL!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
I was 10 when I started shaving my legs.
So was every other girl in my class that year.

I think once SHE hits the age where she goes uhmm yeah this whole leg hair deal isn't flying with me anymore is the time to let her shave her legs.
Same for tweezing eyebrows.

That's such a personal thing and its just hair.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I asked my mom to show me how to shave my legs when I was in 7th grade, after hearing another girl, a popular girl even, being teased badly for having hair on her legs. I thought - Man, if that's what they do to her, a popular girl, I don't even want to find out what they will do to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM

34,529 posts, read 42,694,765 times
She will want to be like her friends. Just tell her that when she wants to shave her legs, you'll get her the supplies. At that age they want to be like everyone else, not the last remaining hairy girl.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM

424 posts, read 635,310 times
When she asks, let her. I hit puberty early and had hair under my arms and on my legs in 5th grade. My mother didn't shave her legs and didn't have much underarm hair, so shaving wasn't high on her list of concerns. I ended up taking my dad's razor and shaving my legs dry - I had no idea how it worked! I still have the scars. LOL So let her shave if she wants to/needs to, no matter her age.

And not to get too personal, but if she needs to shave her bikini area to wear a bathing suit, let her. I was on another board and a bunch of people were saying that would never let their child shave that area because it was "too grown" or some such nonsense. A girl's bathing suit can be modest but still reveal some things that she would rather not have seen.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
I started shaving around 10. I have black thick hair and it was really noticeable. I remember being teased in the first grade for my hairy legs!

I started eyebrows a little after that. Waxing. My mom didn't want to pluck me and I sure didn't want to pull all those little hairs out. Come to think of it I need an eyebrows wax now...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
And not to get too personal, but if she needs to shave her bikini area to wear a bathing suit, let her. I was on another board and a bunch of people were saying that would never let their child shave that area because it was "too grown" or some such nonsense. A girl's bathing suit can be modest but still reveal some things that she would rather not have seen.
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

There was a girl who used to come to the pool with us when I was about 12 who didn't do any grooming. She was my mom's friend's daughter and she was a little "slow". Well she liked to wear her bikini bottoms really high and the more she hiked them up the more the hair would come out. it was really quiet gross.

I was always shaving up there. I wasn't one of those girls who only have hair to the knee. I tell people I shave anything below my neck and wax anything above!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

There was a girl who used to come to the pool with us when I was about 12 who didn't do any grooming. She was my mom's friend's daughter and she was a little "slow". Well she liked to wear her bikini bottoms really high and the more she hiked them up the more the hair would come out. it was really quiet gross.

I was always shaving up there. I wasn't one of those girls who only have hair to the knee. I tell people I shave anything below my neck and wax anything above!
I once went to the pool with my friend and her mom and HER MOM was the one with hair hanging out....it was gross.

I'm a swimmer and have been since middle school and swimmers shave everything.

It was never anything I asked to do either, once I started shaving my legs if I saw hair somewhere else that I didn't want it I shaved it off.

I pluck my eyebrows though but I LOVE the way I do them.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
If she has hair on her legs that is longer than she's comfortable with then a parent should look past the age and take it on a case by case basis. Just teach them how to use the razor properly. It's pointless to make an issue over hair, IMO.

I remember a girl in junior high whose parents wouldn't let her shave and she was a hairy girl, poor thing. She had really long hair on her legs - me and her friends (mind you, we were only 11 or so) would tell her to "just do it anyway" because she was obviously embarrassed by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting