U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I never get emotional during mine and don't understand people who do *shrugs*
That.

I hope to goodness the OP doesn't think every single woman on the planet goes postal for a few days (or weeks or whatever it is) a month. Many don't.

NOT saying our OP does this, but it gets to be a pretty slippery slope when a woman who is smart and asserts herself in the workplace and who dares to raise her voice (horrors) gets told by the men, "Oh, it's just your time of the month" and gets a condesending pat on the back.

Thanks, paganmama. And here I was going to stay out of this discussion.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-27-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 AM

852 posts, read 1,135,836 times
Thank you paganmama and Dew Drop!

I just don't understand all of this focus on women's cycles when I and every single woman friend I as well as my two sisters just live our lives, and it's really not a big deal at all. I am around the same group of women all of the time, and unless someone asks me for a tampon or a Motrin, I have no idea who is on it when.

I agree Dew Drop, and I think Finster said it earlier, that it's offensive when a woman who asserts herself is accused of being on her period. But to me, the *oh these silly women with their cycles and their silly crying and whining, get them some chocolate and cheesecake, ha ha, and oh the poor men who have to put up with them* tone of part of this thread is on the offensive side too. I don't know that anyone intends to belittle, but it is belittling.

I don't even like cheesecake.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM

852 posts, read 1,135,836 times
Thanks for the rep, Dew Drop. Can't rep you back, gotta spread the love!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM

2,514 posts, read 5,166,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Thank you paganmama and Dew Drop!

I just don't understand all of this focus on women's cycles when I and every single woman friend I as well as my two sisters just live our lives, and it's really not a big deal at all. I am around the same group of women all of the time, and unless someone asks me for a tampon or a Motrin, I have no idea who is on it when.

I agree Dew Drop, and I think Finster said it earlier, that it's offensive when a woman who asserts herself is accused of being on her period. But to me, the *oh these silly women with their cycles and their silly crying and whining, get them some chocolate and cheesecake, ha ha, and oh the poor men who have to put up with them* tone of part of this thread is on the offensive side too. I don't know that anyone intends to belittle, but it is belittling.

I don't even like cheesecake.
I was just about to say that I agree w/ everything in your post, until you said you don't like cheesecake.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM

60 posts, read 39,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That.

I hope to goodness the OP doesn't think every single woman on the planet goes postal for a few days (or weeks or whatever it is) a month. Many don't.

NOT saying our OP does this, but it gets to be a pretty slippery slope when a woman who is smart and asserts herself in the workplace and who dares to raise her voice (horrors) gets told by the men, "Oh, it's just your time of the month" and gets a condesending pat on the back.

Thanks, paganmama. And here I was going to stay out of this discussion.
Absolutely not, like I stated in the OP, this is just a lighthearted thread about my daughter and wife syncing up and the different perspective of one man.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,812,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey likes View Post
Absolutely not, like I stated in the OP, this is just a lighthearted thread about my daughter and wife syncing up and the different perspective of one man.
D*amn, Mikey, better you than me!! I've made similar "jokes"; it's a friggin' joke.. good to see that most women got it.. Hang tough!!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:26 PM

819 posts, read 1,317,287 times
I haven't read all the replies, but I can remember well when my husband used to threaten to build a menstrual hut like the Indians used to do.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
Sheesh, the thread was intended as a joke.

I feel bad for my stepdad Mike- He's going to have to deal with my mom going through menopause pretty soon, and in about four years my little sisters are going to be teenagers. They're not only going to be drop-dead gorgeous, they're gonna be stealing each others' boyfriends and clothes and then the whole "syncing" thing.. lol.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 AM

(Now remember, this is meant to be humorous and my wife has a lot more interaction than I mention here on this thread)

My daughter mentioned that her kidney was hurting (slight discomfort) and pointed to the right side of her pelvis, in the front. I gave her a big smile and said, “Sweetie, that’s not your kidney”. I mentioned she is probably ovulating and it might be her ovary not her kidney. She acknowledged the comment and asked, “Isn’t that when I make a new egg?” I said “I’m pretty sure, but not like a chicken”. She laughed at the thought of people (women) laying “eggs” when they ovulate so a slew of chicken jokes ensued.
Later that day my wife and I were outside on the back patio playing several games of Backgammon while our daughter was jumping on the trampoline and swinging on a rope swing I built (in one our huge trees.) She, our daughter, was singing laughing playing and every so often yells, “I love you mom and dad”. Then my wife stated, “This is a 180 from last weekend!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Another issue that my daughter has noticed, and feels strong enough to mention, is that as her girl friends (in school and home) start their cycles they become better friends. I can only speculate the reason for this but closer to the truth is I don’t have a clue. Even my wife is a bit stumped on this one. It may be as simple as, the new comers to the cycle are now able to empathize with those who already have a cycle and seek a sort of acceptance to receiving theirs. Or maybe its just a common bond they feel they share that brings them closer together.
Who knows? It’s all part of learning, growing and living this beautiful life. J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or