U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM

852 posts, read 1,135,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey likes View Post
Please sweetie, get out of the frig its only a forum.

You left your Moderator cut: rude words behind, next time take them too.
Here's a little quote that may help you in life;

"Effort does not always produce joy, but there is no happiness without intelligent effort"
Where exactly is the intelligent effort in joking about periods? Seems the opposite of intelligent to me. Moderator cut: No personal attacks. I think it's vulgar and disrespectful to your wife and daughter to discuss their "cycles" in an internet forum. Moderator cut: Enough already.

I just told my husband about this thread, and he got this confused look on his face and said "Seriously? They're saying that their husbands track their periods? That's just ****ed up."

I guess that we just love and respect each other too much to degrade each other like that.

And by the way, what exactly does this topic have to do with parenting?

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-25-2011 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks and commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,656,251 times
I think the OPs post is hilarious and very true!!

I used to work at a place and my co-workers were mostly male (the only other females were in the upstairs office & had nothing to do with us). Anyway, these guys had my cycle down to a science based upon my "moods".

When they saw the "moods" they would kind of "warn" one another. I remember one time, one of them yelled "Run for the hills. Save yourselves!!!". It actually cracked me up and dissolved my PMS!

(oh, and they were all great guys, all much younger than me. i considered them to be like younger brothers or even sons. they were never disrespectful about it at all.)

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
I closed this thread last night to give people a chance to cool down and stop the bickering and snide remarks. I'm reopening it to give it another chance, but:

1. Stick to the topic, which is about mother/daughter experiences. This is a parenting thread, and while many of us can enjoy sharing woes about periods and PMS, let's try to include our experiences as parents or young adults. I can move the thread to Health and Wellness, but only if you:

2. Keep it civil. Comments like, "Are you on the rag?" and "You must have PMS right now" are rude and often not appreciated. Other personal attacks will be deleted as well. It's fine to disagree, but try to play nice, please, or I'll have to close the thread again.

Thanks, everybody. Game on.

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-25-2011 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Giving the thread one more chance.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 AM

60 posts, read 39,394 times
Are there any guys out there who have this issue, with their daughters? A friend of mine is often touting his boys saying he's glad he'll never need to go through this experience so I really don't know too many people (guys) who do have this as an issue. Like I said in the original post this is a light-hearted discussion.
I find when my daughter is experiencing her mood swings a little extra TLC (and chocolate) goes a long way. Of course itís the same with my wife so maybe I just got lucky and hit the right number with both.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 AM

I wish I could remember the comedian who joked how his wife and two daughters were all on the same cycle. He said he'd hide in the bathroom while they clawed at the door and snarled at him to come out. I'd post the video if I could remember. It was pretty funny.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times
I think you're trapped. Good luck with the next several years.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,060,892 times
Hey, look on the bright side: you get all of the hormonal craziness out of the way at the same time! It could be worse if your daughter got her period the first week of the month, and your wife the third... you'd never get a break!

And yeah, I think that bodily functions are sometimes fun to joke about. I have a 17-year-old, a 10-year-old and a 7-year-old... poop and pee (and occasionally period) jokes are just par for the course.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I was raised that bodily functions are private matters, and I do think it's gross and tacky to discuss them in public forums.
He's not talking about bodily functions. He's talking about emotional functions---moodiness and irritability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
And we laugh plenty in our household, but we aim a little higher in our humor.
Telling someone where the chocholate is located is not low humor.

I can't imagine a better time for my husband to crack a joke than when I'm cranky.

Laughter has always been the best medicine for my being in a bad mood any time of the month.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-25-2011 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I wish I could remember the comedian who joked how his wife and two daughters were all on the same cycle. He said he'd hide in the bathroom while they clawed at the door and snarled at him to come out. I'd post the video if I could remember. It was pretty funny.
Was it Bill Cosby? It sounds like something he would have said. He had a lot of material on this subject.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Was it Bill Cosby? It sounds like something he would have said. He had a lot of material on this subject.
No, someone much more recent. I want to say Richard Jeni but my google search only turns up a funny bit about red wine and PMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or